Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice to Newbie...To double din or not to double din...that is the question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice to Newbie...To double din or not to double din...that is the question...

I just got a new 2004 G35 Sedan on 12/31 and want to get a navi for it. I really want an in-dash model. I like the look of the AVIC-N1 but my husband says that it is a waste if I am not going to use it to control the radio and as a cd player. He wants me to get one of the detachable units (like the Magellan Roadmate 700). I really don't want to tear out the center console and I am not sure about controlling the Bose in-dash 6 disc changer with the N1. I also want the DVD functionality, but he argues that it will be hard to watch a dvd from the back seat (for our daughter). I have read many postings in this forum and there seems to be alot of experts out there and a lot of people that own this unit. I guess I have 3 main questions:

1. Is it a "waste" to install the AVIC-N1 in the upper cubby and not use it to control the radio/cd?
2. Is it possible to remove the stock radio and cd player and replace it completely with the N1?
3. If I don't use the N1 to control the radio/cd can I still have it hooked into the car speakers and use the MP3 and DVD capabilities.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. Sound advice will sell it to me and install it for about 2400 dollars so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I plop all of that money down...

Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be the first to welcome you here Jennifer! Aloha.

Now on to your questions...
1. I don't think you can control your stock HU and CD changer with the AVIC...anyone confirm that? The wire harnesses on the back of your stock HU doesn not have any input for an aftermarket HU. Why would you want to anyway? With the AVIC, you have CD and DVD capability. Moreso, the AVIC can play mp3 files, making your 6 CD changer useless unless you like having 6 - 12 song discs in your changer vs. 1 -~200 song disc in your AVIC. It will cost some money to modify that navi cubby. There is the risk they might have to cut into the AC ducts behind your HVAC unit to correctly accomadate the AVIC HU's mounting depth. It can be done though.....

2. You can remove the stock Clarion deck and replace it with the AVIC but you will need to do the doubleDIN conversion. BUT, the parts you need are NOW available through Grubbs at a cheaper cost than getting them from J's Garage in Japan!!! I think diztorted on 6mt.net said it costed $330 for the parts you need from Grubbs.

3. You can use the stock speakers and amp with your AVIC. Remember, though, that the limitation to the stock sound system's sound quality is the stock speakers. Period. You will have a great HU in the AVIC with cool bells and whistles but you'll probably be dissapointed in the lack of sound quality improvement. This is the exact reason people end up at least swapping out the front separates and adding an amp to power them.

In terms of your daughter watching DVDs from the back seat, she probably won't have a good view of the AVIC screen if its located in the doubleDIN location, maybe a little better in the navi cubby position. Sorry, your husband's right on this one. But she'll probably have to lean way over onto the backseat center armrest to watch any movie. You're better off installing headrest monitors and either a remote mounted DVD player in the trunk or running a video-out off the AVIC ( i think the AVIC has a video-out huh??)

Let us know what you do.

doc

Last edited by docron1; 01-06-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
A couple more things I forgot...

The AVIC is a great HU with cool bells and whistles but in terms of performance, IMO it lacks a little. The reported pre-amp output, I think, is 1or 2 volts for the AVIC vs. Eclipses AVN or AVX's which are 5 or 8 volts output. My point to this is that if you are planning on driving the already poor stock speakers with a low-ouput HU, your sound quality will suffer and will be in need of an amp.

doc

Old 01-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Sound Advice
Originally Posted by jennifersmith23

1. Is it a "waste" to install the AVIC-N1 in the upper cubby and not use it to control the radio/cd?
Yes, and it can't control the stock HU.

2. Is it possible to remove the stock radio and cd player and replace it completely with the N1?
Yes, with a double din conversion kit. This is the best thing to do since you will improve the sound quality emensly. But since you are doing the double din conversion you may want to consider a double din unit like the ones offered by Kenwood or Eclipse so you don't have to have a flip out and the N-2 is comming out soon too.

3. If I don't use the N1 to control the radio/cd can I still have it hooked into the car speakers and use the MP3 and DVD capabilities.
Technically yes, but not a good idea.

For your daughter you should install headrest monitors and have them run off the video out of any one of the units I mentioned above.

Last edited by Rudy; 01-06-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod
remami stole my words. I agree with what he says. Get the double din and teh eclipse unit. THen you can probably make a piece that covers the eclipse unit.

Ed

Old 01-07-2005, 01:54 AM
First, welcome abourd, and enjoy your new G.

The N1 can be easily hooked into the stock sound system amp and speakers, there is no point in keeping the factory head unit, (nor can you really). Getting it to fit in the top cubbyhole will be almost impossible without major customization. The double din conversion is the only way to go. Forget about watching a movie from the back seat on a dash mounted screen...aside from being too far away to see, it's dangerous and illegal to have a screen playing a movie visible to the driver while the car is in motion. Headrest monitors are the best solution for back seat video.

The N1 will allow you to play music and have the nav working for the front seat, and have the DVD playing for the back seat, at the same time. Not to mention, switch to a backup camera when you put the car in reverse.

Keep in mind that there are other similar units, (like the Kenwood) that use a full double DIN size, and might look a bit more "factory" with a double din dash conversion. The N1 will block your heater/AC controls when the screen is up. The N1 is a great unit, but so are some of these full double DIN units....and I think they look better.

Another option, is to look to one of the ways of installing just a monitor in the upper cubby, and running that by some sort of nav system. It's pretty trick to get the cubby to close and hide away the screen like the stock set up, but this is possible. Buying the stock screen and parts are quite costly unless you find a wreck. There have been many posts on this topic here....do some searches. Probably a car computer makes the most sense to feed an aftermarket screen, and is probably a more modest cost solution than the N1 / double DIN. It will also do ALL sorts of cool things that you can't even dream of in a unit like the N1....basically run anything you can on a home computer. (NAV,DVD,store a gazillion MP3's, wireless internet, computer games, whatever) A touch screen is a good idea for one of these.

A final consideration is the NAV screen position. You really can't beat the stock location. Any other solution will put the screen further down the dash and force your eyes further from the road. But then again, most cars have their NAV screens lower than the G.