Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound deadening the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Closed Cell

anyone know how Closed Cell Foam attaches to the vehicle? Is it a glue?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeantRed
Got me. I hope to hear from Naut today before I get off work. My Rat Trap showed and looking to do the trunk today, but would like to know of the spray foam so I can pick it up after work before I work on the trunk.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikTaylor
Naut, this is what I was talking about in my last post. Thanks.
I used a single can to fill gaps in my trunk. Didn't use it all.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Preferred method is industrial-strength velcro - read www.sounddeadenershowdown.com . You're not trying to make an air-tight, just make a de-coupled sound barrier.

The following users liked this post:
SergeantRed (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Wow got my trunk done. What a pain in the dick. I hope the doors and floor are easier. Plan on tackling the doors tomorrow after work, then the floor after work Friday just in time for the install on Saturday.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Door Handle

The doors are a lot easier! Just make sure that when you put them back together the ball on the end of the cable for the door handle is placed back in position correctly otherwise you'll put it all back together, like I did, and realize you can't get out of your car.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
The doors are a lot easier! Just make sure that when you put them back together the ball on the end of the cable for the door handle is placed back in position correctly otherwise you'll put it all back together, like I did, and realize you can't get out of your car.
LOL thanks for the tip Red.

Thanks Naut. I found what I was looking for yesterday. The flexible foam for windows and doors. It was called "The Good Stuff" and it was $6 for a can.

Another question. I was told that Fat Mat doesn't smell, but this morning upon entering the car the cabin smelled of Tar. I'm assuming that's just because it was freshly installed. Right now my car is parked at work with the windows down and the trunk open. Will this smell go away?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh ya, it goes away in about 2-4 weeks max! I have some non-standard stuff in my car and it wreaked for the first week but even that went away. With the temperatures in the 80s and 90s it's going to heat it up and the smell will be strong for a while. Windows down will help it to escape and not build up as much. All depends on your nose too. I can't smell **** so for me I had to be right up next to it.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Wrathernaut, does the foam have to be completely covered by velcro or just enough to hold it in place so it doesn't move? The second part would be my guess.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Oh ya, it goes away in about 2-4 weeks max! I have some non-standard stuff in my car and it wreaked for the first week but even that went away. With the temperatures in the 80s and 90s it's going to heat it up and the smell will be strong for a while. Windows down will help it to escape and not build up as much. All depends on your nose too. I can't smell **** so for me I had to be right up next to it.
So I shouldn't worry about returning it then because the smell will go away? I've spent all morning looking at alternatives and kept thinking, man I really don't want to take all of that out of my trunk now that I got it in there...lol.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
It will go away just takes time, don't take it out lol

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I just spoke to a very nice lady at Fat Mat and here is what she said.

The reason it smells is because it came hot off the press, into a box, and right in my trunk without any "air out" time. Which makes sense because I literally brought the sealed box down to my car and put it right in my trunk. She said the smell will go away within 3-4 days, but in the meantime get an odor absorber if you can't stand it. I may pick up a few small boxes of baking soda to help with this.

A little bit about the product straight from the rep...

It's not strictly asphalt based, but an "alternative." So there is asphalt in there, but not like the old ones used to be. It's an asphalt/rubber alternative. She said the Rattle Trap (80) is very similar in performance than the thinner butyl products because it's just as dense as the butyl rubber (granted 1/4 thicker)!

A little about heating and sliding around...

She said the main difference between the Rattle Trap and the Mega Mat is about 50 degrees. The Rattle Trap is rated around 250-260 degrees. So in an event of a fire, the Mega Mat will be a better choice for that 50* rise. I also brought up how people post about asphalt based products heating up and sliding around. She said to watch out for when those posts were made (I verified this and does seem to be true) because the products have been revamped since the earlier versions to resist higher heat.

She also said I'm a bad *** mother****er! Which I replied I duly appreciate that!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I never had any smell at all with the CLD tiles from SDS.

No, you don't need to velcro the entire thing. Just enough to hold the weight really.

Good Stuff brand is what I used in mine too. Just make sure you're not injecting it anywhere that there are factory wires or access required... goes in easy, major PITA to remove.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Just FYI there is a brand called B-Quiet which is every bit as good as Dynamat but about 1/20 the price. I have used it on my last three vehicles and it's excellent (and is butyl-based so does not smell when warm).

There is a B-Quiet distributor in Alberta who lists on Ebay. Not sure if there is a US distributor but even with shipping to the US it would be cheaper than Dynamat of FatMat.

Dynamat is a huge rip-off. You're paying large $$$ for the name alone, just like Monster Cable.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Well it did help with road noise quite considerably. Had an issue with the speaker so haven't been able to test the deadening from the subs yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening the coupe