Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Xbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xbox

Ok Guys, I've searched the internet and this forum. There is just way too much info to sort through. I know there are a few XBOX modders in here, so I'm hoping I can get straight to the answers I'm looking for.

I'm looking at possibilities of using the Xbox in my G. The mod chip I'm looking a most is the Xecuter3. Specifically, a premodded Xbox with this chip and their new front facia/switch panel/LCD. I would assume this chip should be able to perform all the duties of a media center as I would like, but I'm trying for an absolutely clean install. Not just appearance, but functionality.

As I understand it, there are infrared sensor mods that can be done. I still have yet to confirm if their new facia has one built in or at least a window for a sensor. My question about IR though, is if it is limited to a certain range of IR frequencies or if that limitation is dependent solely on the IR sensor itself(I'm no electrical engineer). My purpose is to try and integrate the steering wheel controls to perform some limited functions using the IR output available with the PAC products for our car. I know PAC's product is limited to a certain range of IR frequencies so I need to make sure it will be compatible.

Secondly, I'm looking at being able to hardwire the XBox to turn on with the car. I'm trying to make this transparent so that I don't have to use any homelink buttons or anything like that. Realistically, I only need to find a relay of somekind that is compact that provides a short pulse of continuity when it receives power(so that it will emulate somone pushing the power button). Maybe with a slight delay in case there are any timing issues between it and the Xbox itself receiving power when the key is turned on.

Lastly, for now, I'm considering trying to run power to the xbox directly rather than through an inverter. I'd speculate the parts of the xbox run off of DC power internally so short of making sure each component gets the right voltages it can be done. Not sure how easy this might be though. From some pictures of the internals I've seen it appears the power supply splits up the voltages accordingly. Anyone have a list of the different voltages used within the xbox? I may curb this idea if it gets too complicated or expensive. Which actually leads me to my next question. Anyone here having any issues running a non-sine wave inverter? I have one that I used to run a laptop while tuning an E-Manage on my last car, but that killed the battery of the laptop.

Again, I'm no electrical engineer, and I do not have an expansive knowledge of the inner workings of the Xbox, so I'm hoping some of you in here might be able to answer these questions. Please try and limit responses to trying to answer my specific questions(i.e. I don't want to see people simply respond by saying just to use the XBox controller as a remote, or do the homelink mod, etc, etc.) I don't mind discussing other things, but I'm really looking at the feasability of the ideas I stated above. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I can help with a couple of these issues.

Remote turn on;

It is easy enough to get an Xbox to turn on remotely; all you need to do is to solder a connection to the lower (double) pole of the turn on button, and connecting that to the Xbox ground will turn the machine on. That connection can be done with a relay, a hard wired button, or some IR device. Radio Shack sells small IR recievers and transmitters that can be used for this. FYI, there is a single unused wire in the controller cable, and you can easily put an "on" button on the controller itself, utilizing that unused wire. (the shielding in the controler cable supplies your ground). If you're using a wireless controller, you probably want the IR (garage door opener type) switch. As for me, I don't like the feel of the wireless controlers, so I've put an "on" button on the back of my type "S" controller.

I can keep my modded Xbox in the trunk, and I have audio, video, and 120v outlets at that same corner of the trunk. The controler cables are plenty long to reach the back seat, and there is an "On" button on one of the controllers. The kids can access anything on the 120GB HD, or turn the machine off/on remotely. If you wanted this in the front seat too, it would be easy enough to buy a controller extension chord.

Steering wheel controls;

I believe this is possible. assuming you are willing to give up the existing radio control function of the steering wheel buttons. If you use an aftermarket head unit, you might be able to do both. Keep in mind the factory head unit is hard wired to the steering wheel buttons. A SWIX contoller works intercepting those button push signals, and then sends out on an IR command set, to the aftermarket head unit or some other device. I don't think there's any practical way (I have heard of) of combining these features. Perhaps a SWIX connected with a multi pole relay so that some switch would toggle between Xbox IR control and hard wired factory radio control. Seems like a pretty tough job.

12 Volt power for the Xbox;

The XBox is basicially a pentium based computer, so it's power requirements are probably pretty similar to any PC. However, I don't think powering it without an inverter will be an easy thing, as it is not a standard ATX motherboard. But perhaps one of the 12vDC computer powersupplies on the marketplace could be adapted to work. I have not seen this done though.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding of the Pac device is that it functions on our car through the PAC satellite interface so it only works when the appropriate satellite channel is used(SAT1, SAT2). Since it functions directly through the headunit, it would not affect the use of the controls during CD,Radio or tape play.

As for the power button, I tested my regular XBOX last night and held the power button for 30 seconds and it stayed on, so for a normal XBOX, it might be fine to simply rig a relay to the wires of the power button. However, it appears the Xecuter chip switches BIOS functionality if you hold the power button down. I'm not sure if the replacement panel with the LCD and switches mounted in teh front may change that at all or not though. I'm just looking for potential solutions at this point. If the power button is sensetive to how long you hold it on the modded XBOX I plan to run, I may need a relay that provides only a short burst of continuity.

As far as power, yeah, I'm thinking it won't be a wholly easy solution. I'm willing to do the work if it can be done reliably and relatively cheap. But I do not have enough knowledge about the problems that can exist with setting something like this up. I speculate there could still be some noise issues and without a switching type of powersupply(MOSFET?). But from there, I think it would be easy enough to have seperate leads and regulate for different voltages as needed. Another worry is the voltage with the motor on. Based on the limited knowledge I have of overclocking, it would seem to me, regulating the voltage with some precision might be necessary. BTW, what 12DC power supplies are you speaking of? I've never heard of this. Details please. =)