Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2003 G35 Sedan CD Changer & Navi not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 G35 Sedan CD Changer & Navi not working

Hi there,

I know there are many posts regarding the CD changer and navigation problems. But until now I haven't found any solution! I have been researching since I bought the car (about 50 days ago), with no luck.

So I will start with describing the issues with my units, and also explain the things I have tried to fix it.

CD Changer:
- It shows the famous "CD ERROR F0"
- When I did the diagnosis, on Mode 4 it showed me "MECH FF". I cleared the error history and then it started showing "MECH 01", and now it says "MECH 05". Every other part says "00", which I think means there are no errors in that section.
- I opened up my dashboard and disconnected the whole unit for more than 2 hours. Nothing changed.
- I removed the fuse for the unit for about an hour, nothing has changed either.
- I tried pressing and holing the eject button for more than 5 minutes!! Nothing came out of it.

Navigation:
- The screen does not power on
- I tried ejecting the DVD-ROM (I am not sure if there's anything in it, I'm not the first owner).. Nothing came out.
- Tried pressing ALL the nav-related buttons. Nothing happened.
- I also disconnected the unit for about 2 hours, nothing happened.
- I read on some forums that if you blow dry the unit, it will function again (something has to do with capacitors). It didn't work..

------//-------

I really hope someone has other solutions that might work. I don't want to spend crazy amount of money on a replacement unit or a metra kit.

I was also wondering, did anybody try modifying the OEM screen to display something else on it? Or maybe remove that screen and put a tablet or something else instead?

Looking forward to hear all your thoughts and ideas!

Thanks.

Edit: I own a 2003 G35 Sedan Premium

Last edited by ibby93; 01-21-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added vehicle information
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ibby93
Hi there,

I know there are many posts regarding the CD changer and navigation problems. But until now I haven't found any solution! I have been researching since I bought the car (about 50 days ago), with no luck.

So I will start with describing the issues with my units, and also explain the things I have tried to fix it.

CD Changer:
- It shows the famous "CD ERROR F0"
- When I did the diagnosis, on Mode 4 it showed me "MECH FF". I cleared the error history and then it started showing "MECH 01", and now it says "MECH 05". Every other part says "00", which I think means there are no errors in that section.
- I opened up my dashboard and disconnected the whole unit for more than 2 hours. Nothing changed.
- I removed the fuse for the unit for about an hour, nothing has changed either.
- I tried pressing and holing the eject button for more than 5 minutes!! Nothing came out of it.

Navigation:
- The screen does not power on
- I tried ejecting the DVD-ROM (I am not sure if there's anything in it, I'm not the first owner).. Nothing came out.
- Tried pressing ALL the nav-related buttons. Nothing happened.
- I also disconnected the unit for about 2 hours, nothing happened.
- I read on some forums that if you blow dry the unit, it will function again (something has to do with capacitors). It didn't work..

------//-------

I really hope someone has other solutions that might work. I don't want to spend crazy amount of money on a replacement unit or a metra kit.

I was also wondering, did anybody try modifying the OEM screen to display something else on it? Or maybe remove that screen and put a tablet or something else instead?

Looking forward to hear all your thoughts and ideas!

Thanks.

Edit: I own a 2003 G35 Sedan Premium
Sounds like mechanical failure of the unit. The fixes in this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...epair-diy.html probably won't do much for you in that case.

I'd say start saving for a replacement, unless you're happy with just the radio portion, or pick up one of the AUX input options - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html

The navigation system errors you've got aren't very familiar though, so unless there's a burnt out fuse, I'm not sure what your problem is there. The good news is that I just did replace my nav screen with a wireless charging mount for my smartphone this past weekend, and took some disassembly video too. I have an 05, but enough of the process should transfer over to give you the inspiration you need. The thread is started here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html and I'l be adding information as I get the video edited and posted.

The following users liked this post:
ibby93 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the response

i will check out your thread for sure.

Currently I am using an FM transmitter..