Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No custom trunk baffle setup, classic install next month... here's an email.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No custom trunk baffle setup, classic install next month... here's an email.

What's up guys, hope all is well with your systems (figured it'd be the appropriate greeting).

First off I've got a random question... anybody ever used the 190 amp HO alt Maniac Electric Motors (Dallas TX) makes for the G?

After 3 years of postponing the install and evaluating how much was going to be involved with an IDMax sealed off of the blow through on the back of the rear seat... turns out fiberglass fabrication is expensive.

Now the only thing I've got left to do between now and mid-April is to get an Odyssey battery from the crazy old man at The Battery Shop in Barrie, and pull the trigger on getting that HO alt installed (big 3 would be done at same time).

Not that you care, but here's the install request email I sent a shop yesterday... might give ideas to those who are just getting started.

Good afternoon,

I live just south of Barrie and am looking to have reliable installers work on my car in the upcoming month or so. The car is a 2006 Infiniti G35x with OEM Bose to stereo to be put in cardboard boxes if you have them on hand. By install time (within the next month or so), and unless you tell me you're an Odyssey or Kinetik dealer in which case I would hold off, I will have had a deep cycle batt put in the car. I also have a 190 amp (110 @ idle) high output alternator from Maniac Electric Motors sitting in the garage, but I won't need it if the wiring is done right (project was going to be substantially bigger in power, went from 260 total amps to 180). Here's a breakdown of what parts I have (from previous car/system), and what I'm basically hoping to get an estimate on:

Parts on hand
-Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD
-JDM/OEM-made double-din dash kit (incl A/C harness)
-Soundstream TRA560.2
-Focal 165K2P UV
-JL TR650-CXi (to be powered by head unit)
-Orion 1200D
-IDMax12 D4 - in 1.52 net cu ft, sealed w/ 1.5" baffle
-Approx 10 ft of new/unused 0 ga wire

Parts/services required
-Big 3 (alt to batt, batt to gnd, alt to gnd wires) replaced in 0 ga or augmented by extra 4 ga as deemed fit
-External fuse (180 amp), 0 ga wire from batt to back; leftovers (~10 ft) might suffice given location of batt
-Wiring harness (head unit)
-Head unit / dash kit install
-Solid ground for the HU required (Pioneer fuse is oversensitive)
-Pass USB wire through glove box
-Front stage install
-Mids may require thin to med-thin MDF baffle to accommodate depth - request extra care on the Focals
-Tweeter placement (re-locate from OEM Bose A-pillar loc if necessary due to size of TN-52's)
-Crossovers preferably to be mounted on back of rear seats, cast alum casing is heavy
-Front doors: double layer of your average sound dampening butyl based product (any brand)
-Secure sub enclosure with L-brackets (passenger side, closest to rear seat as possible facing rearward)
-Distribution block (fused or not), 1 X 0 ga --> 2 X 4 ga
-Amp mounting; unsure whether class A/B amp will fit on back of rear seat, class D might be all that's possible
-Trunk dampening: one bitch of a job, but a single layer of the same (see front stage) in the trunk, spare removal required
-Extra dampening: rear deck + license plate
-Tuning (for functionality testing purposes, nearing end of install), excluding front stage setup i.e. SQ adjustments which I'll do myself:
-Keep all HU settings (EQ, x-overs, other feats) on flat/off, sub pre-amp level one notch below max
-Amp gains: need DMM gain setting for sub amp to be at 4V (near 5V min level) and stereo amp to be at 6V (not far from 8V min lvl either; full 140w never to be sent to front stage)
-Amp x-overs: ~70 Hz (sub), ~80 Hz (fronts)

Thanks for taking the time to go through the above list, hopefully it wasn't too basic and covered the specifics you usually look for.

Would you require further input from me to come up with a parts+labor estimate? Because I'm kind of out-of-area (can't get a ride home easily), I was also wondering if all this could be done in one day, knowing full well that dampening the trunk will be the time consuming portion of it... I don't mind doing two trips either.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Jacques