Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Opinions on subwoofers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:16 PM
|
Opinions on subwoofers

I am thinking about getting one sub woofer, probably just a 10-inch in the trunk. I want to put one in, but I want to hear the music not my car rattling everywhere.
I want to hear what others did in their G35s so I can get an idea of what I'm doing.
So,to who ever has them....

What brand?
What size?
How many?
Do you like them?

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:19 PM
|
Also shallow mount or standard?

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:44 PM
Sundown Audio SA-12
1 12" subwoofer, dual 4-ohm voice coil
Ran off a 1500watt audiopipe amp, wired to two ohms so its gettin 1000 watts power
I like it a whole lot, its very loud and fills out the rest of my music, but i am also running a nice set of components in my front doors ran off a 2 channel amp so my music is loud and clear.

Old 04-17-2013 | 08:09 PM
|
Originally Posted by mcdizzle
Sundown Audio SA-12
1 12" subwoofer, dual 4-ohm voice coil
Ran off a 1500watt audiopipe amp, wired to two ohms so its gettin 1000 watts power
I like it a whole lot, its very loud and fills out the rest of my music, but i am also running a nice set of components in my front doors ran off a 2 channel amp so my music is loud and clear.
Did you put any dynamat in your car?

Old 04-17-2013 | 08:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
A single 10" JL 10w6v2, powered by a JL 500/1v2 in a 4080 box. Very good setup.

My wife's has a single 10" Rockford Fosgage Punch P3, also in a 4080 box. Not as tight as the JL 10w6v2, but it was a bit cheaper.

Dynamat? No - too expensive and not very good. Vibration dampener? Yes - CLD tiles from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

I also used minimal-expanding foam sealant inside the spaces of the rear deck and other spaces to keep stuff stiff and rattle-free in the trunk.

Old 04-17-2013 | 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Spencer94
Did you put any dynamat in your car?
2 sheets, but the only place they went was on my front doors around where the component sub is

Old 04-17-2013 | 09:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by mcdizzle
2 sheets, but the only place they went was on my front doors around where the component sub is
The trunk is probably the most important. It's not very well sealed from noise, since it's generally sealed off by the seats from the main cabin. You want some sort of path for the bass in the trunk to get to the cabin, so removing the rear 6x9's or 8" woofer in the rear deck will let noise from the trunk in. The trunk lid, fenders and trunk floor should be dampened.

The doors are definitely a necessity too, especially if you're upgrading the speakers in them.

Old 04-17-2013 | 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The trunk is probably the most important. It's not very well sealed from noise, since it's generally sealed off by the seats from the main cabin. You want some sort of path for the bass in the trunk to get to the cabin, so removing the rear 6x9's or 8" woofer in the rear deck will let noise from the trunk in. The trunk lid, fenders and trunk floor should be dampened.

The doors are definitely a necessity too, especially if you're upgrading the speakers in them.
i usually put the rear armrest down and open the little hidden door behind it to vent the trunk into the cabin. im thinking about selling the 12" setup and just replacing the 8" in the rear deck with a free air sub and small amp since i autocross the car and dont like having to remove the sub every other weekend.

Old 04-17-2013 | 11:52 PM
|
I put two 6x9's on the deck behind the rear seats and I have upgraded the speakers in my doors. Are you saying to take the 6x9's out?

Old 04-18-2013 | 09:09 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
That's a popular practice here, it's called a front soundstage set up. Music is recorded in a 2 channel format, not in surround sound. So when you add rear speakers to the mix without sophisticated mixing/equalizing equipment you end up with an unbalanced/muddy result. Go with a good quality set of component front speakers and a sub in the trunk. Super clean sound and good thump.

Old 04-18-2013 | 10:53 AM
|
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
That's a popular practice here, it's called a front soundstage set up. Music is recorded in a 2 channel format, not in surround sound. So when you add rear speakers to the mix without sophisticated mixing/equalizing equipment you end up with an unbalanced/muddy result. Go with a good quality set of component front speakers and a sub in the trunk. Super clean sound and good thump.
I will have two holes in the rear deck if I take them out though, and that doesn't look very good haha. What would be the downside to leaving the 6x9's and just adding a sub in the trunk? I have updated front door components.

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
I will have two holes in the rear deck if I take them out though, and that doesn't look very good haha. What would be the downside to leaving the 6x9's and just adding a sub in the trunk? I have updated front door components.
You leave the grilles in place so you don't see any holes.

Old 04-18-2013 | 11:45 AM
|
So my plan is to put in a 10 inch Polk DXi 4 ohm in the trunk. I already have an alpine amp that I have running to the 6x9s. I will send the amp to the sub and take out the 6x9s, should that work pretty well?

Old 04-18-2013 | 12:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
So my plan is to put in a 10 inch Polk DXi 4 ohm in the trunk. I already have an alpine amp that I have running to the 6x9s. I will send the amp to the sub and take out the 6x9s, should that work pretty well?
If you get a proper ported box for the sub, you should be ok.

Old 04-18-2013 | 12:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you get a proper ported box for the sub, you should be ok.
Is the enclosure you have ported? And do you think it would be better to put it up against the rear seats or to place the sub near the rear wheel in the trunk?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on subwoofers