Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Override NAV safety?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005 | 04:26 PM
Banned
Its not even close to the same thing. Aftermarket systems 'look' for the parking brake to be engaged. This signal can be 'created' very easily (and for a LOT less then $100). Aftermarket systems are designed to be bypassed. OEM stuff is not. THe Infiniti system looks at the actual vehicle speed and if the speed is moving then it won't let you input an address. The only way around this is to take away the speed input (with the switch). The only other alternative is to rip open your Navi box and try to hack the firmware in it. This would take a very dedicated person quite a while to figure out! Oh, and while they were 'hacking' they could get rid of that 'OK' screen too.

I'm surprised that no one has PM'd me about trying out the Nav OK bypass module.... Someone else out there has to be as dumb as me! And, for what its worth, back in the 'day' when we were discussing releasing the Nav Bypass module our projected MSRP was roughly half ($32.99) of what the site above is charging for basically the exact same thing.

Old 02-15-2005 | 07:07 PM
I've been wanting to been wondering this too

Old 02-16-2005 | 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by KPierson
Its not even close to the same thing. Aftermarket systems 'look' for the parking brake to be engaged. This signal can be 'created' very easily (and for a LOT less then $100). Aftermarket systems are designed to be bypassed. OEM stuff is not. THe Infiniti system looks at the actual vehicle speed and if the speed is moving then it won't let you input an address. The only way around this is to take away the speed input (with the switch). The only other alternative is to rip open your Navi box and try to hack the firmware in it. This would take a very dedicated person quite a while to figure out! Oh, and while they were 'hacking' they could get rid of that 'OK' screen too.

I'm surprised that no one has PM'd me about trying out the Nav OK bypass module.... Someone else out there has to be as dumb as me! And, for what its worth, back in the 'day' when we were discussing releasing the Nav Bypass module our projected MSRP was roughly half ($32.99) of what the site above is charging for basically the exact same thing.
on your website, it doesn't display the nav bypass product... is it out?

Old 02-16-2005 | 05:43 AM
Banned
Yeah, its not on the site. I made the decision not to advertise it because the installation for most poeple will outweigh the benefits. Removing the radio is a big chore, and then takin the Navi apart isn't exactly fun either.

I talked to my brother last night about it and we are going to make a very detailed installation manual this weekend and the have the Nav bypass (for G35 only) on our site with a new 'rating system' for installation difficulty. But, like I said above if you want info on the module I use PM/Email me for details!

Old 03-28-2005 | 01:40 PM
generatorlabs.com

Does anyone here have a nonag from GeneratorLabs?

Their site says:

2) Will the NoNag work in any car?

NoNag devices are currently installed in Murano's and Infinit FX's. I have not performed any installation in a G35 yet but I am working on it. If there is anyone out there who wants to be a candidate for testing in the NYC area please let me know.

Old 03-28-2005 | 02:13 PM
Banned
I haven't read about anyone having one installed yet. Ours will be on our website in the next few weeks, with detailed installation instructions, and $20 cheaper then the NoNag unit (ours sells for $39.99 NoNag was $59.99 last I checked).

Just remember, installation on the G35 is a TOTAL pain in the butt, and it hardly worth it.

Old 04-01-2005 | 01:40 AM
Im my last contact with generator, he said that he had to take input from the screen position since our nav doesnt turn on if the screen is down or something.

That was a while ago and I haven't heard from him since.

~randy

Old 04-01-2005 | 07:49 AM
Banned
That is true...

But, I NEVER put my screen down. If my screen is down then the 'OK' pulse is ignored. I couldn't find the switch that turned the screen on when it popped up, but I didn't look for too long. I figured that if I'm going to reach over and push the button to pop it up then I can just keep my hand there and hit the 'ok' button manually under those circumstances.

Old 04-04-2005 | 08:29 PM
what will that switch mess with? just the ave speed for ur trip or what? ne details on that would help a ton...

Old 04-05-2005 | 06:57 AM
Banned
The signal will mess with your maintenence records (oil changes, etc - the NAVI has reminders built in), it will mess with average speed, it will mess with MPG calculations, and it will mess with location. The location will be fixed as soon as you flip the switch back to the 'normal' position.