Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Door Lock Pulse Generator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Lock Pulse Generator

I am guessing that Kevin Pierson knows the answer to this question, and hopefully he is available. If another person knows, that would be great too!

I would like to install a DEI 452T Door Lock Pulse Generator. This is also called the Autoloc IS1000 ignition sensor switch. Car is 2004 coupe.

The wiring is simple, ground, power, switched power, - activation input or + activation input (lock), - activation input or + activation input (unlock).

Pulse is .8 second 200mA.

Power and ground are easy enough to figure out.
Switched power - is there a wire that is ignition operated that doesn't have retained accessory power that is near the door? I think all the power in the door has rap.
Is the door lock switch more complicated that sending negative activation pulses to lock or unlock the doors. I have looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the switch is a cpu that communicates with the BCM.

The main question is: Are there separate wires in the door for door lock activation and door unlock activation? All I see in the Service Manual is a Purple wire that is the Door Lock/Unlock Switch.

For door locking I could just get the KP module, but since it doesn't unlock the doors that isn't what I really want. I exit out of the drivers door and with the passenger door locked I am always having to grab the remote to get in the passenger door to pick stuff up off the seat. Am I correct in believing that the KP module communicates the lock signal to the BCM and doesn't generate a lock pulse?

Any answers will be appreciated.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You would be best off to install the module by the BCM. At the BCM you can get a true ignition signal. You can also 'hardwire' the door lock actuators from the drivers kick panel. You will need a couple of relays to do this and I can post a diagram a little later (after I make it).

In the door is ALL Rap, therefore why the KPtech won't unlock the doors. The original prototype had door unlocking but it was scrapped because of the RAP issue. However though, inside the door you can find (-) lock and (-) unlock wires.

The actual door lock switchs is very complicated. The switch is connected to the power window module. Upon pushing the door lock/unlock switch the power window module 'sees' it and transmits a CAN signal to the BCM to either lock or unlock the doors.

For the problem you describe above - exiting the vehicle and then having to to unlock the passengers door you would be able to use the RAP wire. Once you open the door it will unlock the other door, this of course is assuming you have a coupe.

The KPtech module uses the the signal to the BCM to generate the lock pulse, we have no direct connection to the solanoid.

Any other questions?

Old 12-31-2004, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin.

I guess I don't understand what the relay is for. The door lock pulse generator essentially just sends a negative pulse to trigger the lock or unlock.

In thinking about this after seeing that the door lock switch is not just a switch, but more a BCM input device I figured the only way would be to wire directly to the lock actuators. That would mean locating the wires either in the door or from the BCM that go to the lock actuators. For a minor feature I have lived without for a year I am starting to lose a little interest.

On your site you list a Speed Door Locking Control in development. Any chance that this module might lock the doors at a set speed, and unlock them when the car is turned off? You'd have an immediate customer if that was the case. I have thought of getting the Window roll up module and not connecting the window features too, and that is getting more interesting the more I have researched this. I don't really care about the window feature, and with so many people having window motor problems I don't want to hook something up that could be questioned if my motor(s) fail.

I would like the doors to unlock, but if I have to mess around with finding wires, installing relays, and giving Infiniti a chance to deny a warranty claim I may not use the pulse generator. BTW I went to a shop for an estimate yesterday and they said 6 hours labor. I told them they were crazy, and still think a decent installer could do the job in less than an hour. Does that sound about right time wise?

Greg
2004 coupe

Old 12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You will need a couple of relays to wire the pulse generator directly to the door lock acuators. They typical DEI (-) pulse output is capable of supplying ~100mA. This is not near enough current to lock and unlock the doors. Therefore, you use the (-) output to trigger a set of relays. One relay would lock, the other would unlock. Its a common '5 wire' doorlock setup. DEI actually makes a device (part number 451M) that is just for this purpose. It will turn to (-) pulses into 5 wire relay output actuator drivers and I think you can find them on Ebay for around $10. I finished my little drawing for how it should all be hooked up, if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I'm not sure how much the door lock generator was but KPtech could easily modify the win mod for the purpose you are after (minus the win mod part of it). Like I said before all the wires you need are in the drivers kick panel at the BCM.

The speed controlled door lock module is on the list of things to be developed, but I honestly haven't even started on it yet. I've been so busy working on the shift light module that I haven't done anything else lately!

Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Pulse Generator-doorlocks.jpg