Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

stock bose amp replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock bose amp replacement?

I recently upgraded my stock HU to Pioneer double din. The sound quality was better but still unimpressed so I bought 4 infinity kappa speakers ( 2 front door 6.5 , 2 rear 6 by 9) have not bought the 5 1/4 for the rear sides. My question is about what amp to get to amplify these speakers. Should I get a 4 channel amp and just amplify these 4 speakers or get a six channel amp and amplify all six after buying 2 more speakers for the rear sides. Ideally I just want to get an amp that will be the same dimensions as the stock amp and just swap it without doing any major wiring as I will be doing it myself and have minimal experience amplifying speakers. Also I'm on a budget and dont want to spend 400+ on an amp. I just want something that will sound decent. What are my options? I tried doing some research but it seems that everyone is doing something different. I will not be getting a sub. Thanks again and sorry to be annoying if this topic has already been covered.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I have a Polk amp that worked great as a replacement. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkmark7
I recently upgraded my stock HU to Pioneer double din. The sound quality was better but still unimpressed so I bought 4 infinity kappa speakers ( 2 front door 6.5 , 2 rear 6 by 9) have not bought the 5 1/4 for the rear sides. My question is about what amp to get to amplify these speakers. Should I get a 4 channel amp and just amplify these 4 speakers or get a six channel amp and amplify all six after buying 2 more speakers for the rear sides. Ideally I just want to get an amp that will be the same dimensions as the stock amp and just swap it without doing any major wiring as I will be doing it myself and have minimal experience amplifying speakers. Also I'm on a budget and dont want to spend 400+ on an amp. I just want something that will sound decent. What are my options? I tried doing some research but it seems that everyone is doing something different. I will not be getting a sub. Thanks again and sorry to be annoying if this topic has already been covered.
One note, the rears aren't 5.25", they're 6.5 like the front. Secondly, don't replace them, just remove them from the sound setup. Front soundstage is the way to go. I wouldn't have gone with the Kappas in the rear either, they really don't go low enough to be considered any sort of replacement for a real sub, but if you're going with a 6x9 instead of something like a small 8" sub, I'd go with one that is designed to try to cover low-end like this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9874-hd-...id-woofer.aspx.

There's no standard size for amps, like there is for radios, so the best you'll get is something that can go in about the same place with creative mounting.

I'd just go with a solid 4-channel amp that actually produces the power advertised. Rockford fosgate is actually pretty good at this for the price. Anyone who thinks they could hear the difference between it and something 2-4x as much while the vehicle is in motion is kidding themselves. Now for a competition in a controlled environment, yeah you could probably tell the difference, but you'll get a lot more real-world sound quality for your money by spending what you save in sound deadening.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dukehotty (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 02:27 PM
As per the genius above, I did upgrade the amp after I put in my DD and it made a big difference. I did that for a bit and decided to go for two amps. I still have the single amp that I was using for a short time. I might put it up on the forum or ebay. It's a Polk Audio PA330.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 PM
It sounds like keeping 4 speakers and getting a 4 channel amp is the way to go for me. I already bought the kappas so there is nothing i can do about it now. I installed the front 2 today and the highs sound great but the bass is worse than stock Bose. Very disappointing! I thought that with the aftermarket head unit and aftermarket speakers it would be at least a little better. I guess I need the amp. Rockord fosgate sounds like a good way to go. What about Memphis 4 channel amp. I heard Memphis is good also. Should I get this?

Amazon.com: SRX4.300 - Memphis 4-Channel 600W RMS Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: SRX4.300 - Memphis 4-Channel 600W RMS Amplifier: Car Electronics

Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Im just looking for something to swap the bose amp with and not do any wiring. Fitment might also be an issue as the bose amp is small.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Im just looking for something to swap the bose amp with and not do any wiring. Fitment might also be an issue as the bose amp is small.
You'll never get bass without the new amp for power.

You still have to do power wiring.

I'd go with the RF. I've got the 300 in my wife's car and it's been very good.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-14-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: 300... not 600
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

can u send me a link for the one ur wife has? there is so many different models

is this one fine?

Amazon.com: New Rockford Fosgate Prime 600 Watt Class D 4 channel Amplifier: Electronics
Whoops, 300, not 600. I used this one in my wife's. No complaints about the output with this thing: http://amzn.to/1bshZU8

Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM
looks like a good option but seems way to cheap and Im concerned that if I go under 400 it might not be too loud

however if I get this can i hook up a sub later down the road?

Amazon.com: New Rockford Fosgate Prime 600 Watt Class D 4 channel Amplifier: Electronics Amazon.com: New Rockford Fosgate Prime 600 Watt Class D 4 channel Amplifier: Electronics

thanks for the advice by the way

Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 AM
If that's your concern, just save your pennies and buy two amps. Better to do it right the first time.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

looks like a good option but seems way to cheap and Im concerned that if I go under 400 it might not be too loud

however if I get this can i hook up a sub later down the road?

Amazon.com: New Rockford Fosgate Prime 600 Watt Class D 4 channel Amplifier: Electronics

thanks for the advice by the way
I do understand your reservations, but I've got it power a pair of Image Dynamics CTX65-CS's it's plenty loud.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Polk Audio make some of the cleanest sounding Amps. They also have a ebay store they sell refurb ones for cheap with 1 year warranties.

You're going to have to run wires. The old bose wires will not hook up right with a new amp. Two amps are better than one. Use a 4 channel to run 8 speakers in cabin and the 1 or 2 channel to run 1 or 2 subs. This is the ideal set up Ive been collecting for when the time is right. Its hard to buy a great car audio set up when you spend all your money on mods

Good luck, the DD dash kit isnt cheap.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Hope someone can help me I am trying to tap into my speaker wire
Before it is amplified . It can be any speakers
But would rather be the two in the back. I am trying
To get the signal from the speakers when it coming from the head unit not after it is amplified with the factory amp. It would be of much help if you could tell me which wires and around what location I can find them .. I don't want to mess with the head unit because it's to much for me at the moment if any one can help me out I would be real thankful I am using high to low converter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stock bose amp replacement?