Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Amp and Speakers Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amp and Speakers Help

Hi Guys,

I've been reading through the audio threads to try to learn something before I ask my questions but I'm still a noob...

I have a 2003 G35 Coupe. I changed the stereo to a double din kenwood 308u. Nothing fancy. It was just cheap and looked pretty cool. Changed dash and ac to jdm kit. Right now I'm on stock bose speaker system/ amp. I've been experiencing a crazy battery drain every other day I leave my car parked in the garage so I have to jump start the dead battery every time I want to drive. I took my car to my friends place to check it out and we decided to unplug the bose amp to see if it would tell us anything. After 3 days of not driving my car, I can unlock my car with the key remote and start it perfectly. I'm thinking it's the amp that is causing the drain on my battery.

Now I am looking to buy a new aftermarket amp and speakers to go with it.
I see that many people go with Infinity Kappa or reference speakers but I don't know about amps. Anyone have suggestions for what amp and which speakers to get to replace the stock bose amp and speakers? I don't know anything about the Subwoofer either...
I think a $1000 dollar budget should be good enough.. or at least I hope it is.

Do I have to change any wiring if I get a new aftermarket amp and speakers?

Thanks for any help guys! I appreciate it.

-Danny

Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Not knowing how you're currently wired, you might want to pull the radio out to run RCAs from the headunit to the amplifier.

As for selection of parts, if $1k is your budget, I'd go with some ~$300 front components (I love my Boston Acoustics Pro60se's) with a good 300w amplifier (About $250). Disconnect the rear speakers, and you can go with a small JL 8" sub in a ported box with what's left over.

The following users liked this post:
DVan (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 AM
im running image dynamics up front and two 10 inch subs in the rear.

DVan (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DVan
Hi Guys,
Do I have to change any wiring if I get a new aftermarket amp and speakers?
For the aftermarket amp you will need to run new wiring. The speakers will be plug and play with the correct harness.

DVan (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I have JL Subs and components. Pioneer amp for subs and Diamond audio amp for door speakers. JL Audio is the way to go for your budget!!!!!!

DVan (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Not knowing how you're currently wired, you might want to pull the radio out to run RCAs from the headunit to the amplifier.

As for selection of parts, if $1k is your budget, I'd go with some ~$300 front components (I love my Boston Acoustics Pro60se's) with a good 300w amplifier (About $250). Disconnect the rear speakers, and you can go with a small JL 8" sub in a ported box with what's left over.
I got the kenwood 308 from crutchfield and it came with the wire harness to connect with the oem connector in the car. So I would have to buy a RCA cable to connect to my headunit and run them to my trunk where the amp is right? If I disconnected my rear speakers, wouldn't that mean I would be lacking sound in the rear of my car?
What kind of amp would I need? 4 channel or 5 channel?
If i get the small JL 8" sub, I just take the stock one out and put the JL one in? Would a JL Audio Stealthbox be a good choice?

I see people with a sub above the area that the amp is in. I think they use a 4080 enclosure that looks awesome and looks oem. Is that what I would need?

If I have to spend up to $1200, that'd be okay too.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by DVan; 04-07-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
So I would have to buy a RCA cable to connect to my headunit and run them to my trunk where the amp is right?
Yes. And then down the other side would be your power and remote lines.

What kind of amp would I need? 4 channel or 5 channel?
If you get a 4 channel, you would use 2 channels for your front door components and bridge the other two for your 8" with ported box.
If you get a 5 channel, you could use 2 channels for your front door components, 2 for your rear door components, and the 5th for the 8" with ported box.

If i get the small JL 8" sub, I just take the stock one out and put the JL one in? Would a JL Audio Stealthbox be a good choice?
The rear deck speakers in the 2003 coupe are 6x9s, so you would need a box for the 8" sub. I've never heard a JL Stealthbox but it seems like its greatest asset is that it hides your sub. And that's a lot of money for something that may leave more to be desired. That's just my opinion.

I see people with a sub above the area that the amp is in. I think they use a 4080 enclosure that looks awesome and looks oem. Is that what I would need?
I think you really need to hear some of this stuff first. If you like the way it sounds then that is what you need. If the sound is less important to you than the look of the box, and you like the look, go for it.

You should read through Wrathernaut's DD Shopping and Resource List, as well as some of the other sticky posts here. I think they will answer a lot of your concerns.

Hope that helps.

DVan (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Top Teke
If you get a 4 channel, you would use 2 channels for your front door components and bridge the other two for your 8" with ported box.
If you get a 5 channel, you could use 2 channels for your front door components, 2 for your rear door components, and the 5th for the 8" with ported box.

The rear deck speakers in the 2003 coupe are 6x9s, so you would need a box for the 8" sub.
So if I wanted to use my front door speakers and rear speakers and a sub then I'd need a 5 channel amp?

If I get a sub then I don't have to do anything to the rear deck speakers right?

For speakers, if I get 4ohm speakers, does that mean I have to use new wiring or can i just connect them to the stock wires?

Let's say I go with the Boston Acoustics Pro60se component speakers and a small JL sub, how do I find out what amp I will need?

So would you guys recommend just changing the two front door speakers and adding a sub instead of changing all of the speakers and adding a sub?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Yes, yes, and you can use factory harness.

At the verymost basic level, you match the amp size to the speaker size and impedance. Meaning if the 2 door speakers are 60w RMS ea @ 4ohm, you want an amp that produces ~120w RMS @ 4ohm. Check out this link.

Lastly, this whole thing can get pretty pricey. With the budget you have selected in mind as well as that it seems like this may be your first whirl with car audio, I think the two door/8" sub option is a great place to start. That leaves you room to add more in the future if you like, and if not you'll have a great system to listen to anyhow.

DVan (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes, yes, and you can use factory harness.

At the verymost basic level, you match the amp size to the speaker size and impedance. Meaning if the 2 door speakers are 60w RMS ea @ 4ohm, you want an amp that produces ~120w RMS @ 4ohm. Check out this link.

Lastly, this whole thing can get pretty pricey. With the budget you have selected in mind as well as that it seems like this may be your first whirl with car audio, I think the two door/8" sub option is a great place to start. That leaves you room to add more in the future if you like, and if not you'll have a great system to listen to anyhow.
This is my first time doing anything to my car audio.
Does it matter what brand speakers, amp, and sub I get? or is it not good to mix and match?
I want a system with good sound quality with tight but strong bass.
I appreciate all of the help!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Start here for help with amplifier selection and here for subwoofers.
I'd suggest reading through any of http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&q=car+audio+forum&oq=car+audio+forum&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=1&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0l5.5869l9307l0l10778l8l7l0l1l1l0l689l1290l5-2l2l0.egsbsh.1.&mvs=0 places as good starting off points to help you get your bearings as well.

DVan (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Start here for help with amplifier selection and here for subwoofers.
I'd suggest reading through any of these places as good starting off points to help you get your bearings as well.
Alright I'll check those out. Thanks so much! I do some more research and learn some more before I bother you with noob questions again. lol

Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut

Hey Wrathernaut.

I decided to go with the Boston Acoustics Pro60se front components. What's a good amplifier to go with those plus a small sub? I have to find an amp with a RMS of 125 @ 4ohm each channel and one channel for the sub right?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The Pro60se's love power. A 300w RMS would be great. If space isn't an issue, look into Soundstream Reference series amps. As for subs, a 10" works great in this car, but a well-powered 8" in a good box would also do very well.

DVan (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Be sure to post some pics DVan!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Amp and Speakers Help