Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 G35 Radio Problem. Speaker Noise Even When RadioTurned Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Well, the a/c will be b0rked without the radio, but the car will still get you to and from the grocery store.
I don't understand, Wrathernaut. The AC works right now. If I remove the head unit, remove the stuck cd to end the "perpetual eject" cycle, and put the head unit back in, why would the AC not work? Is there more I need to know? Please let me know, all help is appreciated. I am ignorant about this stuff.

I said "I will learn to sing" it was merely meaning I will never put in/play another CD in that unit again if I can get the "perpetual eject" cycle to stop and the car to work.

I will give up cd's if I can use my car normally with air/heat etc.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:25 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by fullonshred
I don't understand, Wrathernaut. The AC works right now. If I remove the head unit, remove the stuck cd to end the "perpetual eject" cycle, and put the head unit back in, why would the AC not work? Is there more I need to know? Please let me know, all help is appreciated. I am ignorant about this stuff.

I said "I will learn to sing" it was merely meaning I will never put in/play another CD in that unit again if I can get the "perpetual eject" cycle to stop and the car to work.

I will give up cd's if I can use my car normally with air/heat etc.

Thanks for any help.
I mean without the headunit at all, the climate controls won't work.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the clarification. That makes total sense.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Guy Mike D. on another forum sent me a PM with info on the fuse box under the hood. I pulled fuse #37 and it killed the entire head unit, HVAC, Nav and Alarm. So I put the fuse back in, set AC to 68 and pulled the fuse again. Now I can deal with this until I get it fixed.

Pal of mine offered free install and had me talked into aftermarket head unit until I noticed disclaimer with the dash Kit. Siad you have to remove the factory Nav screen, replace it with a tray available from "your dealership" and just lose the factory Nav functionality completely.

So I can get a double din radio with Nav built in, but that will run double to triple what I had planned to spend for the radio part of this replacement. Mike, your idea about trying to clip the CD player wires sounds decent, though I did find a video showing how to remove stuck CDs after you get the head unit out. IF that would stop the constant eject problem then I would still have Radio and (don't laugh) Cassette usable along with original Nav.

I got some thinking to do here. Even with the cost of a Nav double din unit I am looking at 1.5. to 2 "new car" payments, so it doesn't hurt so bad when you look at it like that. But definitely some decisions to make.

This hodgepodge amalgamation of too many electronics running off one board/circuit is beginning to get old. Not sure yet what I am gonna do. Wish like heck I had traded it in 6 months ago when I was looking at new cars! ; )

Old 07-05-2014, 01:25 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Guy Mike D. on another forum sent me a PM with info on the fuse box under the hood. I pulled fuse #37 and it killed the entire head unit, HVAC, Nav and Alarm. So I put the fuse back in, set AC to 68 and pulled the fuse again. Now I can deal with this until I get it fixed.

Pal of mine offered free install and had me talked into aftermarket head unit until I noticed disclaimer with the dash Kit. Siad you have to remove the factory Nav screen, replace it with a tray available from "your dealership" and just lose the factory Nav functionality completely.

So I can get a double din radio with Nav built in, but that will run double to triple what I had planned to spend for the radio part of this replacement. Mike, your idea about trying to clip the CD player wires sounds decent, though I did find a video showing how to remove stuck CDs after you get the head unit out. IF that would stop the constant eject problem then I would still have Radio and (don't laugh) Cassette usable along with original Nav.

I got some thinking to do here. Even with the cost of a Nav double din unit I am looking at 1.5. to 2 "new car" payments, so it doesn't hurt so bad when you look at it like that. But definitely some decisions to make.

This hodgepodge amalgamation of too many electronics running off one board/circuit is beginning to get old. Not sure yet what I am gonna do. Wish like heck I had traded it in 6 months ago when I was looking at new cars! ; )
No, you don't have to remove factory nav. You lose navigation voice, you don't lose navigation.
Here's the post from the install FAQ: https://g35driver.com/forums/6546531-post1045.html

Get a new, non-nav headunit and put that in, or after removing the stuck CDs to keep it from cycling, just put in an AUX adapter connected to the factory radio: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html

The following users liked this post:
saispuro (10-08-2020)
Old 07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Wrathernaut, I greatly appreciate all this help. I have read the link you sent me but am still a little confused.

Ok, 2003 G35 Sedan with Bose and Nav.

if I get the black JDM Trim kit from Grubbs I can keep the Nav minus the voice?

Do I need another trim part to make the fit look right with a single din aftermarket head unit installed with the JDM Dash kit?

How about with a double din aftermarket head unit and the JDM Dash kit?

Right now in my cart at Crutchfield I have a Jensen double din with Nav that will give me

1- New Nav with bigger screen, New Maps (my Factory Map DVD is from 2003)

2-CD, DVD and USB for music

3-Comes factory ready (no adapter needed) to work with G35 Steering Wheel Controls (per Mike at Crutchfield) saves me cost of that adapter.

4-All other adapters needed. Without Crutchfield Dash kit this comes to $365. With the Metra 99-7604 Dash Kit I am at $499.99. (Metra is $135 at Crutchfield)

If I drop the Metra kit and add the higher cost of the JDM kit (and trim?), it may still be do-able. I sent an email to Rich at Grubbs inquiring about costs for JDMM kit and th trim (if needed)

I have free install from a buddy who used to do this for a living for a while.

Your thoughts, ideas, and answers to the above questions would be most helpful and appreciated, Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Wrathernaut, I greatly appreciate all this help. I have read the link you sent me but am still a little confused.

Ok, 2003 G35 Sedan with Bose and Nav.

if I get the black JDM Trim kit from Grubbs I can keep the Nav minus the voice?

Do I need another trim part to make the fit look right with a single din aftermarket head unit installed with the JDM Dash kit?

How about with a double din aftermarket head unit and the JDM Dash kit?

Right now in my cart at Crutchfield I have a Jensen double din with Nav that will give me

1- New Nav with bigger screen, New Maps (my Factory Map DVD is from 2003)

2-CD, DVD and USB for music

3-Comes factory ready (no adapter needed) to work with G35 Steering Wheel Controls (per Mike at Crutchfield) saves me cost of that adapter.

4-All other adapters needed. Without Crutchfield Dash kit this comes to $365. With the Metra 99-7604 Dash Kit I am at $499.99. (Metra is $135 at Crutchfield)

If I drop the Metra kit and add the higher cost of the JDM kit (and trim?), it may still be do-able. I sent an email to Rich at Grubbs inquiring about costs for JDMM kit and th trim (if needed)

I have free install from a buddy who used to do this for a living for a while.

Your thoughts, ideas, and answers to the above questions would be most helpful and appreciated, Thanks again.
All of these answers are in the DDin FAQ post, but:
Yes. You keep nav minus voice.
You need some sort of pocket to fill all the space if you do a single in.
You need a double din trim ring for some radios to fill space around the radio w/JDM.

What radio? I've only seen a few that connect directly to the steering wheel wires.

Make sure your buddy uses the wiring chart from the DDin install/faq post, otherwise you're going to run into some of the common problems that come from doing things that under other circumstances would be "the right way".

fullonshred (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 03:30 AM
Thank you again. Here is a link to the Double Din Jensen with Nav.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4h0d9iI...en-VX7020.html

Specs in radio as follows......

"Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The Jensen VX7020 offers built-in steering wheel remote compatibility for non-CAN Bus vehicles (the three SWC wires of the harness will need to be hardwired to vehicle's wiring). You can configure the steering wheel remote commands from the unit's touchscreen. The head unit's OEM steering wheel remote control input is also compatible with optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately) for CAN Buss vehicles. Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible."

Called Crutchfield, and customer rep. Mike claims it needs no Steering Wheel Control harness for 2003 G35 Sedan. I have no clue if HE has a clue.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thank you again. Here is a link to the Double Din Jensen with Nav.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4h0d9iI...en-VX7020.html

Specs in radio as follows......

"Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The Jensen VX7020 offers built-in steering wheel remote compatibility for non-CAN Bus vehicles (the three SWC wires of the harness will need to be hardwired to vehicle's wiring). You can configure the steering wheel remote commands from the unit's touchscreen. The head unit's OEM steering wheel remote control input is also compatible with optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately) for CAN Buss vehicles. Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible."

Called Crutchfield, and customer rep. Mike claims it needs no Steering Wheel Control harness for 2003 G35 Sedan. I have no clue if HE has a clue.
Looks like you should be good to go, just wire up to the M39 harness wires:

fullonshred (07-07-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Update 8-28-14

HUGE THANKS to Wrathernaut!!

Hopefully (hopefully) at the end of this mess. I finally did what was suggested by some and what I should have done from the start - took it to a local shop with a good reputation. Lesson learned.

My buddy tried hard and I helped as I could. I appreciate my wonderful friend's efforts immensely! He is an absolute Trooper. But we were both burned out after a day and a half in the heat and humidity and we buttoned her up drivable without getting the DVD Park Brake wire connected and without the Nav Antenna and Bluetooth Microphone installed. He did get the "Keep Factory Navigation With Aftermarket Double Din Head Unit" mod done for me. This took way too much time and trouble and really bogged down everything else. I should have just bought the "Coin Pocket" and skipped the "Keep Factory Nav" mod. I think we would have done ok if I had done that.

Took the car to the local shop with the Jensen VX7020 in the dash, and only the front speakers and the passenger rear speaker working, No sub. No Nav. No Bluetooth, No DVD , and the Jensen remote not functioning. Steering wheel controls were wonky as well.

Picked up my car today with everything working as it should! The installer says the rear Driver's side door wiring/speaker was fine, my Bose Amp(s) were fine, the sub was fine. He said my buddy had actually tapped into the Passenger side rear speaker output at the Bose amp when he ran his wiring bypass test and that is why all sounded fine when he hooked the rear Driver side speaker to the "bypass" wire. In other words, the installer feels strongly that it HAD to be a bad rear driver side channel in the factory head unit. Installer had to wire some resistors into the Jensen steering wheel control wiring, but he got them all working. Sub was out because when I was pulling fuses to try to "kill" the factory head unit back when it was stuck in the "constant CD eject cycle" I must have put the Sub fuse back in one spot off. That is what the installer found to fix it, anyway.

I appreciate all who chimed in her to help, THANK YOU to each and every one of you!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Glad it all came out ok in the end, and good thing some installers still have skills beyond how to sell new parts.

fullonshred (08-30-2014)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My Red G35 Coupe
I have the same issue on my 2003 G35 Coupe! But I noticed that when I make a sudden stop it kind of goes away.