Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions regarding upgrading stock bose system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions regarding upgrading stock bose system

hello, so for my 2004 g35x sedan with bose im planning to get
a jensen dvd/navigation unit and this 4 channel amp, and a replacement set of components for the front, i already have a sub and an amp for it, and then i also plan to get the other required stuff, antenna adapters, the double din ac control BS that is needed. so far my plan is to run 6 pre amp lines from the radio down to where the stock amp is and replace it with the new 4 channel amp and cut out the stock subwoofer, then the other 2 to my sub. from there i plan to use the stock wires to the other speakers, then replace the front speakers, now my first question is, do you think this is easily doable by myself? or maybe with a friend. I have moderate experience actually installing radios and amps, have only done a few myself but thats it. I understand that the bose system complicates the crap out of everything. so would it be a good idea to completely bypass the stock wiring from the radio to the amp and just run pre amp wires? I mean if it seems too much to take on ill just take all my parts to a shop to get them to do, now as reluctant as i am and cheap, i may have to, just to you know, get it done right, because ill probably rig it up not in the most professional way at least at some points.

now another thing i am uncertain of, for the front speakers, is there any type of crossover? I thought i read something how their idea of a crossover was a capacitor on one of the speakers, but just trying to make sure that for some reason the bose amp doesnt actually have separate outputs for front woofers and tweeters, unlikely but havent really seen anything to confirm that its not the case. I'm kinda expecting everything in the worst and most proprietary way possible from bose.

anyone out there who originally had the bose system, how did you tackle that.

also could the power lines going to the bose amp, would those be large enough to power that 4 channel amp, its 50 watts rms x 4 @4 ohms, which the components are, but its 75 x 4 @ 2 ohms which kinda scares me since im pretty sure the stock speakers that im leaving in the back are 2 ohms, i may just find a cheap filler thats at 4 ohms that can at least handle the power.

bottom line, idk crap about this bose system. please enlighten me. sorry for the walls of text.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
As a new member one of your responsibilities is to do some research to answer questions that you will have. A good place to look is in the "stickied" threads at the top of each subforum such as this one which should answer all of the questions you posed here.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by cjcj11
hello, so for my 2004 g35x sedan with bose im planning to get
a jensen dvd/navigation unit and this 4 channel amp, and a replacement set of components for the front, i already have a sub and an amp for it, and then i also plan to get the other required stuff, antenna adapters, the double din ac control BS that is needed. so far my plan is to run 6 pre amp lines from the radio down to where the stock amp is and replace it with the new 4 channel amp and cut out the stock subwoofer, then the other 2 to my sub. from there i plan to use the stock wires to the other speakers, then replace the front speakers, now my first question is, do you think this is easily doable by myself? or maybe with a friend. I have moderate experience actually installing radios and amps, have only done a few myself but thats it. I understand that the bose system complicates the crap out of everything. so would it be a good idea to completely bypass the stock wiring from the radio to the amp and just run pre amp wires? I mean if it seems too much to take on ill just take all my parts to a shop to get them to do, now as reluctant as i am and cheap, i may have to, just to you know, get it done right, because ill probably rig it up not in the most professional way at least at some points.

now another thing i am uncertain of, for the front speakers, is there any type of crossover? I thought i read something how their idea of a crossover was a capacitor on one of the speakers, but just trying to make sure that for some reason the bose amp doesnt actually have separate outputs for front woofers and tweeters, unlikely but havent really seen anything to confirm that its not the case. I'm kinda expecting everything in the worst and most proprietary way possible from bose.

anyone out there who originally had the bose system, how did you tackle that.

also could the power lines going to the bose amp, would those be large enough to power that 4 channel amp, its 50 watts rms x 4 @4 ohms, which the components are, but its 75 x 4 @ 2 ohms which kinda scares me since im pretty sure the stock speakers that im leaving in the back are 2 ohms, i may just find a cheap filler thats at 4 ohms that can at least handle the power.

bottom line, idk crap about this bose system. please enlighten me. sorry for the walls of text.

So bottom line - if you're replacing the radio, amp and speakers, you're fine using stock wiring from the trunk to the doors.

Yes, there's a capacitor used as a high-pass filter, but it's mounted right on the tweeter, so eliminating it isn't any big deal. The wiring does a y-split inside the doors, so if you're running your own crossover for the components, you can put the crossover in the door (plenty of room) and just wire from it to the stock speaker/tweeter locations.

No, you absolutely cannot re-using the power wiring. It's like 14 gauge (which tells you how little power the bose amp is capable of).