Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

'03 G35 Radio Problem. Speaker Noise Even When RadioTurned Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fullonshred
Well, when I unplugged my amp, ALL the noise went away. But so did my music. So there ya go. I did think about buying a new car, any recent Porsche is gonna be out of my price range though. : )

I kinda want to buy a new car and keep the G35 as my 2nd car though. Right now that 2nd car spot is held by my 20 year old Ford Taurus. Stereo still works fine in that one btw.
Fear not... my 2nd car spot is a 1989 (1990) Mazda Miata MX5. Yes..I've owned this car for 25 years

There has to be a fix here. I owned a 2005 Cadillac CTS same Clarion head unit. This Bose **** is just ****!! These are actually Clarion units. Cadillac replaced the head unit under warranty and it worked great until I traded it for a 2010 Benz Coup. Benz units are Harmon Kardon.

There is a fix...we just haven't found it yet!!!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:41 AM
OK...It's late and I may have had a few to many Heineken's But I just tried contacting Clarion Support. Clarion actually makes our Bose head unit's. Worked out about as well as our systems Called customer support. Of course did not talk to a person. When asked...entered my zip code. It would appear that I am just outside their support zone. Meaning planet earth. I will from now on do everything in my power to destroy the Bose Name. There Is really no Bose of Germany. Just Clarion of China...or possibly Uganda. Get my drift!!! Ever heard the story about the elephant and the ant. I'm the ****ing ant. Beware Clarion/Bose there is power in numbers!! Unit my brothers...we can overcome!!! Damn I live in north Alabama and I'm quoting Dr. Martin Luther King.(which I truly have a hugh amount of respect for) These are dire times!! **** you Bose the ants are a coming.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:17 PM
fullonshred...have you been able to solve this problem? I have a brand new bose amp that I will be installing in the next couple days. Will let you know how I make out. If that doesn't work am considering buying a brand new head unit from Grubbs Infiniti. If that doesn't work I'm considering blowing the hell out of the car with my Colt 45 caliber model 1911.

If you have made any progress...please let me know. Ammunition is so expensive nowadays.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 03-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello BlkCoupe. No progress for me yet. I have been busy with more pressing issues. Please do advise of your progress though, I do want to get this sorted out.

Once I removed the amp and the noise went away the issue became less immediately pressing for me. But I do want to get some music back in the car before too long.

Good luck to you, and please do advise. : )

Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Took my G35 to a buddy today who does body work for a living (manages a shop these days). He figured out the problem is isolated to the driver side rear door speaker. He pulled the door panel, unplugged the speaker and Viola! All other speakers sounded perfect. Perfect!

He just happened to have a spare of my exact speaker pulled from another car. He plugged it in - same scratchy noise. I tried both amps with the "new" speaker, and same garbage sound from it. So then he hooked up my original speaker to another amp.... And it sounded just like it should.

So he is leaning head unit problem or amp problem. I am wondering if maybe the wiring in that door or running to that speaker might have a problem.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Trade her in? : )

I sure don't feel like putting a grand in sound for a 12 year old car. Just "unplug" the offending speaker and "live with" what's left?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I am still trying to get a new amp. Grubbs completely let me down. They are not the Grubbs of the old Phil days. I waited 18 days for the amp to arrive...no amp. Emailed Rich Thompson and suddenly he informed me that I had to pay upfront for him to order the part. To bad he didn't tell me that 18 days ago. Not going to deal with that BS. So now I'm dealing with Riverside Infiniti. Hoping to have better luck. I certainly hope it is the amp since I am spending a lot. I just felt that with a brand new amp it would narrow down the problem. I am getting so sick of driving around with the dash torn apart but just doesn't make sense to me to put everything back together just to have to tear it apart again. It of course drives fine just looks like hell.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 04-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I was hoping it was my amp too, but with 2 of them doing the exact same thing I think it may be less likely the amp than some other problem.

Getting the amp from Infiniti I fear to guess what they are charging you.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Update...!!! I just plugged in a brand new $700.00 factory amp and it made no difference. I'm going to reinstall my old head unit (cd not working) but if it works then I will know that it is in fact the remanufactured head unit from of course CHINA.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm bringing this back in the hope that someone can give me an opinion on what to do next. As you can see in my post above unless there are problems with brand new from the factory amps. The amp cannot be my problem. What are the chances that this static issue with the radio off could be related to the ebay head unit I bought. If it is some kind of a problem with the wiring somewhere in the car where and what could have changed after the install of the remanu head unit. I did try to install a PA15-NIS when I installed the new head unit. But removed it after having the static problem.
My car is an early 2003 not wired for SAT. During the PA-NIS install I did not realize that there would be an empty connector on the PAS connector harness. So being a creative kind of guy I modified the sat connector on the PAS harness and connected it to what would be the regular radio connector. After making the connection I booted the system. I had the the radio connector of the factory radio harness connected to the SAT connector of the PAS harness. Could I have damaged anything in the head unit. I'm at a complete loss.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I'm bringing this back in the hope that someone can give me an opinion on what to do next. As you can see in my post above unless there are problems with brand new from the factory amps. The amp cannot be my problem. What are the chances that this static issue with the radio off could be related to the ebay head unit I bought. If it is some kind of a problem with the wiring somewhere in the car where and what could have changed after the install of the remanu head unit. I did try to install a PA15-NIS when I installed the new head unit. But removed it after having the static problem.
My car is an early 2003 not wired for SAT. During the PA-NIS install I did not realize that there would be an empty connector on the PAS connector harness. So being a creative kind of guy I modified the sat connector on the PAS harness and connected it to what would be the regular radio connector. After making the connection I booted the system. I had the the radio connector of the factory radio harness connected to the SAT connector of the PAS harness. Could I have damaged anything in the head unit. I'm at a complete loss.
Could be the headunit, but you've got so many variables going on right now it's hard to say.

You may be able to connect a small speaker or headphones to the noisy speaker's audio input going to the new amplifier and see if you can hear the noise there, swap rear speakers to see if that's the issue too.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 PM
OK - Called shop that handles repairs to these systems. Described symptoms. He stated most likely a grounding problem between the rear door driver side speaker and the amp. I think others either here or elsewhere may have mentioned that possibility. Those of you who did were/are correct. Pal who is better at this stuff than me ran a temporary bypass wire from the amp to the rear driver side speaker. All static/noise/audio problems cleared up. All speakers incl. rear door driver side played the radio properly.

Unfortunately, I then tried to load a CD into the changer, and the disc went in, but then refused to either load properly, or eject, giving me the "cd error F0". Now even with the switch completely off and the key out of the ignition the head unit continually keeps trying to eject the CD. I have disconnected the battery from the neg. terminal once already for about an hour, to no avail. I left it disconnected overnight and will hook it up again shortly.

If that CD will just "eject", I swear I will never put another one in there and won't give a damn. I just want to be able to hook the battery back up, get rid of the "constant eject" problem, and be able to drive my car without other issues.

At this point I hate bose/clarion and Infiniti. : )

Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, pulling the kick panel "Radio" fuse did not turn off the head unit or stop the "constant eject" problem.

Is there any easy way to just disable the entire audio unit without losing HVAC Controls?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, pulling the kick panel "Radio" fuse did not turn off the head unit or stop the "constant eject" problem.

Is there any easy way to just disable the entire audio unit without losing HVAC Controls?
Try pulling the headunit and doing the procedure to remove stuck CDs:
https://g35driver.com/forums/6546535-post1049.html

JDM a/c controls in place of the entire electronics board will do it.

The following users liked this post:
fullonshred (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I thank you for your reply. I had already seen the video at the link you provided.

I am certain that "easy" is a relative term. I may try to pull the head unit tomorrow if weather permits, but I get nervous as heck messing around with cars. I can rebuild a computer, no problem, but I don't have to drive a computer to the grocery store and I have several more anyway if I do screw it up.

At this point if I can get the head unit out, and the cd out ot it, and everything put back together and the car runs/works as it should?

Forget CD players, I will learn how to sing.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I thank you for your reply. I had already seen the video at the link you provided.

I am certain that "easy" is a relative term. I may try to pull the head unit tomorrow if weather permits, but I get nervous as heck messing around with cars. I can rebuild a computer, no problem, but I don't have to drive a computer to the grocery store and I have several more anyway if I do screw it up.

At this point if I can get the head unit out, and the cd out ot it, and everything put back together and the car runs/works as it should?

Forget CD players, I will learn how to sing.
Well, the a/c will be b0rked without the radio, but the car will still get you to and from the grocery store.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '03 G35 Radio Problem. Speaker Noise Even When RadioTurned Off