Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

steering wheel controls question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steering wheel controls question

I searched, and couldn't find any other info on this, so I wanted to ask the group. I recently installed a SWI-PS steering wheel control adapter to work with my new Double-Din Sony XAV-64BT. It works fine, but it is disappointing that our cars only have Vol +/-, Mode, Power, and Seek +/- buttons on the steering wheel. I have a 2004 non-bose Sedan if it matters, but I was curious if the cruise control buttons put out any signal to the SWIPS and could control stereo functions? Or if anyone else has done any sort of mod to add functionality? I also seem to remember that the factory until did different functions if you held the seek button up or down for over a second. Is there a way to get the SWIPS to interpret that command? Thanks for any help, forum has been great so far for assistance.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by mrnix
I searched, and couldn't find any other info on this, so I wanted to ask the group. I recently installed a SWI-PS steering wheel control adapter to work with my new Double-Din Sony XAV-64BT. It works fine, but it is disappointing that our cars only have Vol +/-, Mode, Power, and Seek +/- buttons on the steering wheel. I have a 2004 non-bose Sedan if it matters, but I was curious if the cruise control buttons put out any signal to the SWIPS and could control stereo functions? Or if anyone else has done any sort of mod to add functionality? I also seem to remember that the factory until did different functions if you held the seek button up or down for over a second. Is there a way to get the SWIPS to interpret that command? Thanks for any help, forum has been great so far for assistance.
The SWI-PS can't be programmed to send different signals if held. It depends on your radio manufacturer to interpret the signals to do that. Pioneer radios do different things if you hold them (but not how I'd like them to).

I'm not sure if you could add other buttons to the SWI-PS. Calling up Pacific Audio Corporation and trying to get a hold of one of their engineers would probably be the easiest way to figure it out, short of using a few different resistors on additional buttons to see if you can add additional buttons to the mappable functions.

The following users liked this post:
mrnix (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for your help, sir. I do like that the SWIPS allows you to choose what the factory buttons do, but it's unfortunate that we only have six buttons. BTW, your resource list was invaluable in this project.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How easy was it to install the SWI-PS?
Ill be doing it on my 03 g35 coupe & I just wanted to get a heads up on what Ill be coming up against.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by mredg35
How easy was it to install the SWI-PS?
Ill be doing it on my 03 g35 coupe & I just wanted to get a heads up on what Ill be coming up against.
If you haven't purchased it already, use the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 instead. It's a much easier install.

With the SWI-PS you have to solder resistors on a couple of the wires and manually program it. With the ASWC-1, no programming or resistors are needed.

If you already have the SWI-PS, if you're capable of soldering and pushing buttons according to the instructions it isn't very hard once you identify the right resistors.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot I just researched it & ill be buying that Metra model instead.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
By far the AXXESS is an easier install. You can add buttons for additional functionality however you would have to reprogram the ECU to let it know that the steering wheel has expanded capabilities. In simple terms, it's not worth the hassle! I have one of the more functional radios possible and there comes a point when you just have to use the unit itself. (APPRADIO = navigation, pandora, iphone, netflix etc etc)

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I need y'all experts help. Don't know what i did wrong. I believe I connected all the wires correctly. It'll go into auto detect mode, then after a few seconds it pauses for a couple of seconds. Then it flashes 7 consecutive intermediate greens, with no long green flashes. Then it flashes 2 reds. Then it flashes red constantly from there on. Here's what I did on the wirirng below. I cut the wires from the 16 pins harness of the car and spliced in. Currently only twisted the connections together to see if everything is working, but is not. I have a 06 5-AT with Bose system.

1. Connected the grey-red wire of Metra to red wire (pin 4) of the car harness
2. Connected the white-green wire of Metra to green wire (pin 13) of the car harness
3. Connected the black ground wire of Metra to yellow wire pin 11) of the car harness. I then took both of those to same grounding point as the head unit.
4. I have a Kenwood DDX790 head unit. So I connected the male & female 3.5 jacks together. Then solder the wire that's labeled steering wheel control on the head unit to the brown wire that's coming out of the female end of the 3.5 jack, per the instructions.
5. Then of course the red power wire is solder to the head unit's red.

I even tried resetting the metra module, but that doesn't work either. I hold down the button for like 5 seconds, but the darn thing wouldn't automatically go into auto detect mode. Does this mean i have a bad module? Or is my ground point is weak?