Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need Installer for XM OEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Installer for XM OEM

I want to install an oem xm sat radio i a prewired 2003 G35 6MT. I live on Long Island NY. anyone out there have a good recommendation?

Old 01-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Do it yourself! The kit comes with instructions and all the materials you will need. The hardest part is taking all the carpet panels out of the trunk, which is just a matter of pulling all the clips out. This is really an easy job. The only thing I would add to the kit is that you really should get one of the mini Terk antennas, (and pehaps you will need a 2 to 1 adapter to hook this up if you get a XM unit with 2 antenna connectors). The OEM antenna is ridiculous by comparison. I would also get a tube of touch up paint, put it in an airbrush, and paint the mini antenna to match your car.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:10 PM
ATC
I would like to do the same. Is it really that easy? Is their a thread in the DIY section. I'm in the Bay Area, anyone know who has the best price?

Old 01-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I have read the installation instructions from Grubbers where I intended to purchase the oem equipment. It seem to me that the hardest part was the installation of the antenna. Is the installation of the Terk mini antenna easier? I used to be more adventurous when I was in my 20's 30's and 40's, but somehow at my age (56) I'm a little more concerned with messing something up. However, I think it's worth a try! thanks for the info

Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installation of the micro antenna depends on where you want to put it. I think the simplist is just to stick it to the top of the trunk since its magnetized and will take you no longer then 30 seconds to do. Of course if you want to hide the wire on the inside youll have to remove some panels which isn't that difficult.
Theres no wire cutting involved since it just plugs right in and theres really not many things that you could mess up badly. In fact in my experience, with things this simple you stand a better chance of getting a quality job doing it yourself then letting the dealer do it.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:51 PM
On the trunk? I'm not sure how this would look. I was thinking of installing theantena ooooon the rear package shelf as I've seen in some other posts. Do you think this would give acceptable reception.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I an interested in satellite radio too, but the only thing that stopped me was that ugly black antenna.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I originally did have the big antenna on the rear deck, but I decided I could live with the small one, painted mounted on the roof. The OEM kit did include instructions on how to un the wire, but you need to go under the rear window moulding on the side, and in the drip channel on the top.

Here's a picture of the painted mini Terk:

Attached Thumbnails Need Installer for XM OEM-dsc03417.jpg   Need Installer for XM OEM-dsc03419.jpg  

Last edited by RacerX; 01-10-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 PM
It looks good. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:42 PM
RacerX,
Thanks for the pix. your mod definatly looks better than OEM.
a few questions.

1. How does the wire get snaked past the window seal?
2. Does Terk plug in to the OEM receiver? or do you need an adapter?
3. Did the paint stick well? Did you use a primer?
4. Did the paint effect reception?

Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Can we use the shark fin type antennas like the BMWs have or the ones that Audis have? I like the way those look.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
RacerX

Another question. Did you ever consider a Honda XM antenna? They look like a Terk only no wire. Probably requires drilling a hole in the roof, if done right leaking should not be a problem.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 PM
MGS727
A few years back I used Movin' On Sounds & Security, 636 Hempstead Tpke, Franklin Square 516-489-2350. They installed an alarm for me, I was happy with their work.

Good luck,

PS are you a 727 driver (flyer)?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM
For a pre-wired car do you need to take out the dash and center cosole to plug in the sat receiver or is all the work done in the trunk?

Old 01-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by XcarGO
RacerX,
Thanks for the pix. your mod definatly looks better than OEM.
a few questions.

1. How does the wire get snaked past the window seal?
2. Does Terk plug in to the OEM receiver? or do you need an adapter?
3. Did the paint stick well? Did you use a primer?
4. Did the paint effect reception?
1- It doesn't. It goes under the trunk gasket (there's a special rubber thing in the kit to prevent kinking of the wire at this point). From there, it goes across the trunk drip edge corner over to the corner of the glass. It is held down with a large clear adhesive tape, (also in the kit). Then it goes under the left side window gasket up to the top of the window. On the top of the window, it just lays in the gap at the top of the window, held in at a few points by these tiny wads of window gasket sealer, (also in the kit). You can not see this wire even if you were looking for it, except for the portion held down by the clear tape (when the trunk is open).

2- I needed an adapter, with one of the newer XM reveivers, you may not.

3- As the antenna is plastic, the paint stuck fine. No primer needed. Just like painting a plastic model.

4-Not that I could tell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Installer for XM OEM