Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Mount your Garmin GPS in the center Storage Bin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mount your Garmin GPS in the center Storage Bin

For G35 2003-2007 (***CAVEAT the project was done on a 2004 G35 Coupe. I am pretty confident that all models '03 through '07 have the same design in their non GPS equipped coupes, but if you own a later model you should confirm this before you begin. Ditto with the 4 door sedan)

For those of you who don't have the GPS option but want to use a Garmin or similar hand held GPS your G35, the center storage bin is the perfect spot. Here's the scoop if your GPS has a "ball" attachment such as the Garmin, which is what I used in my installation.

After trying several different "Mickey Mouse" methods of keeping my Garmin in the open bin, I finally was able to figure out how to install it so that the lid can still be closed when you are not using it or wish to hide it.

The trick is to cut off the ball from the suction cup holder and affix this to the inside liner of the center bin door. The biggest problem was to figure out how to separate the lid's liner from the door without damaging anything.

The Lid or Door:
The lid/door is held in place by 4 very tiny Phillips screws that are only 1/8 inches long. They are flush fit. Two counter-clockwise turns and they drop out into the bin, so there's no fear of losing them during removal. You WILL need a small mirror and flashlight to see them. You will need a very fine and very short screwdriver to remove them. Two are easily observed along the underside of the front lip. The other two are somewhat difficult to find but they are there, and accessible near the end of the cut out along the back of the lid/door inside liner about 1" in from each side. Use your little mirror and light and you will eventually find them.

Once the four screws are out, close the door and pull the top cover off from the rear. You may have to tug a bit but it will come off nicely. Remember the inside plastic liner is the base and stays attached to the vehicle - you are removing the top finished cover of the door only.

Attachment of the Garmin using the Ball from the Suction Mount:

You will continue to use the ball from the suction mount. Carefully hacksaw or Dremel the ball off the stem. Grind the area of the ball where you did the cut so as to create a flat spot that is perhaps 1/4 inch across. As you grind it you will see a small hole appear as the ball is in fact hollow. You will then select a screw which is long enough to accept a small lock washer and still reach through the plastic liner of the door and well into the ball. Drill accordingly, leaving plenty of tightness for a good "bite" by the screw. There is plenty of room between the door top and the liner to accommodate a screw head and lock washer.

Now pop the ball into the socket on the back of your Garmin. Study the placement and select a spot along the lower lip of the open liner where you will make a small hole just big enough for the screw for the ball. Make sure that there is full flat contact between the ball where you created the flat spot, which is also the location of the hole for the screw into the ball. It will eventually be reinforced with glue. Notice that once attached, the Garmin can still swivel quite a bit in order that it permit the door to fully close without interference.

Drill the hole in the liner in the spot you selected (above). Attach the ball using the screw and do not forget the small lock washer. The screw and washer are installed from the top of the liner and gently tightened.

Attach the back plate with the connectors to the Garmin, then press the Garmin unit onto the ball. Check that you are happy with how the unit fits and permits the door to be closed without removing it from the ball connector. Drill another hole if you wish. It will never be visible if you have to do a little trial and error.

Once you are happy with the location of the ball, twist the Garmin off the ball mount. Then back off the screw holding the ball enough to allow glueing. Apply an appropriate amount of a good quality plastic glue such as "LePages Super Glue Gel Control". Quickly tighten the screw before bonding occurs.

Re-Attaching the Top of the Lid/Door

You will need patience and dexterity when you reinstall the 4 tiny screws in order to re-attach the lid. The front screws are easier than the rear. The best bit of good luck is that when you drop these tiny screws they will fall into the bin, so you may not lose any.

Using the mirror, tiny screw drivers or whatever you choose, re-install each screw. I found it very helpful to use a magnet on the instrument I was using, so the tiny screws "stand up" on the Phillips head. After a few tries and perhaps some profanity, you will get them in. It may be helpful to have someone with small hands do the rear screws. I found it was easiest to study the location of the hole, then proceed by "feel" rather than trying to see what you are doing as that is actually not possible in the rear. In a "worst case" scenario a touch of glue would also re-attach the back of the door cover to the liner if you find it too difficult to reinstall these 2 rear screws.

Anyhow, the above method worked very well for me. As I was unable to locate any guidance anywhere (and the shop manual does not clearly depict how the lid is constructed), I thought I would take a few minutes and jot this down in the event I was not alone in wanting a strong secure and very usable Garmin placement. The box is absolutely ideal in my view.

I am seldom on this site so I must caution that I am not likely to know if anyone should happen to write. However, there is probably nothing I can offer you that is not contained in the above.

Apologies for any "typos"

Good luck.

See my ALBUM which contains these same photos as requested and I have made some comments beside the pictures for those who decide to try this solution. I apologize for the quality of the photos. They were taken by iPhone in the dark of our brutal Canadian winter, and are the best I was able to do under the circumstances. It may be that I have not properly attached these photos in this post in which event you can just go to the Album I created to help anyone interested in doing this little project.

Rob Treleaven Burlington Ontario Canada

Last edited by Rob Treleaven; 02-15-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: add photos
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Treleaven:
Blue Dream (02-15-2013), Wrathernaut (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Would be really cool if you can post up some pics! I've been trying to find a more permanent Way also haha

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am working on some photos

Thanks for your interest. While I wish I had thought to take photos as I went along I was able to take some this evening and will attempt to post them tomorrow. I am sure they will help and appreciate this suggestion.

Best

Rob Treleaven