Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AUDIOPHILES: newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound system

This is the first time getting a sound system in my car and I just wanted some of the expert advices. so far this is what i am gonna get for my 05 6mt.
MB Quart QSD216
JL w7 either 12 or 10 give me suggestions.(want a nice crisp sound not too loud)
Pheonix Gold 1200.1 amp
Pheonix Gold 200.4 amp
what more do i need for everything to be installed ?

I want to keep my oem HU, but some of my friends tell me to get an aftermarket HU. what are the cons and benefits of doing that?
what do i need if i want to keep the oem HU? is there a big difference in output quality of sound from oem and aftermarket ? prices ? thnks

Last edited by SKY6mT; 02-16-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Are you going to do the install yourself or have a pro do it for you?

Old 02-17-2005, 01:55 AM
I dunno depends on the HU... Whats the difference between an aftermarket HU and keeping the oem hu with LOC and EQ? if there isnt a difference.. meaning if the quality is the same either way i would do it myself. but, i guess i would get a pro if i have to get a DD and new HU

Old 02-17-2005, 01:56 AM
what do you guys think I should get single 10w7 or 12w7?

Old 02-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by SKY6mT
JL w7 either 12 or 10 give me suggestions.(want a nice crisp sound not too loud)
If you dont want too lound then the w7 is prob way overkill. w6v2 and w3v2 might be a better option, and even save ya some cash

Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
The 12w6v2 is what I have. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's an awesome speaker and the best buy for your buck. If you're determined to go with the W7 (also a great speaker), I'd go with the 10. These little speakers POUND out some serious 12'' bass, but have the tight response of a top of the line 10''. I would NOT keep the stock HU. You CAN set it up that way, but if you have a good ear, you will be severly disappointed with the overal sound quality and built in signal processing. The stock HU also has problems delivering a clean sub bass signal at higher volume levels, so this is NOT an option for me. I'm running Arc audio 4150 XXK 4 chan to my Focal k2p 165 fronts and Focal polyglass 690cv rears. My w6v2 is pushed by an Arc audio 1500 xxk. This system is run off the stock HU. Although some less enthusiastic audiophiles will be fine with the sound quality for $$ saving, it's severly disappointing to me... even with the nice equipment I've installed. I will have my new after market HU installed in the next week or so.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Give the new JL audio Clean Sweep a try, there are a lot of threads on the unit if you look though the past month of threads. One thing I will recommend is that you better get a lot of power to the MB Quarts or they won't sound that good. I'm guessin you're getting the Xenon series of amps from PG. Not sure how good they are so can't comment.

What I don't get is why so many people buy these high end high dollar speakers yet they don't have a good source or good amplification. High dollar speakers are very revealing and will show all the flaws of the source and the amplification.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:00 PM
thanks guys. I am getting the xenon series to power the subs and the components. 200.4 i think will give the mb quarts plenty of power since they rate 90-170. and the amp is 200 to each of the four channels. so to get an aftermarket HU i have to get the DD huh ? how much does that cost? any aftermarket HU recommendations ? I like the conservative look on the dash.. wanted to get a touch screen HU that will fill up the DD.. any good ones that exist out there without the navi. cuz i have the oem navi. that was another question. if i get an aftermarket HU will that mess with the oem navi ?

Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
is it hard to do change to DD? should i get a pro to do it? or can a novice do the job ? for the entire instillation ?

Old 02-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Doing the DD is going to run you about $300-$400 dollars. A good double din screen unit would be one from Eclipse can't remember the model number. If you don't want to replace the stock HU then look into the JL Audio Clean Sweep, supposed to reshape and cleaning the signal coming from the stock HU to the amps. Another suggestion I would make is look into the new MB Quart amplifiers, for the price of both the PG amps you can get a single 4 channel MB Quart amp to run your whole system. Not sure that the new Xenon amps are as good as the old Titanium amps.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about kenwood ddx7015. can you have stock navi and a DD kenwood HU? installing this hard ?

Old 02-18-2005, 05:44 AM
The install might be complicated if you aren't familiar with this car or with doing installs in general. Yes, you can use a new head unit and still have the stock navi work. I have done that in my car. Check my website for pics.

I'm curious as to why you chose the Phoenix Gold amps. Personally, i feel that there are better amps for the money such as TRU, Zapco, Sinfoni (possible, but pricey).

As far as changing out the stock head unit, that is solely up to your ears. You may think that the sound is amazing without changing out the HU, so i would say dont' worry about it for now. Will your system sound a lot better with an aftermarket hu? Definitely, but you may be happy enough without a new hu. Just depends on the type of sound you want to hear and what your wallet will allow.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
for 05 coupes all you need is the dash and the ac controller right ? not the bracket ?

Old 02-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SKY6mT
for 05 coupes all you need is the dash and the ac controller right ? not the bracket ?

thats' right.....

doc

Old 02-18-2005, 04:31 PM
will the stock Navi work if i put in the kenwood ddx7015 ? like the fade in and outs ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AUDIOPHILES: newbie needs help