Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2013 G37 Journey Double Din Install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G37 Journey Double Din Install?

I just bought a 2013 G37 Journey, with no nav and a Bose stereo system. I want to buy a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX for the carplay functionality. Can you please help me understand what I need, other than the AVH-4000NEX? So sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but from a newbie looking in, all the IP is pretty daunting when trying to piece together from all the threads.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by seu0301
I just bought a 2013 G37 Journey, with no nav and a Bose stereo system. I want to buy a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX for the carplay functionality. Can you please help me understand what I need, other than the AVH-4000NEX? So sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but from a newbie looking in, all the IP is pretty daunting when trying to piece together from all the threads.
You'll want to go to myg37.com for more in-depth information, but as far as I know, there's still no JDM or aftermarket climate control replacement.

That doesn't really rule out adding an aftermarket radio to the stock audio system, however. All you need to do is add the radio wherever it will fit and then run its audio outputs to the audio signal wires that came from the factory radio. Give it power and you're pretty much done, as far as basic wiring goes. I haven't looked into it, but I assume that (once you identify the wires) the steering wheel controls would work with a metra axxess aswc-1.

The tough part is, of course, mounting the radio. I think your best bet would be to relocate the factory climate control board to under the center armrest, and cut a DDin opening to the clock/climate controls and mount the radio there. I don't know how feasible that is, not having torn apart a G37, but if you extend the wires for whatever's behind there and relocate it, the space looks adequate.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You'll want to go to myg37.com for more in-depth information, but as far as I know, there's still no JDM or aftermarket climate control replacement.

That doesn't really rule out adding an aftermarket radio to the stock audio system, however. All you need to do is add the radio wherever it will fit and then run its audio outputs to the audio signal wires that came from the factory radio. Give it power and you're pretty much done, as far as basic wiring goes. I haven't looked into it, but I assume that (once you identify the wires) the steering wheel controls would work with a metra axxess aswc-1.

The tough part is, of course, mounting the radio. I think your best bet would be to relocate the factory climate control board to under the center armrest, and cut a DDin opening to the clock/climate controls and mount the radio there. I don't know how feasible that is, not having torn apart a G37, but if you extend the wires for whatever's behind there and relocate it, the space looks adequate.
Ah, I see. Was worried you'd say that. What if I just replaced the OEM screen?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Sorry, to clarify a bit more, if I were to take out the OEM non-touch radio (no nav) and replace with a 7" Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (carplay). Would I even need to mess with the climate controls below? If not, would the stock cd still work, even though the pioneer has one? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm just learning about all this. I'm technical, but not experienced at all in vehicle entertainment systems.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Sorry, to clarify a bit more, if I were to take out the OEM non-touch radio (no nav) and replace with a 7" Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (carplay). Would I even need to mess with the climate controls below? If not, would the stock cd still work, even though the pioneer has one? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm just learning about all this. I'm technical, but not experienced at all in vehicle entertainment systems.
Well, people on the myg35.com forums have succeeded in putting the factory screen feed onto another screen - so if you can get the Pioneer display into the factory location via extended wires, and put the factory video feed onto the Pioneer's AUX video input, that would probably be an acceptable compromise.

The stock CD wouldn't work, since you'd be bypassing all audio output from the factory radio. Since you're hiding the Pioneer somewhere and just extending the wires, you wouldn't really have CD from the Pioneer either, but that's what USB and bluetooth streaming are for.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Well, people on the myg35.com forums have succeeded in putting the factory screen feed onto another screen - so if you can get the Pioneer display into the factory location via extended wires, and put the factory video feed onto the Pioneer's AUX video input, that would probably be an acceptable compromise.

The stock CD wouldn't work, since you'd be bypassing all audio output from the factory radio. Since you're hiding the Pioneer somewhere and just extending the wires, you wouldn't really have CD from the Pioneer either, but that's what USB and bluetooth streaming are for.
Thanks. Great suggestion on using AUX..I'm going to get my hands dirty and see how much I can screw up. The pioneer is same size screen as the factory OEM and the dvd/cd is behind the screen (motorized screen). My head starts twitching and jerking at the thought of having a non-functional stock CD slot, so I'm going to do some digging on maybe doing a switch of some sort. I'll move over to the G37 forum and post progress there (if I have any ). Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Great suggestion on using AUX..I'm going to get my hands dirty and see how much I can screw up. The pioneer is same size screen as the factory OEM and the dvd/cd is behind the screen (motorized screen). My head starts twitching and jerking at the thought of having a non-functional stock CD slot, so I'm going to do some digging on maybe doing a switch of some sort. I'll move over to the G37 forum and post progress there (if I have any ). Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it.
i just came across your post 4 years later. How’d this turn out for you?