Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Very annoying: Navi "Enter" button malfunction and Power Door Lock Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very annoying: Navi "Enter" button malfunction and Power Door Lock Malfunctions

Good morning all,

I have two very annoying issues that I think could be very easy fixes...my friend and I are going to do some "investigating" tomorrow to see if we can fix it ourselves, but I was hoping to find some insight from you all before we started pulling pieces apart.

Issue #1: the "Enter" button on my Navigation system only works maybe 1 out of 10 times you press it. I have an 05 coupe. I've pulled off the actual little plastic ****/piece and pressed the needle, same result as if I were to have left the plastic **** on it...so I'm thinking it is something much deeper into the navi/electrical system that we would need to fix. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone think they know how to go about fixing it other than going to the dealership?

Issue #2: the power door locks do not work...both from the key FOB and the door lock/unlock button in the car. What's weird though, is that the car makes a sound like it is attempting to unlock and lock the doors, so this makes me think it is not a broken actuator, perhaps just a broken/misaligned latch somewhere??

Any help/advice at all would be great!

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
The enter button of the stick really sucks. It's a simple momentary pushbutton though, so if you solder your own button to the contacts on the other side of the board, you can make a new enter button, just find somewhere usable and inconspicuous for it.

Power door locks... no idea there, I'd start with checking to see if all the locks move freely, they use cables not far from the cables used in bicycles for moving the derailer or brakes, so if one got pinched or rusted inside, it could be preventing it from moving.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The enter button of the stick really sucks. It's a simple momentary pushbutton though, so if you solder your own button to the contacts on the other side of the board, you can make a new enter button, just find somewhere usable and inconspicuous for it.

Okay. We'll look into the door locks today.

In regards to the navi enter button, will that require taking off the headunit to rewire the circuit of the enter button to this new enter button I'll be installing? If not, how would I go about wiring it (i.e. connecting it so that it functions as the enter button)?? I'm not very experienced with this stuff other than wiring circuits in and out of the fuse boxes...

Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by sicem13

In regards to the navi enter button, will that require taking off the headunit to rewire the circuit of the enter button to this new enter button I'll be installing? If not, how would I go about wiring it (i.e. connecting it so that it functions as the enter button)?? I'm not very experienced with this stuff other than wiring circuits in and out of the fuse boxes...
Yes, you'll have to remove the face of the radio, just get a multimeter out and find which points by the enter button are causing a connection when the enter button is pushed, and solder your own "Normally open, momentary contact" (standard pushbutton) switch across those two points.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sicem13

Hi, just wondering if you got the door lock problem resolved. I have the same problem. Doors does not lock with key fob or driver door panel controls. I do hear a faint sound when trying to lock though.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidz58
Hi, just wondering if you got the door lock problem resolved. I have the same problem. Doors does not lock with key fob or driver door panel controls. I do hear a faint sound when trying to lock though.

ive heard all the G"s have this problem.