Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Power inverter problem/question!!! - for Xbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power inverter problem/question!!! - for Xbox

Hey guys. I'm wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I got this power inverter from ebay which powers teh xbox just fine. The only problem with it is that whenever I leave the inverter switch in the ON position with the xbox plugged into it and turn the car on the inverter makes a constant warning beeeeeeeeeep until i have to manually turn the inverter switch OFF then back ON again. I'd have to do this all the time.

Now I havent placed the whole system in my car yet cuz of taht issue. Does anybody have neway I can circumvent that issue? I know from another forum that someone said to make a relay connected to my acc/ign but I was wondering if there was another way aronud that. If anybody knows exactly step by step how to make that could you pm me or reply with the instructions. I can follow the instruction easily but don't quite know how to.

I also thought about making an extension for the power inverter ON/OFF switch and placing it close to the driver so that I can do it manually every time in the worse case scenario. BTW, since I bought this inverter from ebay i hope to not sellback and buy a new one since i got a great deal on this one.

Help me out guys.

-----------------
And if anybody was interested in my project..well be prepared it's a bit "ghetto" i guess but I think it might work.

I found a thread where the member "aorbeta" and bought a nav housing, i'm not 100% sure i know what he bought but can only imagine what is it, and replaced the stock cubby hole with that piece so that he can manually lift and lower an lcd with housing which looks stock. GREAT but i wanted to power up and down so I searched the net and was lookign for simple servos that would power the up/down motion but stumbled onto a cd-rom system. yes.
yeah i know crazy but i'd like to try it.

I'd use an old cd-rom and place that whole mechanism, hopefully gutted the useless things, fairly deep and back behind the lcd location, i'm really hoping theres room, and pwering it up constant through one of the front cig light plugs. I found schematics on what the cd-rom uses power wise: 12v, gnd, gnd, 5v i believe. And found some relay setup that would hopefully power it. If anybody knows anythign else or more about this let me know please!!!!!

Um well taht's the gist of it.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you supplying power for the inverter from?

Your inverter probably beeps because it probably has some warning circuit that beeps whenver the engine is off so that you don't drain the battery.

You should just connect a relay to the power wire running to the inverter. That's how I have mine hooked up and with the switch in the ON position on my inverter, it's always on whenever the ACC is on and it turns off when the car is off, just like the amps. I just used a SPST relay from radioshack, cheap and works fine:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D226

Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Your inverter isnt strong enough or supply enough power. Basically it can't survive crank from what I understand.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Perfect GoSooners. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for and thx for showing me. I fairly sure it survives crank though pratik97 but i will keep that in mind.
BTW, I want to have it plugged into the armrest cig adapter because I believe that one is more suitable with it's blatant 120W handle rating.

GoSooners, would it be trouble if you could possibly take pics of the relay in position and wiring and send them to me via email jakeup11193@yahoo.com ? If it is trouble then I will totally understand and you dont have to send me anything.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
It might be some sort of warning letting you know that the inverter was switched to the on position when it received power. You can test this by leaving it on, and then attaching the power leads. Also try testing it with something plugged in as it may be sensetive to this. If it does this, I'd probably look at hardwiring it so that the power to the inverter is always on. Then remove the switch and wire a relay in it's place that uses a remote turn on lead to turn the inverter on and off with the car.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
If you wish to plug it in the cig lighter, or have been...then we may not be on the same page. I have my setup as CKwik described. It's hardwired to my dist block using 8 gauge wire so the inverter is always on, even when the key is out. Thus, my reason to install a relay with a remote turn on. But I'll take pics sometime tomorrow or this weekend. Email me at qmpham@ou.edu for a reminder and any questions that you may have.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I think pratik is right that the current drop during cranking is causing it to alarm since there isn't enough power. A large capacitor might help but you'd have to try it out to see.

When I installed the inverter for my Xbox I wired a relay to the inverter power switch. Then I hooked the relay up to a DesignTech garage door receiver (as discussed in this thread). So now I can turn my Xbox on and off from one of the Homelink buttons. Pretty convenient. Lemme know if you want any more details on it.