Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power should I run to my Dynaudio 240GTs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much power should I run to my Dynaudio 240GTs?

I've heard that they need a lot of power to run. Is it possible to over-power them? I'm planning on using my Arc Audio 4150-XXK in bridged stereo (320 watts x 2 into 4ohm). Is that too much?

I also have a set of Kicker SS65.2 for the rear speakers that I want to power with another 4150-XXK. Do you think they could handle 320 watts each too?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Last edited by mrclean12; 03-02-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding additional info
Old 03-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I bet that system will rock. I've always heard the crossovers are the weak link in Dynaudio setup. If you can I would run the 4150 in 4 ch mode (ch1,2 power tweeters and ch 3,4 power midrange drivers) and run either external crossover or run the amps crossovers if the crossover points are high enough. Not sure if that makes sense to you or not. Personally I think running another set of speakers powered by another 4150 might be overkill and mess up the front stage.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah...I see what you're saying. I've considered running in 4-channel mode just like you said just to power the 240GTs. I've actually considered using the second amp in 4-channel mode to run the SS65.2s as well. I'll do some playing around to see what sounds best.

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-02-2005, 01:01 PM
If I were you I wouldn't pollute the sound of the Dyna's with the sound of the Kicker's. If you're a 2-ch home audiophile you won't like the sound if you run the Kickers also. Previously I worked at a home and car audio retailer and when designing a (car)system for sound quality I would usually only run fronts (either 2-way or 3-way) and a sub. Thats pretty much all you need. Plus I would try to get as much power as the budget allowed. I just had a good idea if you really want to make the system sound sick. I would run one of the 4150 bridged into 2ch mode and run the tweeters then run the second 4150 bridged into 2ch mode and run the midrange drivers. The Dyna's are built to handle power, with their large voicecoils they can disspate heat. Man the setup I just recommended would be soo awesome. Would be a true Bi-Amplified system.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Wow..that would be pretty insane. Right now I'm betting the little Bose amp is delivering ~20 watts to each of my stock speaker locations. Compare that to 640 watts to each speaker location with the setup you suggested!

Hmm...I'll have to hear what it sounds like to make a decision. Mmmm....power!

Old 03-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Trust me I think what I suggest will be awesome. Just make sure you sound deaden the doors before adding your speakers.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I have 100 sqft of eDead v.1SE on it's way. Plan to deaden the crap out of the car. :-)

Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by mrclean12
I have 100 sqft of eDead v.1SE on it's way. Plan to deaden the crap out of the car. :-)
Good, you're going to need it in the doors.

What do you plan on doing for subwoofer? And are you using the stock HU? Man with Dyna speakers and Arc amps I hope you have a good sources. I've always heard the Arc amps are good, but how good are they really? I've installed them before but never had a chance to really sit down and listen to them. If you're planning on using the stock HU I would look into using the JL Audio Clean Sweep, go take a look at it on the webpage.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm just sticking with the stock HU...too much trouble to do the double din conversion. I'd get the Cleansweep, but it doesn't look like it's out until May 2005. That's always something I can do later down the road anyways...

Old 03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by mrclean12
I'm just sticking with the stock HU...too much trouble to do the double din conversion. I'd get the Cleansweep, but it doesn't look like it's out until May 2005. That's always something I can do later down the road anyways...
Yeah clean sweep is still 2 months out, but I highly recommend something like that. With the Dynas and the Arc amp pushing that much power. The system will reveal many flaws in the stock hu. Man if you live near VA I would love to hear your system when finished.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm sure I'll hear plenty of flaws. :-) I'm thinking I'll eventually just do the DD conversion and replace the stock head unit with something that can give a better signal.

I think I might do something like the Kenwood KVT-915DVD and add navigation to that. The KVT-915DVD can do DVD-Audio (amongst other things). A DVD-Audio disc would sound SWEET on my setup (even w/just 2-channel stereo).

I'm actually in Northern California (Sacramento). How 'bout when I have it all set up, I'll call and let you listen to it over the phone? :-O haha

Old 03-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Not so sure about using a Kenwood unit you're talking about. You've got audiophile grade speakers and amps, this calls for audiophile grade CD player. If I were you I would be looking at Pioneer Premier DEX-P9 and the matching DEQ-P9 processor or go look for an older Sony ES CDX-C90 and matching 4000Eqx processor. Or if you got the cash go for a Denon cd player. But good luck with the system man.