Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Feeler: Anyone interested in LCD installation and/or carputer installation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feeler: Anyone interested in LCD installation and/or carputer installation?

Ive made this thread to judge the amount of interest there would be in the below services

Ive been speaking with god_of_cpu (owner of www.digitalwheelz.com) and we have been discussing the possibility that we form a joint venture wherein I would assemble the LCDs and housings and also install them for the Southern California market.
Additionally, I would offer the service of building and setting up in car computer systems to use in conjunction with the DigitalWheelz LCD housing or any other LCD. This would include purchasing the required parts, assembling the parts, installing all necessary software and installing the system into the car. For the carputer system, I would be offering either a standard computer case to be housed in the trunk or a custom designed fiberglass enclosure that would display the motherboard similar to a subwoofer box. This would be the cleanest installation and what I have in my own car (pictures to come later)

This would be an offer for the Southern California market

Any interest?

Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
What about Mac Mini compatibility? Can I plug one of those into your screen? And does digitalwheelz have any ideas to make the mini into a more car-minded computer? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Ya Im Interested But I Have Two 15" Subs In Back....no Rom- Also Too Much Vibration....got A Solution For Me?

Old 02-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested too. Got a W7 in trunk. I want carputer and screen.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by ChristPuncher
What about Mac Mini compatibility? Can I plug one of those into your screen? And does digitalwheelz have any ideas to make the mini into a more car-minded computer? Thanks.
Any VGA or composite video output can work with the LCD
However, I deal with only the Windows environment so I would not be able to configure an OS X system. The Mac mini is not the ideal solution for the in car environment. For the average installation where the user would like navigation, MP3 playback and DVD/video playback I would choose the VIA Epia M10000 or other VIA Mini-ITX. These embedded motherboards are incredibly small and consume very little power so they are ideal. I run an M10000 myself. For users requiring advanced gaming in their car, a more extensively featured solution would be required
Originally Posted by HOO-MAN?
Ya Im Interested But I Have Two 15" Subs In Back....no Rom- Also Too Much Vibration....got A Solution For Me?
The vibration would not be much of an issue; I would be more concerned with proximity to the large magnets. With sufficient space between the computers hard drive and the speakers, it should be fine.

Anyone who sent me a PM and got an inbox full message, Ive cleared out my messages so feel free to send again

Old 02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
the P4-based ITX board (MB870 - check logicsupply.com) is quite nice for everything, including in-car gaming - has integrated ATI graphics. I use it with an OPUS 150W supply, which just about meets the minimum reqs (as long as you use a notebook drive, you won't max out the 12v rail).

Old 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM
I'd be interested in just the DW screen inside and headunit and din install.. I'm ordering those soon, you've got a PM!

Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I'd be interested. Its hard to find good installers.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm willing to help out in the Bay Area.
By the way a great place to install the pc and power supply is also under your seat....that sould hopefully take care of some of the vibrations.

The digitalwheelz screen is awesome...I use the touchscreen model with a in car-pc software called Centrafuse and Copilot 8 for gps and am completely satisfied. Best non-performance mod out there!

I may start on a project to make a G35 friendly under seat PC case with integrated carnetix power supply, powered usb hub, hard drive damper and pac swi-x.... If thats something that is of interest to enough people.