Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket GPS options??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket GPS options??

Hey guys. I'm an outside salesman and I'm strongly considering a GPS system, although I couldn't justify the $2000 factory GPS. What are my options as far as aftermarket GPS are concerned?

This is the one area where I regret not going with the Acura TL. IMO, their GPS blows away the Nissan/Infiniti system.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I love the streetpilot 2610 (from Garmin, $650 on the net) - use it in my Odyssey, not G35. I have a car pc and use Copilot v8 (from Alk, $300) in my G35. Doesn't hold a candle to the streetpilot (yet - I'm told they are improving it).

Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I have the Navman iCN 510. I have been very happy with it. Check out there site

Navman icn510

I got it for $350 from fry's. I did have to buy a 256MB SD memory card for it.

Last edited by jedmonds; 03-10-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Have you guys heard of the TomTomGo? I think it manufactured in Holland, which explains the silly name, but it gets great reviews. Kind of looks like a mini 4-3 TV set.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I have heard of it, but haven't read any reviews, or know anyone that owns one.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 PM
www.gpspassion.com
-> forums

All in ones forum will have the info you seek.

I use IGuidance 2.

Most all the programs (and all in ones) still have some strength or weakness. Some choose convenience and appliance simplicity over some more complicated robust options. There's no right answer. Some work better as moving maps, others better for navigation (like mapopolis vs Iguidance). Its kinda personal choice. Sometimes its just plain value that helps you decide, like an i510 for ~$350. Hard to argue with those prices.

I like my GPS to be separate (bluetooth) so I can get better coverage in difficult areas (physically moving it to have a better sky view), but that comes with having to maintain a connection and charge it separately. Again, personal preference.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey,

I saw the TomTom at Fry's on my lunch break.. Really small, touchscreen. Looks ok.

Not to hijack, but does anyone know of an aftermarket product that is comparable to the stock dvd nav system, i.e. can be somewhat integrated with the stock stereo system, and possibly installed custom, but with more features (dvd movie playback, a/v inputs, tv, etc...)?

I've seen some pioneer's with everything.. but I don't want to replace stereor the car somes with.
I missed out on getting dvd nav on my 05 6MT, and want something comparable to it..

Thanks everyone!!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:07 PM
The Tom Tom unit is nice, but has some drawbacks on it. I have 2 Tom Toms, the regular and the "plus" version (which comes with all the maps, no difference in the units otherwise).

The biggest complaint that I have with the Tom Tom unit is how it forces your waypoints to be on a known street address. For example, if you drive somewhere and pull into the parking lot. Chances are, it won't allow you to enter a Favorite (Waypoint) via your current GPS coordinates. It forces you to use addresses to set the Faves basically. I find it very annoying. I've also noticed the Tom Tom unit seems to be a bit off on your position and also will not tell you what the current accuracy of your position is (Like my Garmin V GPS).

Also, the MPH display and street names are VERY small on the display and can be hard to read. The screen on the Tom Toms is the best part, however it glares real bad in the sunlight. The touch screen is a god send though. Punching addresses to navigate to is a snap!

My other GPS unit is a Garmin V. I really like this little unit. It lacks a decent sized screen and it's a B&W display. What I like about the Garmin is that I can take it with me anywhere. On the boat, hiking, on my motorcycle, etc. It will also let you set Waypoints anywhere you have a valid GPS signal.

I'd love to see a Tom Tom unit with the functionality of the Garmin V.

If you go for the Tom Tom GPS, check out Harmonycomputers.com. I paid $700 for the "plus" version (came with 1Gig SD card) and got a $50 mail in rebate. I was at CompUSA 2 nights ago and saw the same unit for $999 Talk about a mark up!

Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by BobbyG123
Have you guys heard of the TomTomGo? I think it manufactured in Holland, which explains the silly name, but it gets great reviews. Kind of looks like a mini 4-3 TV set.
I was playing with one the other day they're quite slick. Thats the one im going to get when i do.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
no disadvantages to the garmin streetpilot (other than price). it is an amazing piece of work...