Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

the stereo problem saga continues....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the stereo problem saga continues....

did a quick search and didn't see anything pertaining directly to my issue...

i bought an aftermarket head unit because my factory stereo kept cutting out, but now even with the brand new head unit it's still doing it

here's the issue:
power to the stereo is ALWAYS working- i can always see the display working, change stations, adjust volume, ect, but sometimes there is no sound that will come out of the speakers. i'll get in the car and sometimes it's fine for a week, then for a couple days every other time i start it i dont have a stereo

also when it does it it's not like one speaker stops working or something like that. it's ALL speakers go to no sound whatsoever.

turning the stereo off and back on doesnt work, turning the car on and off doesn't work, changing stereo modes or playing with the volume doesnt work

i'm thinking it may be the bose amp that's going bad? it's the only thing i can think of that would cause my actual stereo to always be fine (factory and aftermarket head unit as far as the display showing everything fine) and consistently take out all of the speakers and not just one or two

any thoughts?

**also on a side note in the last couple months the cars has decided to randomly shut itself off from time to time, and in the last couple weeks the "slip" light and "VDC off" light decide to turn themselves on randomly for days at a time with me unable to turn them off, as well as the parking brake light coming on and off when the parking brake isn't on....i had a 350z for 3 years with zero issues (and that car was a highly modified nitrous car) and i've known the previous owner of my g35 since he bought it new and it never had issues.... so i've always praised these cars for being reliable, but now it seems like the car is turning to ****....it's a 2003 g35 coupe that just turned 90k miles in case anyone was wondering

Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
In for remedy.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by nsfallen
did a quick search and didn't see anything pertaining directly to my issue...

i bought an aftermarket head unit because my factory stereo kept cutting out, but now even with the brand new head unit it's still doing it

here's the issue:
power to the stereo is ALWAYS working- i can always see the display working, change stations, adjust volume, ect, but sometimes there is no sound that will come out of the speakers. i'll get in the car and sometimes it's fine for a week, then for a couple days every other time i start it i dont have a stereo

also when it does it it's not like one speaker stops working or something like that. it's ALL speakers go to no sound whatsoever.

turning the stereo off and back on doesnt work, turning the car on and off doesn't work, changing stereo modes or playing with the volume doesnt work

i'm thinking it may be the bose amp that's going bad? it's the only thing i can think of that would cause my actual stereo to always be fine (factory and aftermarket head unit as far as the display showing everything fine) and consistently take out all of the speakers and not just one or two

any thoughts?

**also on a side note in the last couple months the cars has decided to randomly shut itself off from time to time, and in the last couple weeks the "slip" light and "VDC off" light decide to turn themselves on randomly for days at a time with me unable to turn them off, as well as the parking brake light coming on and off when the parking brake isn't on....i had a 350z for 3 years with zero issues (and that car was a highly modified nitrous car) and i've known the previous owner of my g35 since he bought it new and it never had issues.... so i've always praised these cars for being reliable, but now it seems like the car is turning to ****....it's a 2003 g35 coupe that just turned 90k miles in case anyone was wondering
Your side-note symptoms are commonly seen with (but not necessarily indicate) a low/failing battery. Low batteries can be (but not necessarily are) caused by a failing factory amp. Failing factory amps are the most likely cause for all your speakers cutting out... but the speakers cutting out could be something else - failing headunit, spotty wiring of the amp turn-on-wire, or a poorly insulated mute wire tapping metal in the car could also do it.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Your side-note symptoms are commonly seen with (but not necessarily indicate) a low/failing battery. Low batteries can be (but not necessarily are) caused by a failing factory amp. Failing factory amps are the most likely cause for all your speakers cutting out... but the speakers cutting out could be something else - failing headunit, spotty wiring of the amp turn-on-wire, or a poorly insulated mute wire tapping metal in the car could also do it.
hmm...ya it's not like the speakers quickly go in and out either. it'll be 10min-3 hours of no sound, followed by a few days of sound. it shouldn't be the head unit tho because the only reason i bought my new kenwood hu was because 1) i hate the factory one and 2) i just assumed it was the culprit for the problem because it's acted up for a while now

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by nsfallen
hmm...ya it's not like the speakers quickly go in and out either. it'll be 10min-3 hours of no sound, followed by a few days of sound. it shouldn't be the head unit tho because the only reason i bought my new kenwood hu was because 1) i hate the factory one and 2) i just assumed it was the culprit for the problem because it's acted up for a while now
So probably the amp or one of the wiring problems mentioned.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
So probably the amp or one of the wiring problems mentioned.
well i'll check out those wires and see if i can see a problem.thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM
i'm having the same issues with my g. I thought it was the wiring at first so i redid all the soldering, checked the grounds and it still acts up. There will be days when it will work fine, but then i hit a bump on the road and the sound goes off, hit another bump sound comes back on. I'm thinking its the bose amp going bad. I am also considering buying an aftermarket head unit, but after reading this i might reconsider. Are you still using the bose amp with your aftermarket hu?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The Bose amp seems to be a problem in a lot of sound issues. I'd recommend getting a new DD stereo and adding a good quality 2-4 channel amp to drive it. You'll be quite happy with the results.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
The Bose amp seems to be a problem in a lot of sound issues. I'd recommend getting a new DD stereo and adding a good quality 2-4 channel amp to drive it. You'll be quite happy with the results.
This is pretty much the solution to every problem with audio system.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
i am still using the bose amp and i think it is probably the issue...except i dont want to replace it with another crappy bose amp, but all of the aftermarket ones that would work seem to be $350 minimum... sucks because im not trying to upgrade my audio system, i'm just trying to maintain AN audio system and have it work consistently

Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, who knew luxury cars would be expensive to work on?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I bought a used Bose amp on eBay, swapped out my old one with the new one. Stereo worked fine for 2 weeks then crapped out AGAIN. Here's my setup - the headunit connects to bose, bose outputs go into MS8 input, MS8 output go to two amplifiers. The reason i kept the bose is because it sounds really bad if i connect the headunit directly to the ms8. I assume its because the headunit sends a weak signal and the bose amplifies it.

This really sucks, i guess i better save for a DD setup. smh

Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Mystroe99
I bought a used Bose amp on eBay, swapped out my old one with the new one. Stereo worked fine for 2 weeks then crapped out AGAIN. Here's my setup - the headunit connects to bose, bose outputs go into MS8 input, MS8 output go to two amplifiers. The reason i kept the bose is because it sounds really bad if i connect the headunit directly to the ms8. I assume its because the headunit sends a weak signal and the bose amplifies it.

This really sucks, i guess i better save for a DD setup. smh
Get the bose amplifier out of the signal path if you have an aftermarket headunit, if you can't get an aftermarket headunit to work with the MS8 and produce good sound, either the MS8 is faulty, or whomever's trying to install it doesn't know how to tune.