Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Audiophiles Help & Advice On New System Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audiophiles Help & Advice On New System Please!

Hey, so i have just installed my double din finally! (avh-p4400bh). So far love it but now i dislike my stock components. I've had a 12" type r in my trunk with a 500 watt v-power amp for the longest time in also. I want a really crisp sound and like quality over volume. With my sub, i was hoping to switch to 10" jl w3's with a pdxm6 hoping to get a lot crisper bass? Thoughts? For components i was thinking Focal ps165 6.5's in the front, with the 4" pc100's in the rear. And removing the rear shelf speakers to let the bass flow into the car. Powering the components would be the pdx f4. I went to the only shop that sells focal in my province and this was my quote.

ps165 = 385+tax
pc100 = 215+tax
10" jlw3 x 2 = 390+tax
pdxm6 = 450+tax
pdxf4 =450+tax
0 gauge wiring for both amps, and distribution block 280+tax (my current v-power only have a wiring kit for 500 watts, was recommended to change it)
Install = 240+tax

So I guess my main questions are. Do you think the 10's will be a good switch from the type r?
Good idea to remove the 6x9's to let the bass flow?
Better components for the price?
Worth it for the digital amps?
Should i be looking into a capacitor also?

Also i was quoted 350$ for a customs boxes/box and 150 for the custom amp rack. I cant decide if i like 4080's on each side with the amps mounted to the back seat. or the zencloser style box with the subs flush to the back and having the amps flush in the floor with plexiglass overtop?!

Sorry for all the questions im just having a real tough time deciding before I purchase it all. It will be my first decent sound sytem. Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
audio is mainly in the install

you can run so-so equipment and have it sound much better than expensive equipment.

I would only run the speakers in the front.

The amps you choose are good amps. Some people have minor issues but then again some people like to cry/moan about everything.

As far as the box goes. Be sure its a quality built box. Pay what ever price you feel comfortable paying but be sure the box is made to your subs specs. The box will play more of a roll in sound guilty than the sub and amp.

The following users liked this post:
WinnipgG35 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your help! For the install its a very good shop doing the work. The plan was to run 12 guage wiring to all the speakers.

Why the reason for only the front speakers? will the new amp not distort the bose speakers? i understand the stage is supposed to be infront of you, but personally i like car audio filling the entire cabin, kinda like surround.

And for the box's they would be made to sub specifications, Zencloser it seems lots of people have them and haven't heard many problems. and if i did go the 4080 route it would be the shop making them out of fibreglass because its cheaper for the shop to make them for me to order from 4080.

Also people with zencloser boxes, for the install do u just throw it into the trunk? or to get it in do you have to remove anything?

Last edited by WinnipgG35; 05-18-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: extra question/typo
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Also thoughts on sound deadening. After research is seems like the sds cld tiles are the best reviewed and extremely cheaper than all others.I already have obnoxious rattling from my trunk and was wondering the the cld tiles alone will cure this or should i be using spray foam also like ive seen others? I'm going to do the trunk myself and leave the doors up to the installers since they'll have the door's opened up anyways.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I just finished a build and commend you on your philosophy of quality over quantity. IMHO I would spend a touch more on your front components and look at the Clarus C61-2 6.5" front components. They sound amazing and I think are better than the Focals by a large margin. I too was a little skeptical about the whole front soundstage theory at first but man it sounds awesome. It does have that surround feel, at times I can't tell where the sound is coming from.

And there's nothing wrong with the Zenclosures boxes; they are well-made, sound good, and fit very well. My only complaint was they are so bulky and also would have blocked my pass through so I went 4080 for my sedan. Loving the sound and the fact that I can still use most of my trunk.

Show more

Show more

Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks, for your imput, where i live there are no stores that sell those speakers, so without a demo i think ill end up going with the focal's. I decided im going to build my own amp rack and encloser. All into a false floor. Something similar to a few of the projects by bing.

I was wondering if anyone would suggest the use of a sound processor in my install. the ms-8 looks great and has good reviews, but is quite pricey. Do i really need one?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Cool nothing wrong with the Focals, they are good components.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
If you're only doing 2 channels and a sub, I wouldn't bother with the MS-8 yet.

WinnipgG35 (06-05-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
390 for 2 w3's...yikes.

That 390 could get you one hell of a sub.

that's gti mkii, xcon, icon, idmax territory.

I'd prolly go with sundown, kicker, or zed over the alpines. Those have noise issues(yes, even the newer ones)

Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
390 for the w3's wasnt to bad comparing what if found online and stuff. I've already made the box custom to there specs too.

And thanks wrathernaut for you opinion on the ms8. I'm glad to hear that, trying to build a high end system without much of a budget saving myself the 500$ is good news. lol

I've started building the custom and rack and box. will post pictures up soon. just ordered black gloss vinyl wrap for the box and top layer of the false floor.

I bought 2 50mm fans from a local computer shop, there 3 pin though. Does anyone know if i just cut off the third wire(yellow) if they'll still work? or if i have to ground that third wire? or should i just go switch them for a 2pin?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Fans worked with just cutting off the yellow wire, But for my amp and subs, with the pdx m6, do i want the w3's 2 ohm or 4 ohm if i were to wire them parallel?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
dual 2's

WinnipgG35 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Some current progress. Still haven't bought anything yet, waiting to get some stuff in the mail to finish the amp rack and sub box. My computer wont let me upload progress photos though.

I've changed my design a couple times which is really making it a slow going process.. I have also been rethinking the speaker setup. Getting rid of the pc100 in the rear. Have the ps 165 2 way in the stock locations, and adding a p165 v33 3 way setup, the woofer in the kick pannel, and a dashpod beside the a pillar and windshield for the mid and tweet(for some reason i dont like it in the a pillar).

My questions:
Is this even a good idea? Would it to much of a front stage? How would i wire it, with the 4400 i have front and rear rca outputs would i put the 165 2 ways as the rear? Should i switch to the pdx f6 instead? Instead of focal would the jl c5's be better?

My car is no show car. but i'd like a show car type audio setup. Saving for a house so only mod ill be doing to my car for a long while is just this system. Sorry for al the questions but this mod has to please me for the next couple of years lol

And thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 PM

I said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. Get a set of the Clarus front components and you will be very happy. Ask Top Teke for more input on them, he's very impressed with them as well.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by WinnipgG35
Some current progress. Still haven't bought anything yet, waiting to get some stuff in the mail to finish the amp rack and sub box. My computer wont let me upload progress photos though.

I've changed my design a couple times which is really making it a slow going process.. I have also been rethinking the speaker setup. Getting rid of the pc100 in the rear. Have the ps 165 2 way in the stock locations, and adding a p165 v33 3 way setup, the woofer in the kick pannel, and a dashpod beside the a pillar and windshield for the mid and tweet(for some reason i dont like it in the a pillar).

My questions:
Is this even a good idea? Would it to much of a front stage? How would i wire it, with the 4400 i have front and rear rca outputs would i put the 165 2 ways as the rear? Should i switch to the pdx f6 instead? Instead of focal would the jl c5's be better?

My car is no show car. but i'd like a show car type audio setup. Saving for a house so only mod ill be doing to my car for a long while is just this system. Sorry for al the questions but this mod has to please me for the next couple of years lol

And thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.
skip the rears. If you're going 3 way..

go full pro audio upfront.

I lost my flash drive, but i had these in the G

B&C 10NDL64(doors)
Audax PR170M0(kick)
B&C DE500 horns(under the dash)

something like this could work in the doors http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-6ND430-1.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audiophiles Help & Advice On New System Please!