Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

07 G35 Coupe Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 G35 Coupe Navigation

Hi im wondering if Im able to install a stock navigation and dvd player from another 07 g35 coupe into mine and are there extra parts that I would need so I can install it into mine.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Search the forum on this. It's been asked many times, and every time, how horribly stupid installing factory navigation is is repeated.

Basically, you're going to have to get a whole new wiring harness, since nobody selling a removed navigation system is going to buy the non-navigation harness, tear apart their dash to get the one that includes the wiring for navigation out, and swap them. So look forward to buying a $150+ part from the dealer (or less if you can convince a junkyard to let you try and pull it), plus you've got to tear out your dash:

To get the harness in:

And if you get the one from a junkyard and don't want to completely remove your dash, you'll have fun cutting out the right parts of it and splicing it with your original one.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just go buy a garmin and save yourself the time, money and headache. You'll be much happier with it in the end considering the stock navi units are not the greatest compared to one you would buy at a electronics store.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Search the forum on this. It's been asked many times, and every time, how horribly stupid installing factory navigation is is repeated.

Basically, you're going to have to get a whole new wiring harness, since nobody selling a removed navigation system is going to buy the non-navigation harness, tear apart their dash to get the one that includes the wiring for navigation out, and swap them. So look forward to buying a $150+ part from the dealer (or less if you can convince a junkyard to let you try and pull it), plus you've got to tear out your dash:

To get the harness in:

And if you get the one from a junkyard and don't want to completely remove your dash, you'll have fun cutting out the right parts of it and splicing it with your original one.

Thanks when you installed it did you get all the features like mpg or anything in that nature

Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you are a bit confused. I don't think wrathernaut ever put one in(I might be wrong). He is just showing you with example pics of all the trouble you have to go through to install one. To answer your question though yes you should get the mpg and the distance left to empty info if you decide to go this route.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by lakers714
Thanks when you installed it did you get all the features like mpg or anything in that nature
MDH713 is right, that's not my installation, it was one of the two people I've seen actually do it. As I stated before, search and you can find his thread of all the issues he had.

If you rebuild or install the complete harness, yeah, it'l work, but if you're using a MPG gauge as justification for 16+ hours of pain and potentially breaking a lot of stuff behind the dash, you got some strange priorities.

I have two G35s; one with factory nav, one without. I wouldn't install factory nav into the second one if you gave me the parts for free and me $500 to do it, let alone having to buy all the parts to do it.

A $99 garmin is 10x superior, and a $150 garmin is 100x superior.

Map updates cost more than a new garmin, and you're still stuck with the horrible mini-joystick interface if you put factory navigation system in.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
You can always get a DD head unit that has Navigation if you want to go that route. I wouldn't want to tear my car apart like that.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
MDH713 is right, that's not my installation, it was one of the two people I've seen actually do it. As I stated before, search and you can find his thread of all the issues he had.

If you rebuild or install the complete harness, yeah, it'l work, but if you're using a MPG gauge as justification for 16+ hours of pain and potentially breaking a lot of stuff behind the dash, you got some strange priorities.

I have two G35s; one with factory nav, one without. I wouldn't install factory nav into the second one if you gave me the parts for free and me $500 to do it, let alone having to buy all the parts to do it.

A $99 garmin is 10x superior, and a $150 garmin is 100x superior.

Map updates cost more than a new garmin, and you're still stuck with the horrible mini-joystick interface if you put factory navigation system in.
Oh allright i was also thinking of buying one but using the pop up feature of it and remove the lcd thats on it installing my own gps

Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by dukehotty
You can always get a DD head unit that has Navigation if you want to go that route. I wouldn't want to tear my car apart like that.
Which navigation unit do you recommend