Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

HU issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HU issue

Having a problem with my Bose Radio on my 2003 g35. As im driving the radio will go from an FM station into "AUX" mode and stays stuck in that mode unless I turn off the car. The problem has been very intermittent, however lately its been doing it alot.

I was happy with the sound from my Bose however I dont want to buy another HU from Ebay and that not be the problem because of something like a short in the speaker wiring, Maybe someone can give me their opinion.

I also wanna add that I had an FM transmitter installed years back, (when i used Sirius) could that somehow be causing the problem?

I dont know any good car radio installers in my area really unsure if its even worth fixing.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrus32
Having a problem with my Bose Radio on my 2003 g35. As im driving the radio will go from an FM station into "AUX" mode and stays stuck in that mode unless I turn off the car. The problem has been very intermittent, however lately its been doing it alot.

I was happy with the sound from my Bose however I dont want to buy another HU from Ebay and that not be the problem because of something like a short in the speaker wiring, Maybe someone can give me their opinion.

I also wanna add that I had an FM transmitter installed years back, (when i used Sirius) could that somehow be causing the problem?

I dont know any good car radio installers in my area really unsure if its even worth fixing.
Not worth fixing or replacing with another stock HU. Do yourself a favor and just do the aftermarket conversion before you dump any more money into a fragile, weak factory system.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for answering, I have a few questions about installing a new radio.

Is it necessarily to buy a metra kit for proper installation?

would my old bose sub and amp still be wired the new radio? Im wondering in case the sub is what might be causing the problem.

about how much would i expect to pay on labor for a hu replace w/ a new aftermarket radio?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrus32
Thanks for answering, I have a few questions about installing a new radio.

Is it necessarily to buy a metra kit for proper installation?

would my old bose sub and amp still be wired the new radio? Im wondering in case the sub is what might be causing the problem.

about how much would i expect to pay on labor for a hu replace w/ a new aftermarket radio?
There's Metra and the JDM double din kits. It's not strictly necessary to get the trim, but you do need aftermarket a/c controls. If you're handy with a dremel or custom fab work, you can modify the OEM radio trim to house a double din face.

You can wire the old amp and sub into the new system, you just need the PAC ROEM-NIS2 to convert the signal from an aftermarket headunit.

Labor varies a lot, if you can find a willing forum member, it's as cheap as lunch, otherwise, $100-200 is fairly typical.

If you can make it to southern georgia, I'll help you out when I have a free weekend.