Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT!! Pioneer 8400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
URGENT!! Pioneer 8400

So after wiring up everything it powered up fine then I moved it and the unit turned off. I've isolated the issue down to the Metra 40-NI10 because when I unplug it the unit turns off but when i plug it back in it powers up. Then if I wiggle the antenna adapter the unit turns off. So ive isolated it down to that I believe and also the sound coming out of the speakers is very faint. Turned up all the way it sounds pretty low. Please if anyone has had this issue let me know, I was supposed to be going back home right now but I'm stuck with this problem! Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have two assumptions but would prefer to see pictures before I expand on these. The first one is that your radio needs a better ground or another component of the radio interface isn't grounded completely. The second is that you are using the inline scosche adapter designed for bose systems. I had trouble with mine also and eventually replaced it with a standard adapter and new speakers (bypassed the stock bose amp without cutting wires).

Take some pictures of your setup and let me take a look. Also, include a list of all aftermarket components please. Experience: installed for Bestbuy for 2 years when I was younger and have been installing for over 12 years solo.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
So I fixed the powering issue, turning on and off. Something was loose so I decided to solder everything instead of butt connectors. But I'm still having that volume problem. I am using the PAC Roem NIS2 to retain my Bose and I am Also using the metra axxess for the steering wheel controls which I finally programmed lol. Ill take some pics in a sec but do I need to program the PAC Roem NIS 2? Also I have a microbypass

Old 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM
The volume problem with the adapters to retain the bose capability seems to be a common issue. I brought it up to Crutchfield and they hadn't heard of the problem which I'm surprised. When I had the scosche version installed I had to turn my radio up to 25 just to get a basic sound and that was with the gains turned all the way down otherwise I would get distortion at level 4 on the radio with the gains even slightly turned up..... I ultimately replaced all speakers and amp.

Does anyone else know why these inline adapters suck so much? I'm really starting to think it's the output of the HU to the stock bose amp that's causing the problem. But I'm not buying a new HU just to find out. My old HU was an Alpine CDA 9884 but I also had the same problem with my Pioneer AppRadio 1st gen.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
The volume problem with the adapters to retain the bose capability seems to be a common issue. I brought it up to Crutchfield and they hadn't heard of the problem which I'm surprised. When I had the scosche version installed I had to turn my radio up to 25 just to get a basic sound and that was with the gains turned all the way down otherwise I would get distortion at level 4 on the radio with the gains even slightly turned up..... I ultimately replaced all speakers and amp.

Does anyone else know why these inline adapters suck so much? I'm really starting to think it's the output of the HU to the stock bose amp that's causing the problem. But I'm not buying a new HU just to find out. My old HU was an Alpine CDA 9884 but I also had the same problem with my Pioneer AppRadio 1st gen.
It's not the inline adapters, it's the Bose amp. The adapters work well for about 99% of the installs here, but bose amp quality control is pretty much non-existent, so sometimes they're just too far out of tolerance to accept any signal. It's really not worth it to try and keep the bose amp, even if you just go buy a $50 2-channel amp and run two speakers, you're getting a sound quality upgrade over the bose garbage.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Sounds about right but if you're going to replace the amp you might as well do the speakers too. Hell, at least you'll have some paper-coned POS you can stick to random shat

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
So as it turns out to my surprise after i decided to take it to a local stereo shop to figure out the problem, I come to find out that I do not have Bose? I thought that all of our cars came stock with Bose? Anyways basically they cut my Pac Roem out and installed a new harness and now my stereo works great! its so loud and the bass sounds so nice and clean!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
They are sending a straight signal to the amp which actually works fine only issue is that you will notice a major change in just one turn of the volume ****. If you can live with that then good stuff. It drove me insane personally but then again I'm an audiophile. Just don't crank it way way up to listen outside your car... You'll risk distorting the speakers and possibly blowing them.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Non Bose

Ok I'm an idiot and did not catch the part about NON BOSE as you clearly stated. Disregard my last post and enjoy you music

Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Hahah it's all good. And so I should be fine right? No blown speakers lol

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Thumbs up stereo

Oh ya, you're fine. HU direct to speakers (non-bose) is what you want. The PAC module they took out is designed to send a relatively weaker signal to a bose amp because some HU have 4 volt preouts or high and while that won't necessarily hurt your system you'll have volume control issues. Bose 99% of the time require 2 volt preouts. Maybe in the long run it'll screw things up but not initially.

All in all BOSE sucks anyways. You'll have an easier time upgrading components with out that waste of metal in your vehicle.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
What does our cars come stock with then if Bose is only a Premium package option?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Basic

Some off the shelf paper coned speakers that are more or less universal to any vehicle without a premium system. Technically BOSE should fall right in line because their stuff is paper as well.....

When a system has "BOSE" it's basically going from 4 speakers to 6 adding TWEETERS and adding a very low powered amp to the speakers. There's not really anything else special about the system.

For anyone reading this I highly recommend getting the basic stereo system whenever you have the option and want to upgrade. 1) why pay for something you're going to remove 2) premium systems can be a PITA to bypass/remove depending on how integrated they are into the consoles controls.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by jonavalos93
What does our cars come stock with then if Bose is only a Premium package option?
Panasonic (Base) on the left, Bose ("Premium") on the right:

Panasonic:

Bose:

The Panasonic feel much more rigid, it may be some sort of cloth-based cone, the Bose are definitely paper.

Both systems use the exact same tweeters (I removed the mount from one):

And while we're at it, here's the "8-inch" bose woofer from the sedan:

The following users liked this post:
jonavalos93 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Good to know! Then even those panasonic ones were POS with the Stock HU. Now it sounds like how speakers should sound with my new HU! Oh and the Panasonic ones dont have an Amp right? thats how i found out i didnt have Bose, the installer said i didnt have an Amp thats why the Pac Roem wasn't powering the speakers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: URGENT!! Pioneer 8400