Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help with Video/Audio Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Video/Audio Noise

I have lines in my DVD screen and engine noise from my DVD source unit. I am using a PAC AAI-NIS for my aux input. My guess is that it is a ground loop problem.

I know that one possible solution would be to tap into the ground wire to the stock HU to ground the DVD player and DVD screen, but I don't want to pull that damn thing out again.

I don't really have access to any of the wires behind it but I have good access to the PAC AAI-NIS unit. I haven't looked at the wires yet, but I must think that it is grounded to the stock HU through the wire harness and that ground wire runs all the way to the part where the AUX inputs are.

Is it a good idea and would it be possble to tap into that wire for the DVD player and screen ground? Is it a black wire? Any concerns with doing this?

Please advise. Thanks GF

Old 01-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I too have both audio and video noise after installing my NavBox. I went out and bought an inline noise filter from Radio Shack and installed it inline of the power going from the console 12V socket to the power and ground on the NavBox (also installed in console). Should I ground somewhere else? Does anyone know of any other good sources that I can tap power off of around the console area?

Old 01-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Hmmm. I have some (very little) video noise coming through my screen with my AV Electronic source selected. I dont think it would make a difference where you tap the power, but more so how the power is tapped/insulated from alternator whine.

I too am interested in a fix though.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Just to let you guys know. I am getting closer to getting rid of it, but not yet perfect. I have a noise eliminator from Radio Shack on the power line to the screen. I have an RCA noise eliminator on the RCA out of the DVD unit. I plan to put a noise eliminator on the power line to the DVD player, and finally, I ordered a Video Hum eliminator from a company that make them for coax cable to eliminate video hum.

I will keep you all posted. The guy making the video hum eliminator said if it doesn't help, I can return it. If it does, I am sure he will want the business. GF