Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replace dual climate control? Flickering lights & stereo powers off

Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace dual climate control? Flickering lights & stereo powers off

Hello all, longtime forum member since I bought my 03 Sedan in 2003. 245k miles later the car still runs great but the engine demands sacrificial oil at a pretty good clip.

For awhile now (multiple years) I have noticed the lights on the AC panel where the AC, inside/outside air etc. buttons are the lights will sometimes flash very quickly for several seconds and then stay on solid. It is random and it happens quite a lot. Everything always worked fine so I never did anything about it.

The power to my stereo now cuts out once in awhile and then comes back on (sometimes with a tap against the side panel). Seems to happen more when it's warmer out but I can't be 100% sure of that. I know of the problem where the stereo cuts out and the AC stays on full blast, but that is not exactly what's going on here.

I replaced the Bose 6 CD changer with a Pioneer double DIN model w/ the Metra kit about 5 years ago. So This is also not that resistor thing in the Bose stereo I've read about.

Which part does this sound like? The climate control? Thinking about buying this and see if it fixes the issue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2006-In...38.m2548.l4275

I am pretty sure the Metra kit uses everything original on the car, I did not swap out the AC controller like you do with the JDM kit.

The other thing I am wondering about is I have a VERY weird engine overheating problem that only occurs when it is very hot (like, 95) and I drive the car at least 15 miles or so. I am wondering if this issue is also causing that issue. I have replaced cooling fans, thermostat, all the usual stuff. It is not air in the system. I finally broke down and took it to the dealer but they could not find the problem. It smells like one of those lovely electrical problems. In any event I'd like to fix the stereo power issue but hoping I get lucky and solve this weird other problem as well. When the car overheats if I turn the AC off the temp comes down, every single time. So it's a rough workaround but it beats pulling over. Whatever the problem is, it is definitely related to the AC being on.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, duh. The part I linked above is not the problem, that is only the display. What I meant to post was a link to an audio finisher board. Which from what I can see are about impossible to get. Aw, poop.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sounds like after 14 years of loyal service your girl is destined to have a proper DD set up. Don't be sad, rejoice!! When I installed my system I had an all new appreciation for my car.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.