Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: Removing CD's from dead or non working stock 6 disc changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
How to: Removing CD's from dead or non working stock 6 disc changer

I have seen several people with the dead cd changer problem ask about pulling the cd's out of the changer before replacing it or sending it in for repair. It's actually easier than you would think. After you have the changer removed from the car you have to remove the philip head screws to get the metal housing removed so you can see the cd changer mechanism. You can gently lift and slide the discs out until you get to the bottom one. The very bottom is the play area and you will have to lift the clam shell drive arm to get the last disc out. I made a small video of remove the discs out of a unit I just picked up.

This radio unit would work except when you would go to CD option it would only show that it had 5 discs but could not eject, load, or play. I'm going through it (why? I am just curious) to find out what all problems it has. The loading mechanism was a bit dirty and needed new grease, I have a suspicion that the flex cable may have bad contact also. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't come up originally because it could not ID the scratched up CDR copies that were in the unit because after pulling them it started working. This next video is after I started cleaning it up and was testing some functions.

The following users liked this post:
Stalloned (07-31-2019)