Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Speaker replacement help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012 | 04:11 AM
|
Speaker replacement help

So tonight I was driving and my drivers side front speaker blew out. I drive a 2006 G35 with the stock bose sound system. I would like to replace the front two speakers, but I am not sure of the technical stuff. I have a Rockford F T2 sub in my trunk powered by an Alpine mrx-m100.

So what I am wondering will I need to put in completely new speaker wire and like hook it to my amp if i want aftermarket speakers? I have been thinking about these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-T2652-S.html so please give me some feedback and some ideas for what to do. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2012 | 02:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Are you sure the speaker is blown? Losing a channel like that can happen when the ribbon cable on the headunit loses a good connection, or it could be the amp going out as well.

If it's only missing that speaker when you're listening to CDs, it's the ribbon cable. If it's with all sources, it could be the amp or the speaker. If it's the speaker, it could have been the dying amp that killed it, so putting a $250 set of speakers on a audiocidal amplifier for it to kill is a bad gamble. Best to replace both the amp and the speakers, you'll get the best sound quality increase by doing that anyhow, as the bose amp is trash, trash, trash. If you're retaining the factory headunit until it inevitably fails, JL amps are a good way to go, as they accept the differential-balanced audio signal that the Bose headunit sends.

You don't need to put in new speaker wire, just splice at the harness to the bose amplifier in the trunk.

Old 05-06-2012 | 11:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Are you sure the speaker is blown? Losing a channel like that can happen when the ribbon cable on the headunit loses a good connection, or it could be the amp going out as well.

If it's only missing that speaker when you're listening to CDs, it's the ribbon cable. If it's with all sources, it could be the amp or the speaker. If it's the speaker, it could have been the dying amp that killed it, so putting a $250 set of speakers on a audiocidal amplifier for it to kill is a bad gamble. Best to replace both the amp and the speakers, you'll get the best sound quality increase by doing that anyhow, as the bose amp is trash, trash, trash. If you're retaining the factory headunit until it inevitably fails, JL amps are a good way to go, as they accept the differential-balanced audio signal that the Bose headunit sends.

You don't need to put in new speaker wire, just splice at the harness to the bose amplifier in the trunk.
well my amp is not connected to my speakers. the only thing the amp powers is the subwoofer. and the speaker wouldnt work on cd or radio. but i listened to the same song today that made it blow and it came back! its a little crackly but at least it works again!