Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
^^^^wrathernaut answered this question in another post. Cant be done without the harness.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Ejgold55
That is a bit more complex than I thought. Thanks for the pictures to put a job like that in perspective.

I don't suppose I could connect a moving screen unit with the display removed (as you did in this post), and just hook that unit up to the current Bose I have (no navigation)to have a moving screen to mount a garmen or ipod...something on?

I would assume not, but i just want to solidify any idea i have about this radio will not work..........
If you're only looking to have the pop-up screen work, that's fairly easy.

The up-and-down unit (Yes, that's it's official name in the manuals) is a separate 6-pin harness (gray harness M95).

Pin 1: Red w/white stripe: Constant +12v
Pin 2: Yellow w/green stripe: +12v when ignition switch is in on or start position
Pin 3: Black: Ground
Pin 4: Light green: Accessory power: +12v when ignition switch is in on or ACC position
Pin 5: red w/white stripe: Limit switch: provides +5v signal to the navi control unit to let it know when unit is open
Pin 6: not used

So, you could probably get away with wiring just the constant +12v to the same as the radio, use the radio's switched power to pins 2 and 4, and grounding pin 3. The *cool* thing you can get away with too, if you're feeling creative, is that +5v signal wire. Take a guess what else uses a +5v signal? USB. You could probably get away with charging a phone with it quite easily.

The M95 harness is the gray one in the top right, just below the top white label:

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
Ejgold55 (08-29-2014), M S (07-08-2019)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
quick tip for anyone else disassembling and playing with the motorized housing. I was messing with mine and after reassembling everytime the screen would go down it kept popping back open. would not stay closed at all.

didnt understand, thought there was somethething causing resistance but after playing with it for a week and finally buying a new screen, i noticed the little blue lever on mine was in the middle of where the white plastic piece was and the new screen had the level completely under it. i guess mine somehow came loose and was in the incorrect position causing the screen to not close properly. this was driving me nuts, thought id share the info with you guys in case the same thing ever happened. here is a pic. notice how the blue lever is completely under the plastic piece, the red shows how mine was. loosen the screw highlighted in green and readjust if this happens to you,

Attached Thumbnails 05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info-321231.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by .cakestar:
AlteredCarbon (05-21-2018), Wrathernaut (10-26-2015), _Ghost_G35 (09-01-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanx for the incite i was considering a tablet but i think i will go with placing a second screen in the navi housing to display what the double din displays below so I dont have to look down to see the navigation

Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by _Ghost_G35
thanx for the incite i was considering a tablet but i think i will go with placing a second screen in the navi housing to display what the double din displays below so I dont have to look down to see the navigation
Do they even make headunits that can mirror the output any more? I remember one or two that did it a decade ago, but nowadays it's more about the headunit mirroring your phone.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Do they even make headunits that can mirror the output any more? I remember one or two that did it a decade ago, but nowadays it's more about the headunit mirroring your phone.
not 100% sure but i think the kenwood has a video output have to look again if it does i would just run it that way if not i will leave the dino navi in and just use it to watch my fuel economy i have a samsung gear 2 watch so it mirrors the navi directions of my phone to it instead of me looking down.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
03 G35x here with factory nav (not working) and a aftermarket Pioneer. I just bought the car. Pressing the pop up button releases the Navi but only moves about an inch or two. Than i need to guide it up to fully expose the screen. Im new to the car so I have no idea what is broken or what was not. The dealer told me the factory navigation will not work without the factory radio and that's why the screen isn't powering on. Is this true or false? If my problem is minor or can be fixed I want to try but have no idea what to look for. I do have about 15 years experience in off and on audio/video I just have no experience with these cars or factory navigation. I've mostly been a modder. Buy it and install it and than I see what I did and know what I didn't do. So this being a used car with mods prior to me owning the vehicle. Im on mobile at work so other than the first page I haven't dived deep into this thread.

Other than getting the factory nav working. I assume since the motor isn't working that the device doesn't send the power to power on the screen correct? I hope it's just an idiot unplugged it while installing the CD and everything will be fine.

If the Navi is in fact dead. I want something that can give me basic car info and or navigation combined. Does this thread have that info or do I need to go to another thread. I will install a Garmin, tablet, whatever I need to get what I want. I want something to power on when the car/radio powers on. So guys. Im a noob to this car fully. I do have 20 yrs working on old Chevy's and the newer model mustangs starting late 90's. Thanks in advance

Point me to the links I need or tell me what I need to do or look at first.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The tracks for the nav screen are probably dirty or the grease is old and sticky - but since the screen isn't turning on, I suppose the "screen is up" switch may have broken, so pieces of that could be jamming things up.

The nav works fine without the radio, you just don't get voice navigation.

The only car info you're going to get is stuff from the ODB2 port, so look into android car diagnostic apps like Torque.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
03 G35x here with factory nav (not working) ...
Point me to the links I need or tell me what I need to do or look at first.
Use Google Maps on a smartphone.
Much better than factory navigation.
A passenger can input any change info while the vehicle is moving which cannot be done with factory nav

Telcoman

Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by telcoman
A passenger can input any change info while the vehicle is moving which cannot be done with factory nav

Telcoman
I don't bother with a passenger. Just "OK GOOGLE", "Get directions to ________". It definitely works better than factory nav.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The tracks for the nav screen are probably dirty or the grease is old and sticky - but since the screen isn't turning on, I suppose the "screen is up" switch may have broken, so pieces of that could be jamming things up.

The nav works fine without the radio, you just don't get voice navigation.

The only car info you're going to get is stuff from the ODB2 port, so look into android car diagnostic apps like Torque.
Originally Posted by telcoman

Telcoman
I don't bother with a passenger. Just "OK GOOGLE", "Get directions to ________". It definitely works better than factory nav.
Thanks for the tips. The obd2 info is what I want on a screen so that's perfect. Can air/fuel, timing be seen with just the obd2 info via Bluetooth, wired however with that "Torque" or will a wideband be needed. Im not 100% looking for a tuner but more of an info type deal with navigation. I will be solo most times so no passenger here.

Is there any companies that make some friendly aftermarket adapters/connectors/harnesses for what Im needing

The tablet and mounting part is easy. It's getting whatever working if I know what to get.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 AM
What tablet or phone have people used to replace the navi screen i am looking to remove my stock screen and replace it

Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Thanks for the tips. The obd2 info is what I want on a screen so that's perfect. Can air/fuel, timing be seen with just the obd2 info via Bluetooth, wired however with that "Torque" or will a wideband be needed. Im not 100% looking for a tuner but more of an info type deal with navigation. I will be solo most times so no passenger here.

Is there any companies that make some friendly aftermarket adapters/connectors/harnesses for what Im needing

The tablet and mounting part is easy. It's getting whatever working if I know what to get.
All you need is to just run USB power through the dash. ODB works over bluetooth, and I think you're fine doing that and bluetooth audio to whatever headunit you're using - so there's no other connection - just power.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello gentlemen,

I'm on the same way Samsung 7" tablet fits perfectly. You just lose access to buttons, including home button on front. But, I've rooted and installed soft navi buttons which works just perfect. Connecting to car through bluetooth to OBDII, GROM audio to car stereo + bluetooth voice access. Internet is USB powered 4G hotspot in the car.
Unfortunately, Samsung does not support USB host, otherwise I would connect SDD as an external drive. But you can use cloud or NAS storage in your car LAN. Also you can connect cameras to you car LAN and utilize same tablet
BTW, I plan to remove original Navi CD reader as well, and will have extra space to use

Problems to be solved:
- permanent power for charging tablet. Since it gets discharged faster then getting charged.
- gets overheat if you leave car under direct summer sun
- battery won't work well if its very cold winter, lower than zero celsius...
- integration with navi screen lifting system
- some buttons like tablet power needs to be wired out

Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Timewind
Hello gentlemen,

I'm on the same way Samsung 7" tablet fits perfectly. You just lose access to buttons, including home button on front. But, I've rooted and installed soft navi buttons which works just perfect. Connecting to car through bluetooth to OBDII, GROM audio to car stereo + bluetooth voice access. Internet is USB powered 4G hotspot in the car.
Unfortunately, Samsung does not support USB host, otherwise I would connect SDD as an external drive. But you can use cloud or NAS storage in your car LAN. Also you can connect cameras to you car LAN and utilize same tablet
BTW, I plan to remove original Navi CD reader as well, and will have extra space to use

Problems to be solved:
- permanent power for charging tablet. Since it gets discharged faster then getting charged.
- gets overheat if you leave car under direct summer sun
- battery won't work well if its very cold winter, lower than zero celsius...
- integration with navi screen lifting system
- some buttons like tablet power needs to be wired out
Which samsung tablet? All the samsung devices I've played with do USB OTG hosting, provided it's not draining too much power. You may have luck with a powered USB hub to run the SSD.

If your tablet supports fast charge, you just need a fast charge adapter, it'll definitely charge while on if it supports that.

For overheating, you could put a 12v PC fan on the back, and if that's not enough, make a port in the climate control ducts pointed in its direction. Under auto, the center vents only blow air when they're blowing A/C anyway, so heating should only be going to the floor and defroster.

Super cold, well, you'll just have to wait for the interior to warm up.

You shouldn't have a problem doing the navig screen lifting - a micro-roller switch placed in the right spot should be an easy way to toggle active when it's up all the way.

The little buttons are just a bunch of delicate soldering.

Good luck and post up some pictures!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info