Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Xbox Install Done

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Install Done

Well boys and girls of g35driver.com, I finally finished my xbox install.

I used the navbox/pac combo and placed both of them inside the front/buttom center dash, underneath the stock radio, behind the ashtray (good space there).

The xbox is sitting behind me on the passenger floor area. The inverter is mounted behind the center console, also in the middle passenger floor area (on the hump area). I am providing power via the power outlet/plug to the inverter (Vector 225 watts, 450 max), and the wired are tucked in underneath the center consol to where the inverter is. I never use the passenger seats for anything, so this set up works perfectly for me.

I converted the switch (valet) in the glove compartment to on/off power to inverter (in essence, it turns off/on power to the power outlet, which powers the inverter. The switch itself on the inverter is always on. Also, for the xbox, I used the "HIGHLY technical toothpick mod", where you stick it in the power/reset switch to have it in the permanent on position. With the set up, I can turn on/off both the inverter and the xbox via the switch in the glove compartment, since the xbox now turns on automatically when it sees power and off when it doesn't.

I use the sat button to switch video from nav to xbox. The way I did it was to split the audio from navbox from each RCA cable to 2, therefore feeding both aux 1 and 2 of the pac unit. I then connected the green wire on navbox (the wire that is normally connected to a switch that would go back/forth from nav to xbox) to a ground wire on pac, that conveniently switches back/forth when going back to aux 1 or 2. I used a relay, just in case, since I didntl want the green wire to see any currents.

I then put a dvd remote received by the middle/driver side ac vent, and ran extention wire from the tiny receiver to s inside the dash to back of center consol to xbox, so this way, I have a clean remote set up.

In essence, I can turn on/off the whole system with the switch in the glove box. I can switch back/forth between nav and xbox by pressing the sat button, withaudio from the xbox being on with either screen. I can remotely control the xbox with the remote (I like the remote better since I can keep my eyes on road and just play/pause/forward etc by feel of buttons as opposed to looking anywhere...)

There was no need to ground xbox, or to get power directly from the battery. I have zero noise issues. The power plug wires are rated as 10 amp, which is more than enough for my inverter/xbox.

I wanted to thank everyone in this forum who helped me with my various questions in past threads, especially Daniel who provided the navbox and his ultra fast email responses, and CKwiK, whom I got the cool idea for the sat button switch, and for all his responses and advice from his PM's.

I'm in the process of moving to San Diego and had packed away my camera, so no pics, but I'll take some pics of the final set-up once I unpack my camera.

Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Old 06-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it done. =)

I can't take credit for using the SAT button to switch screens. Someone else had that idea long before I did. I was happy to pass on the idea though.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Man, I love this set up, having the xbox is the way to go.

Xbox modded with 200 gig HD: 200$
Navbox with shipping:160$
PAC with shipping:75$
225/450 watts inverter from best Buys: 40$
DVD remote controler: 30$
Extension cable for xbox: 6$
RCA extension/splitters:15$

End result:
Priceless