Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Possible to paint SAT antenna?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005 | 08:34 PM
|
Possible to paint SAT antenna?

I am going to put Satellite radio in my car finally and wanted to know if it's possible to paint the ugly black antenna. If so, how? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005 | 08:53 PM
My antenna is velcroed to the inside of the windshield to the right of the mirror. Great reception and no ugly antenna on the outside of the car. Wire is hidden and runs down the right A-pillar.

Old 02-20-2005 | 09:02 PM
you can install it completely hidden as I did. my Sirius antenna is under the rear parcel shelf. there's a pictures of it in my photobucket account. I removed the left child seat anchor, put the antenna (its magnet base holds it in place) under the shelf and routed the wires through the hole where the bolt was. installed the child seat anchor cover over the antenna and it's now hidden.

Old 02-21-2005 | 09:15 AM
Good job LivyathanZero, this is exactly what I've been looking for when I get ready to install mine.

Have you experienced any drop outs ?

Originally Posted by LivyathanZero
you can install it completely hidden as I did. my Sirius antenna is under the rear parcel shelf. there's a pictures of it in my photobucket account. I removed the left child seat anchor, put the antenna (its magnet base holds it in place) under the shelf and routed the wires through the hole where the bolt was. installed the child seat anchor cover over the antenna and it's now hidden.

Old 02-21-2005 | 02:36 PM
But Can It Be Painted? Im Interested In Having It Outside But Body Colored...

Old 02-21-2005 | 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Zero2sixty
Good job LivyathanZero, this is exactly what I've been looking for when I get ready to install mine.

Have you experienced any drop outs ?

I originally had my Sirius antenna sitting at the center of the rear parcel shelf but I experienced too many dropouts for my liking with it there. That's why I moved it to the front windshield next to the mirror (can't see it while driving). Great reception now.

I don't see why the antenna can't be painted body color if you really want to have it on the outside of the car. As long as the paint doesn't have any metal particles in it (does metallic paint have metal particles in it????), you should be fine.

Old 02-21-2005 | 07:38 PM
There was a guy who replaced the Infiniti SAT antenna with a smaller after market unit, he painted it before he installed it. Only I'm not sure if I read about it here on G35Driver or the now defunct ClubG35.

Old 02-21-2005 | 07:52 PM
if I'm stopped under a wide overpass or bridge, the service blinks. but other than that, I've had no problems. I even have service when I bring it inside the shop where I work.

Old 02-22-2005 | 10:47 AM
Sound Advice
I painted mine IP it took two touch up kits the cost about $25. Its 2 stage the white base and the pearl coat. I'll take some pix tonite to post tomorrow. It looks great it a terk micro antenna so it is tiny.

Old 02-22-2005 | 12:31 PM
No Problems With Metallic Paint?

Old 02-22-2005 | 06:27 PM
as per Terk (who makes the antenna), it can be painted but dont use metallic.

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:03 AM
Sound Advice
I have had no problems.

Old 02-23-2005 | 09:31 PM
I painted my Brilliant Silver, looks good. I originally had it inside the car on the rear panel and had a lot of drops so I moved it to the roof but couldn't stand the black. I used a primer and then a spray to match the factory paint. I attached some pics (hopefully it works)

Attached Thumbnails Possible to paint SAT antenna?-top.jpg   Possible to paint SAT antenna?-side.jpg  
Old 02-23-2005 | 09:51 PM
|
Originally Posted by jburd4
I painted my Brilliant Silver, looks good. I originally had it inside the car on the rear panel and had a lot of drops so I moved it to the roof but couldn't stand the black. I used a primer and then a spray to match the factory paint. I attached some pics (hopefully it works)
That looks really good. What kind of antenna is that and where did you get the spray paint from? Because aren't the touch up paints from the dealer like markers where you just "color" them on rather than just spray/paint them?

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:42 PM
Whenever I wanted to have an OEM paint in an aerosol can I used this place, always came out perfect. It requires the factory color code to place an order.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch_up_paint.asp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible to paint SAT antenna?