Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

04 6MT Coupe - Audio System Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 04 6MT Coupe - Audio System Reccomendations

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a while, just bought an 04 6MT (white) with a NON-BOSE radio and no factory NAV to drive for a year or two before deciding on a new G or a bimmer. I've seen a few threads here and there using the search but my results have been hit and miss so I thought I'd just ask outright for everything I want to know.

I've purchased everything (except the trim kit) from Wrathernaut's guide, so I'm ready to install a new DD deck, and I've done moderately involved installs in the past..

I'm having trouble deciding (or finding a good complete lineup of) on a deck because I havent looked at these things in years - and nowadays the local stores don't have many to play with since the factory decks are much better and dont get swapped out right away.

I was wondering if anyone has reccomendations on decks (had bad experience with AVIC-N1 in the past, but could be persuaded to go Pioneer with a good review vid link) - yes I know personal preference plays in here but I want:
* Snappy interface... no lag
* Upgradeable firmware / OS - customizable screens/background - maybe Android based.. does this exist yet?
* AM/FM
* Sirrius
* HD Radio (optional)
* AUX IN on the front of the deck (for my iPhone)
* iPod direct connect (optional, but nice to have hidden in the center console for 'permanent ipod')
* Rear view camera support (reccomendations/guide?)

CD/DVD is not important - I dont have any and as far as I'm concerned the slot is just another way for dust to get in, but if Video can be played from the iPod connect that is cool. Navi is not a big deal since I have an iPhone, so either way on that.

Also looking for specific make and model speaker reccomendations that will fit the Coupe... perhaps some Bostons, the last pair I had were nice and clear. I have Kappas in my truck now and they are great so I would go for those too. I understand there is an 'enclosure' of sorts in the doors and you need to choose carefully because of mounting depth (this is why I ask for specific models)... I would like to stick with this as I prefer the sound quality to an IB configuration so good fitment in the existing door panel would be a major requirement. I want the tweaters to fit in the factory location for the best sound. What's the best location to mount the crossover for the fronts? Also looking for reccomendations on a good amp. I ask for an amp reccomendation only based on also being curious about the best location to mount it.. e.g. amp a is good to mount under the seat, amp b is bigger so you would need in the trunk and to run new wires, etc. If someone has a direct link to the 04 wiring diagram and scematic that would be awesome - I've heard everything goes to the trunk and then back to the doors, is that true? or is that only for BOSE systems?

Of course, regarding the bumps.. I removed my sub and amp from my truck and was considering moving it into the G but I was looking for some feedback as to weather a 12W7 (I have a JL 1000/1 to push it) is too much for such a small car? I've always been a 'no such thing as too much' kind of guy but now that I'm over 30 I do not want a ghetto rattle coming from my car at a stoplight. I understand it can't be avoided completely, but it can be minimized... how much work is involved (guide/video?) to dampen the trunk in the coupe? Should I just sell it and get an 8 or 10W7? I love the sound of the JLs, but also open to suggestions on current models/brands based on trunk space consumption vs sound quality.

Quality sound and quality product is first priority, money second.

Thanks in advance, I know there are some really knowledgable people here!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
There's some experimental units right now that "phone front-ends", the only one that's really showing any promise is Pioneer's Appradio.

The only real customizable backgrounds on modern radios are the boot-screen, and making the decision of a radio based on something that's there for a few seconds, at most, while you're paying more attention to not backing up over something is just plain dumb.

Current-gen Pioneers have great interfaces and good response time, Kenwoods are a little behind in interface, but pretty good in speed as well. The current-generation JVC nav units that I played with had a fast, ugly interface, but looking at their non-nav units, the iPod/iPhone interaction seems much slower.

I am a bit curious as to why the front inputs though? I'd just assume have the plug in the center console and not worry about another wire jutting from the front of the radio, and with most radios, it's either front or rear, not both.

I'd probably go with the Pioneer 3400BH or 4400BH depending on whether you want the front or rear inputs, or 8400BH if a detachable face is a necessity.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Havent really kept up with double din's lately.

That's wrathernaut's park.

Keep the 12w7. You'll more than likely need a new enclosure for it. They work fine sealed or ported, but since the trunk in the g is small, stick to sealed.. Aim for .5 cubic feet larger than what jl recommends.

The 1000/1 is a pretty big amp. If u can, sell it and get the 750/1 for the sub.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies... with regards to the amp, I've had the 1000/1 pushing the W7 for about 6 years now... I'd rather keep that if I'm keeping the W7.

I understand that as a 'critical feature' customizable startup screens are not super important, I should have specified that part is a nice to have... the real key is that I am not stuck with an outdated interface in 3 years... much like your phone is continuously updated, in 2012 I would expect the headunit in my car should be upgradable 1 or 2 times per year with current software.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by nubfilter
Thanks for the replies... with regards to the amp, I've had the 1000/1 pushing the W7 for about 6 years now... I'd rather keep that if I'm keeping the W7.

I understand that as a 'critical feature' customizable startup screens are not super important, I should have specified that part is a nice to have... the real key is that I am not stuck with an outdated interface in 3 years... much like your phone is continuously updated, in 2012 I would expect the headunit in my car should be upgradable 1 or 2 times per year with current software.
The Pioneer Z-series had fairly decent updates, but nothing earth-shattering - the needs of car stereos hasn't changed anywhere near what phones have.

So long as it has good iPhone or Android support, that's about the best you can hope for... Appmode on Pioneer does some in the way of supporting new apps on your phone, but it's still a bit limited.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah after posting I have found a couple of reviews here and there and I was torn between the Pioneer and Kenwood. I have since settled on a Kenwood - they had one at a local Fry's and I was able to play around with it, it seems good enough - decent interface, snappy enough, and support App Mode so I can control my tunes on the iDevice instead of the UI on the head unit.

What about speaker recommendations? after further googling i've heard Kappa 60.9CS are a good choice, however having the 6x9 kappa components in my F150 I remember that the tweeter is kinda large.. can it be made to fit and look 'stock' in the G?

Wrathernaut let me just add a big thank you for your guides and stickies... so helpful. I think the only thing missing is speaker reccomendations and it would be a one stop shop.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 AM
no infinity

please lol

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah after posting I have found a couple of reviews here and there and I was torn between the Pioneer and Kenwood. I have since settled on a Kenwood - they had one at a local Fry's and I was able to play around with it, it seems good enough - decent interface, snappy enough, and support App Mode so I can control my tunes on the iDevice instead of the UI on the head unit.

What about speaker recommendations? after further googling i've heard Kappa 60.9CS are a good choice, however having the 6x9 kappa components in my F150 I remember that the tweeter is kinda large.. can it be made to fit and look 'stock' in the G?

Wrathernaut let me just add a big thank you for your guides and stickies... so helpful. I think the only thing missing is speaker reccomendations and it would be a one stop shop.
I don't know speakers like I know putting stuff in. I don't have the pleasure of being able to test them out regularly either. Eggyhustles is pretty good with those things though, and he pays attention to threads on component advice.

Kappas are ok in a noisy car, since their rather bright tweeters kinda compensate for road and wind noise, but in a nice car, you hear that shrillness. I had Kappas in my old '95 Dodge Avenger, and it sounded good while driving, but stopped, not so much.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you're willing to spend a little coin check out the Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 components. These speakers rock, Top Teke and I have them and love 'em. You can mount the crossovers in the door, and you will need spacers for the mid bass.

Show more

Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Can you show me somewhere to get those at a reasonable price.. say < 350/400? no way im spending 600+ on 6 1/2" speakers.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Won't find them for below 600

Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 AM
they must provide some crazy eargasms for 600, but I'd have to hear the difference before parting with that kind of coinage. Sight unseen, sound unheard, going strictly off reviews I'd say I can go up to maybe 350/400 maybe just a tad more... my trigger finger is getting really itchy though hahaha.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I paid $490 at a small local stereo shop. In the $300-400 range eggyhustles will have better recommendations than I could give you.

And yes, I still get chills sometimes when I turn it up, they were worth every penny.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
they must provide some crazy eargasms for 600, but I'd have to hear the difference before parting with that kind of coinage. Sight unseen, sound unheard, going strictly off reviews I'd say I can go up to maybe 350/400 maybe just a tad more... my trigger finger is getting really itchy though hahaha.
How much is a tad more?

These would be perfect, imo.
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9612-hsk...nt-system.aspx

Or
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5712-xs-...nt-system.aspx

Pair it with a 4 channel that'll give you 300+ bridged

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Can I ask if you've compared the Clarus to the HERTZ HSK165XLs in person? I had the opportunity to hear the HERTZ in person... and wow! but the shop wanted $800 for the pair. I can see them online for ~$550 and am seriously considering them at this point with a JL 300/4v2. The midbass was phenomenal, highs crisp and clear on the demo track... they did not have a deck with iPod connectivity on the rack (sigh) but I may go to their main store here in San Diego and do another demo.

Still just waiting to pull the trigger on a deck until I've heard some confirmations on iPhone 5 compatibility (with the 30-pin to Lightning adapters).

Last edited by nubfilter; 10-12-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Specified Clarus vs HERTZ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 6MT Coupe - Audio System Reccomendations