Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Problem with DW Screen..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with DW Screen..HELP!!

Anyone that has installed the DW screens....I need help....The screen comes up white only. I had a shop put it in for me today and it didnt work. No menu pops up...nothing. I had them put in the AVIC-90DVD and it worked fine when they hooked it up to one of their own screens but with the DW screen...nothing....just bright white. So Im left with the uncomfortable decision of what to do next. Obviously they gotta take it out so I can get another and have them put it in...OR...Could this be anything simple??? Anyone?? What sucks is I still have to pay for install.... UUGGHH.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think a blank screen ment that that little white ribbon cable from the screen to the board is not set properly in it's place. I had the same issue and I eventually corrected it by correctly and fully putting in the cable into it's slot. Give that a try first ...if not email or pm DW.....they responded to me in under 30 minutes when I emailed them myself.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Sound Advice
Email Chuck, he will take care of you.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by gizsf
I think a blank screen ment that that little white <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ribbon%20cable" onmouseover="window.status='ribbon cable'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ribbon cable</a> from the screen to the board is not set properly in it's place. I had the same issue and I eventually corrected it by correctly and fully putting in the cable into it's slot. Give that a try first ...if not email or pm DW.....they responded to me in under 30 minutes when I emailed them myself.
Just spoke with the shop and they said they tried the ribbon thing....Wasn't it. Thanks anyway

Old 03-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Maybe the screen somehow defaulted itself to 100 contrast/brightness to a white picture. Fiddle around with the remote, you might get something... Hit menu, then hold the minus button. Then go down, and hold down the minus button again.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the screen is all white it is probably still the ribbon cable. The ribbon cable can look and feel securly attached and still not work if it has loosened.

The way to fix this is to completely remove and reinsert the ribbon cable from the circuit board. To do this loosen the brown clip holding the ribbon cable in place. DO NOT REMOVE THE BROWN CLIP ENTIRELY, it should be pulled directly out in the opposite direction the ribbon cable is inserted in by about 2 mm. Be very careful when doing this because if you pull out the clip too much it will break. After the clip is loosened, you can take the ribbon cable out then put it back into place and secure the clip. Before reinserting the ribbon cable, inspect the tin ends of it to make sure they are not damaged and will make a good contact. If they are damaged, let me know and I will get you a new cable.

This is probably the most common problem I encounter as the screen is prone to be overextended during the install, but is almost always fixable by the above procedure. If you still have problems though call or e-mail me.

The install instructions explicitly list to test the screen during the installation. If your having this problem, it either means your shop didn't follow instructions by testing the screen prior to installing it or didn't follow the instructions to not over extend the screen and broke it during the install. In either case, the shop shouldn't hold you responsible for this problem.

Last edited by god_of_cpu; 03-24-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the ribbon cable......reconnected it *carefully* and it worked fine....

doc

Old 03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Its the ribbon cable

Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ther ribbon cable is a b!tch to reconnect properly when the screen is installed (this is the one time having small hands is acceptable) .... and .....it also has to be facing the proper way up when you insert it into the brown clip and locked in. I would look for you and tell ya...but my girlfriend just left with the G. Hopefully someone else can tell you for now or I can later today.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:34 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the ribbon cable is inserted properly, you will be able to see the clear blue plastic covering. In other words, the tin side faces down.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
i lost my original ribbon clip and had to order another one. i got it in the other day and reinstalled my screen. when i put the ribbon in the clip this time, i super glued it so it won't back out anymore. hopefully anyway.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:28 PM
A much better way!

www.nairod.com/g35mods

Old 03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
You guys have no Idea how angry I am with this install shop...what a bunch losers. Anyway...Its now 4 days later and since They couldnt get my s**t to work Im now driving around with a 1/2 installed nav system... Not only that you know that plastic piece in front of you temperature readouts above the clock....they cracked it...Well that said they will order a new one and relace it but what am I supposed to do now. The sreen is not working...I am a moron when it comes to this crap...they told me that the ribbon cable was separated from the circuitboard and thats why it didnt work...so they said the whole screen is busted. What do I do now?? HELP!!

Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 PM
See if the ribbon cable is attached to the board or not first of all. You can do this pretty easily by looking behind the screen. That would be a start.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Its not attatched...now what?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with DW Screen..HELP!!