Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PART 3 of 3

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050701.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050702.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050704.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050705.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050703.jpg

Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Enjoy -- I hope this information helps other users.

Cameron

Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reverse wire lead

hello, i need help too 04 sedan, i connected power to camera positive from red line from head unit power to power up camera, and ground to a ground to car. camera turns on good, and i set it on manually, but now my head unit pioneer 8400 has a purple white wire to connect to a reverse lead wire, where can i find that wire on my car to driver kick panel, i checked my reverse tail light it is a orange wire, so will i have the same wire orange to the driver side kick panel like you?

Originally Posted by RADRaze2KX
I just wired my reverse camera. It's been installed for a while but not detecting reverse, had to turn it on manually. In my '04 Sedan, the wire was orange. I tried the purple wire that other threads say, it didn't work. I tested it with a multimeter and got no readings. So I popped off the taillight cover on the underside of the trunk like I was going to change out the taillights and my wire was orange. Tested the orange next to the kick panel and it was the right one. If you don't know which wire bundle to use, remove the plastic guard that goes over the rubber weatherproofing (the trim piece that's about 3 feet long) and pull the carpet up a little bit... the cables that run along that side under the carpet, those are the cables you can tap into. Find the right color there, and if your wire isn't long enough, trace the bundle back to the kick panel.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Did you read the posts above yours, they answer your question.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes, for the sedan you use the orange wire. See threads:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ire-color.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/photogr...up-camera.html

Hope this helps -- Cameron

Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cninham
I need some help/info, please. I elected to use terminal 41, the back-up lamp relay, on the Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness/wire (passenger kick panel, lower front right floor), to connect to the radio's violet/white wire -- this wire in the TCM changes voltage when the gear selector is put in the REVERSE (R) position.

Everything works fine and when I put the car in reverse ("R") gear then the radio switches the display to the rear view camera.

Here is the problem though: wire/terminal 41 is battery voltage (12~13.8V) in any position other than "R", and drops to 0V when the "R" gear is selected. However, when you turn the ignition from ON to ACC then the voltage also drops to 0V and this triggers the radio to switch to the rear view camera display. As a result I cannot turn the ignition to ACC and listen to the radio (operate the touch screen) as the radio switches to the rear view camera display and turns "off" the radio controls... (bummer!)

Question: Does anybody know if the purple wire on the driver's side kick panel, as per the advice by Top Tekke and Mikesta (post 57 in this thread), is low voltage or 0V in any position other than "R" and changes to a higher voltage (e.g. battery voltage, 12~13.8V) when the "R" (reverse) gear is selected...? This will probably solve my problem so that the radio does not switch to the rear view camera display when the ignition is turned to the ACC position.

Thank you -- Cameron
WIRE COLORS
I went crazy over purple wires in my 07 sedan, then discovered the trigger wire is orange. Hope this will help others and appreciate the things that helped me from this thread. My install looks oem and works great. Thanks guys.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoh
WIRE COLORS
I went crazy over purple wires in my 07 sedan, then discovered the trigger wire is orange. Hope this will help others and appreciate the things that helped me from this thread. My install looks oem and works great. Thanks guys.
It was orange in post #13 on Page 1, posted a year ago: https://g35driver.com/forums/6431081-post13.html

You could've saved your time if you had read the post :P Glad you found it, though. Maybe we should see if the OP Will update this thread with the Year / Type / Color Wire?

2004 Sedan - Orange Wire
2007 Sedan - Orange Wire

??

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RADRaze2KX
It was orange in post #13 on Page 1, posted a year ago: https://g35driver.com/forums/6431081-post13.html

You could've saved your time if you had read the post :P Glad you found it, though. Maybe we should see if the OP Will update this thread with the Year / Type / Color Wire?

2004 Sedan - Orange Wire
2007 Sedan - Orange Wire

??
I think I did read it a while back but forgot. It would really help if everything could be consolidated as the BU camera seems to be a popular add-on. It's well worth the effort but could be made easier by putting everyone's knowledge together.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoh
I think I did read it a while back but forgot. It would really help if everything could be consolidated as the BU camera seems to be a popular add-on. It's well worth the effort but could be made easier by putting everyone's knowledge together.
If you're willing to go and document the entire process into a clear, detailed post, I'll gladly sticky it, otherwise, you'll have to wait for me to get the time and desire to put mine in.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK I have done this process a few days ago and have run into a problem. I have read the whole thread before posting this so I just wanted to get a little clarification. My problem is the reverse wire coming off the head unit. I have the camera's power wire spliced into the backup white lights in the tail. The camera work perfectly fine but I physically have to hit the camera function on the head unit to bring up the camera. The wire in the trunk that I used to power the camera is purple. I have a 2006 Coupe. So does that mean that I would splice the reverse wire coming off the head unit to the purple wire in the driver side kick panel to have the camera override whatever function the display is in when I put it in reverse? It seems that in some years it's orange and in some its purple. Is it safe to assume that if it's purple in the trunk that it will also be purple in the driver's side kick panel?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmySkyDiver
OK I have done this process a few days ago and have run into a problem. I have read the whole thread before posting this so I just wanted to get a little clarification. My problem is the reverse wire coming off the head unit. I have the camera's power wire spliced into the backup white lights in the tail. The camera work perfectly fine but I physically have to hit the camera function on the head unit to bring up the camera. The wire in the trunk that I used to power the camera is purple. I have a 2006 Coupe. So does that mean that I would splice the reverse wire coming off the head unit to the purple wire in the driver side kick panel to have the camera override whatever function the display is in when I put it in reverse? It seems that in some years it's orange and in some its purple. Is it safe to assume that if it's purple in the trunk that it will also be purple in the driver's side kick panel?
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand only sedans are orange and coupes are purple so the wire you should be looking for in the kick panel should be purple.

I also have an 06 Coupe and a Pioneer Headunit, I installed the reverse gear signal input to the purple wire of my kick panel and it works when I put the car in reverse the screen automatically changes but am experiencing a problem getting video from the reverse camera to my Pioneer head unit.

I'm sure I connected everything in the correct order since the screen automatically switches to the reverse camera minus the video. I'll attach some pictures of the back of my double din, the video wire I have the camera connected to and the black screen that shows up. I tried the only other video input and got the same screen (Other input pictured). Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Name:  20140512_191509_zps80c8ebe6.jpg
Views: 5891
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  20140512_174250_zps0a09a8fc.jpg
Views: 5826
Size:  70.6 KB

Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Juang20
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand only sedans are orange and coupes are purple so the wire you should be looking for in the kick panel should be purple.

I also have an 06 Coupe and a Pioneer Headunit, I installed the reverse gear signal input to the purple wire of my kick panel and it works when I put the car in reverse the screen automatically changes but am experiencing a problem getting video from the reverse camera to my Pioneer head unit.

That's the auxiliary video input, not the reverse camera. Connect to the brown RCA plug on the back of the HU. See page #70 of the owner's manual.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
JG_G35 (05-12-2014), Urbanengineer (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
What W-naut said!

On another note, in the kick panel I found about 10 purple wires to connect to. Could you please clearly show which one is the right one???

Post 15 Is kind of confusing, When I had that unplugged it seemed to not want to send 12V when reversing. I saw this post...

Originally Posted by Mikesta
I do! to tap in for the backup wire from the radio to only turn backup camera on during backing up, you use a purple wire from the driverside kick panel, there is a huge FAT black loom full of cables carefully open that up and look for a purple cable there is two one is in a smaller collection to the other, you want the other not from the small cable collection (I hope that helps) also test the cable when you do it to be 100% sure with a multi reader, Change the stereo setting to be battery so it only turns on when in reverse.

At the back of the car there is a rubber gromit feeding the tag lights, you can use that to push the cables into the trunk. I used the power from the backup light at the back of the camera so it only comes on during backing up its also a dark purple on the light.

I always wish I took pictures during install and never do. sorry I hope it helps though

Thanks, And GL.

Last edited by Urbanengineer; 05-12-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
That's the auxiliary video input, not the reverse camera. Connect to the brown RCA plug on the back of the HU. See page #70 of the owner's manual.
Thanks Wrathernaut! I guess I was just trying to match colors I didn't even notice that input was there nor what it was for

Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cninham
What year is that?
Because My 06 Coupe MT don't have that PURPLE wire in that connector

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?