Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket DD install not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket DD install not working

My buddy had a DD sitting in his garage for about 8 months that he got in on a trade with various other items. It's one of those cheap eBay all in one head units. Well a deal came up on craigslist with a guy who wrecked his G35 before he could install a DD, and he was asking $175 for the Metra Turbo 2 95-7605A unused, but my buddy got it for $100. He ran by wally world and picked up a scoche wiring adapter for the head unit and came over. We got everything wired up and when i pulled his radio/climate control assembly out, there were 4 pigtails coming out of the radio. But only 2 of them will go into the scoche adapter. I read that one of the other ones is for steering wheel control, and I'm not quite sure what the 4th pigtail is for.

Anyways, we plugged it all up, and before we put everything back together, we tried to turn on the head unit but it wouldn't come on. I does work, though, when i hook it straight up to the battery. Also, the head unit is getting power when the scoche adapter is plugged into the 2 pigtails that fit, because there is a red light coming from the cd slot. Are these scoche adapters not compatible with the g35 even though the box says so?

Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Further info I forgot to mention: it's a 2005 G35. It's equipped with the Bose system. It's completely factory with no modifications.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Everything you need to know about how to wire up aftermarket dd with a Bose system is in the very first sticky in this section. Check it out.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by SrT4_OwNeR
My buddy had a DD sitting in his garage for about 8 months that he got in on a trade with various other items. It's one of those cheap eBay all in one head units. Well a deal came up on craigslist with a guy who wrecked his G35 before he could install a DD, and he was asking $175 for the Metra Turbo 2 95-7605A unused, but my buddy got it for $100. He ran by wally world and picked up a scoche wiring adapter for the head unit and came over. We got everything wired up and when i pulled his radio/climate control assembly out, there were 4 pigtails coming out of the radio. But only 2 of them will go into the scoche adapter. I read that one of the other ones is for steering wheel control, and I'm not quite sure what the 4th pigtail is for.

Anyways, we plugged it all up, and before we put everything back together, we tried to turn on the head unit but it wouldn't come on. I does work, though, when i hook it straight up to the battery. Also, the head unit is getting power when the scoche adapter is plugged into the 2 pigtails that fit, because there is a red light coming from the cd slot. Are these scoche adapters not compatible with the g35 even though the box says so?
Originally Posted by SrT4_OwNeR
Further info I forgot to mention: it's a 2005 G35. It's equipped with the Bose system. It's completely factory with no modifications.

Scosche makes about 300 different harnesses/adapters, so specifying which one you went with would help - but it should at least let the headunit power up if it plugs into the factory harness. Whether you get sound at a good level and quality is another story.

If you're showing power to the unit but it won't power up, you've probably got the constant power (yellow) connected, but the switched power (red) isn't connected right. Another possibility is that you're not grounded. The ground wire from the wiring adapters doesn't go to anything, the factory radio relies on using the chassis as a ground.

So, if you get the right adapter (PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter instead of the scosche wiring harness) and wire it up correctly according to the sticky that DeafBringer mentioned you should be good to go.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Everything you need to know about how to wire up aftermarket dd with a Bose system is in the very first sticky in this section. Check it out.
Thanks for the input. I checked it out already. My initial question about the scoche harness wasn't addressed in that thread, which is why I started this thread.

Scosche makes about 300 different harnesses/adapters, so specifying which one you went with would help - but it should at least let the headunit power up if it plugs into the factory harness. Whether you get sound at a good level and quality is another story.

If you're showing power to the unit but it won't power up, you've probably got the constant power (yellow) connected, but the switched power (red) isn't connected right. Another possibility is that you're not grounded. The ground wire from the wiring adapters doesn't go to anything, the factory radio relies on using the chassis as a ground.

So, if you get the right adapter (PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter instead of the scosche wiring harness) and wire it up correctly according to the sticky that DeafBringer mentioned you should be good to go.
It's the NN032 harness. It says on the box that it works with 03-06 G35. I will let him know to take this back, if they will take it, and get the PAC harness. Thank you.