Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagram for speaker connection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagram for speaker connection?

I'm about to be running my sub on a mono amp, and use my 2 channel for my speakers. Problem is, I don't know how to connect everything. I found this one, wondering was it right.

http://pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/...amp_wiring.jpg

And instead of connecting the speakers, I'm really connecting the aftermarket crossovers to the 2 channel right?

Last edited by icrazy2u; 08-12-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
It's "right" but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with what you're doing.

Are you using an aftermarket radio?
If it's stock, is it the bose radio?
If it's stock and the bose radio, does your amp take differential-balanced signals? (probably not...)
If it's stock and not the bose radio, do your amps take speaker-level inputs?
If it's stock and not the bose radio, and your amps don't take speaker-level inputs, do you have LOCs?
If it's not a stock headunit did you run your own wires to the trunk?
If it's not a stock headunit, and you ran your own wires to the trunk, does your headunit have dedicated subwoofer channels?
If it's not a stock headunit, and you ran your own wires to the trunk, and your headunit doesn't have dedicated subwoofer channels, does it have a built-in LPF that can run the rear channels as subwoofer channels?
Do your amps accept speaker-level inputs?
Are you using the stock speakers?
If you're not using stock speakers, are you installing coaxial or component speakers?

I think you get the idea... Basically, from the headunit to the wiring, to the speakers, what are you using?

If you have no idea what I'm asking for, take your money to a pro, or a happy hobbyist and let them handle it.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
It's "right" but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with what you're doing.

Are you using an aftermarket radio?
If it's stock, is it the bose radio?
If it's stock and the bose radio, does your amp take differential-balanced signals? (probably not...)
If it's stock and not the bose radio, do your amps take speaker-level inputs?
If it's stock and not the bose radio, and your amps don't take speaker-level inputs, do you have LOCs?
If it's not a stock headunit did you run your own wires to the trunk?
If it's not a stock headunit, and you ran your own wires to the trunk, does your headunit have dedicated subwoofer channels?
If it's not a stock headunit, and you ran your own wires to the trunk, and your headunit doesn't have dedicated subwoofer channels, does it have a built-in LPF that can run the rear channels as subwoofer channels?
Do your amps accept speaker-level inputs?
Are you using the stock speakers?
If you're not using stock speakers, are you installing coaxial or component speakers?

I think you get the idea... Basically, from the headunit to the wiring, to the speakers, what are you using?

If you have no idea what I'm asking for, take your money to a pro, or a happy hobbyist and let them handle it.
I have a aftermarket headunit and it has speaker RCA outlets and sub outlets. I have just the sub wires running to the back right now to the 2 channel amp (until my Mono block comes in). And I'm using component speakers. And this is in a non bose car.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So all you have to do is run your power wires w/distribution block, (capacitors are worthless), ground wires, rcas from the radio to the amps and speaker wire from the amps to the subs and crossovers that came with the components, and wire from the crossovers to the speakers/tweeters. Pretty straightforward.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
So all you have to do is run your power wires w/distribution block, (capacitors are worthless), ground wires, rcas from the radio to the amps and speaker wire from the amps to the subs and crossovers that came with the components, and wire from the crossovers to the speakers/tweeters. Pretty straightforward.
Cool, thanks.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
One more quick question. My mono amp just got here, and it has output and input RCAs. Do I still have to gain access to the radio, or would I be able to connect the output from the mono, to the input on the 2 channel? I just hate opening my radio area cause I scratched the dash my first time.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You want to use separate channels for full range and the subwoofer.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Alright, guess I gotta suck it up and take the radio out then. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Another quick question, can I run the speaker wire down the right side of the car along side the power cable without it interfering with the sound quality?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by icrazy2u
Another quick question, can I run the speaker wire down the right side of the car along side the power cable without it interfering with the sound quality?
I would run it down the center console instead. If your electrical system is in great shape, there shouldn't be any induced noise, but if there is any electrical noise present, it'll get magnified by running it by the power cable.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 AM
I would run it down the center console instead. If your electrical system is in great shape, there shouldn't be any induced noise, but if there is any electrical noise present, it'll get magnified by running it by the power cable.
Alright, thanks again.