Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

upgrading speakers in front door/running speaker wire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading speakers in front door/running speaker wire

so i decided to get some infinity components to replace the once that came stock in our car, when i went to run the speaker wire into the door i realize that there is a stupid a** plastic plug that takes up the entire hole. I then searched around and found a few things about trying to take it out and drill a hole in it, my question is 1 is there and sort of cross over in the door? (i think i read somewhere that it was part of the stock head unit, which i have allrdy replaced.) 2 is there anyway that i can skip running the speaker wire from my amp through the door?? like maybe just run it to my head unit and then connect it there to where the speaker wires currently run into the back of the head unit??? sorry i know this is very poorly written but any comments or suggestions would be great.

o and btw its a 2005 sedan non bose, with a new headunit and the DD conversion

Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Well, here's how to run through the molex connector, some of it's unfilmable due to the tight spaces, but it should either help you or scare you from doing it. I do not recommend it unless you're bi-amping or cannot put the crossovers in the door at all.

So long as the crossover for the Infinity speakers is somewhat sealed, you can mount it to the inside of the door panel. There is NO factory crossover, it's just a y-split after the wire gets inside the door, so you can use the factory wiring to get to a new crossover in the door and then quickly run the new wire to the speakers from there.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM
awesome thanks man, i think ill just use the factory wiring for now, once i move to my new place maybe ill spend some time on it and run totaly new wire in there

Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 PM
just got them in sounds fine to me using the stock wires idk y everyone complains that there ****, thanks again for the help

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I don't think anybody complains about the stock wiring, I'm using it with my Boston Acoustics Pro60se's in my car, 150w RMS to each.

It's not a bad thing to swap it out, but it's not necessary, and a pain to do.