Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True remote turn on signal with stock bose HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True remote turn on signal with stock bose HU?

I have looked around lately and didn't find an answer to this. I thought I looked into this when I did my audio install also, but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there a true remote turn on signal on the stock bose HU or anywhere else that only activates when the radio is on for first gen sedans? The amp on signal from the HU to the bose amp are both signals that turn on when the car is in ACC or ON. It has nothing to do with if the radio itself is on or not. Based on the FSM, it says that the antenna amplifier turns on with just the radio, but I've found it was just the same as the other amp turn on signal. It turns on with ACC and ON, but it doesn't matter if the radio itself is on or off.

The problem I have is that both my amps start sucking power (and if I left my lights on auto, the lights) when I remote start the car. Leaving the car in this state for 5 seconds constantly in subzero outdoor temperatures is killing my battery. I am on my second diehard platinum in 4 years and that one is starting to die now also.

You can see my setup in my signature if that matters.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
I have looked around lately and didn't find an answer to this. I thought I looked into this when I did my audio install also, but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there a true remote turn on signal on the stock bose HU or anywhere else that only activates when the radio is on for first gen sedans? The amp on signal from the HU to the bose amp are both signals that turn on when the car is in ACC or ON. It has nothing to do with if the radio itself is on or not. Based on the FSM, it says that the antenna amplifier turns on with just the radio, but I've found it was just the same as the other amp turn on signal. It turns on with ACC and ON, but it doesn't matter if the radio itself is on or off.

The problem I have is that both my amps start sucking power (and if I left my lights on auto, the lights) when I remote start the car. Leaving the car in this state for 5 seconds constantly in subzero outdoor temperatures is killing my battery. I am on my second diehard platinum in 4 years and that one is starting to die now also.

You can see my setup in my signature if that matters.
Nope. The amp on signal is essentially just the ACC wire.

You might have some luck with signal-sensing power-on if the amps support it.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Nope. The amp on signal is essentially just the ACC wire.

You might have some luck with signal-sensing power-on if the amps support it.
Dang. I don't really want to switch out my Zapco amps for something different just for the amp turn on. If I got ambitious I could build my own turn on circuit, but that seems like more work than it is worth. Could probably do it with a couple components, but I don't really want to breadboard a circuit just for this right now. Maybe if I get ambitious later, there are a couple ways to do it.... comparator with massive hysteresis, or an SCR, or some other circuit.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
How about just doing a manual switch? The ash tray is a good location for such things.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
How about just doing a manual switch? The ash tray is a good location for such things.
I was wondering about this. Is there a large hole in the bottom of it?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 AM
I know the manual switch is always an option, I just had hoped to do something in the trunk area without having to open up the dash again (or having to turn the radio on in two places). I appreciate the responses