Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New speekers with factory Bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
New speekers with factory Bose

I have an 06 coupe with Bose and NAV, i already have a sub setup that i like.

i want to keep the stock head unit because it look clean. im considering doing infinitY kappa series for the doors and the rear sides.

Question 1: is is it safe to use factory amp? (i have heard that the bose amp isnt designed to handle other speakers and what it could over heat and crap out)

Question 2: if that not the case would it be really gaining anything by just swapping out speakers and using factory Bose amp

Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When starting out I had similar requirements as you. I selected the following speakers:

FRONT DOOR
Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial), 75 Watts RMS
or
Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (component), 90 Watts RMS, 2 ohm

REAR SEAT SIDE PANEL
Infinity Reference 6032si (slim profile), 60 Watts RMS, 2 ohm

REAR DECK
Infinity Kappa 692.9i, 110 Watts RMS, 2 ohm

These speakers work just fine with the standard Bose amp and was a relatively easy swap/replacement. The Bose amp is a little under-powered for the speakers, and does not do the speakers any justice, but they definitely are an improvement over the factory/OEM speakers. Also, there are better speakers out there, but I originally opted for these speakers because they were 2ohm and a easy replacement for the existing factory/OEM speakers.

Now, I will continue to add that following the advice and recommendation of Wrathernaut and Top Teke I have recently elected to replace the Bose amp with a JL XD600/6 amp -- I have not yet gotten to do the upgrade, but it is on my to do list (as soon as I find the time)

Please be aware that I am NOT an audiophile, and I am not an audio system expert, and I do not have the discerning ears of some of the "fanatical" members on this forum. My project started out as a simple replace the head unit as it was defective. Then I wanted to replace the speakers just to have something "better than the factory sound system." Now I am replacing the amp. If I seeked and followed the advice of the knowledgeable members on this forum first I would have (1) replaced the head-unit (radio) first and (2) the front speakers with a set of high end speakers and a good aftermarket amp next. Don't upgrade the rear seat side panel speakers, and if you "want" you you can upgrade the read deck speakers later or replace/install with a good sub.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
The worst part of the factory system by far, is the bose amplifier. If you're looking for better audio quality, replace that first.

If you have a subwoofer, remove the rear deck 6x9's and leave the openings open to allow the bass to travel from the trunk sub into the cabin freely.
Put some solid components up front (kappas are a bit bright - good for a noisy car, but not the best for ours). Budget-wise, I'd start with Phoenix Golds, from there, Polk Audio, then up to Boston Acoustics Pro60se's (what I have), and beyond that, there's Focal and other really expensive ones.

Uh, anyway your questions.

1) Yes, it's safe to use the bose amp with most anything, best-case scenario, you blow it out and replace it with a real amp.

2) No, you're not gaining much by just swapping speakers. You're increasing potential quality, but with that amp there, you're not going to get much out of them.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
if i swap out the factory amp, what the best way to do that? im running an MTX re-q for the subs right now. and my main source of audio is coming form a PXamg adapter connected to my ipod

Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Check out this sticky.

That MTX unit seems like a band aid solution - no offense. I'd sell it and put the money toward replacing your factory components. Like cninham and Wrathernaut said - start with the amp and you'll start getting more our of your system.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
i already have a amp and sub setup, im just not sure the best way to add a 6ch amp and get it all wored up peoperly to the bose.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
You'll need to read the first post or two on this sticky as well:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

Not all amps can take the balanced signal (JL does, and has a couple 6-channel amps).

Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hey wrathernaut, i see you recommended polk. i was just looking at some at frys today. polk mm6501 this must be their higher end line. $229 for those components. is this what you had in mind? what about the polk db6501s for bout $120. very well reviewed buget speaker. what can you tell us about these polks. thnx