Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Who makes the BEST Alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to my local compustar dealer yesterday to look at some and get some prices. Turns out they have stopped carrying them because of malifunction issues, and poor service and support from compustar. He said he would still sell me one if I really wanted, but he highly advised against it.

Take a look at the viper alarms lines, they have a newer called the hornet that's supposed to be real good. Does everything you'd ever want.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
for your info guys:

Clifford is a brand of DIRECTED ELECTRONICS and so is Viper, Wasp, Sidewinder and another dozen or so!

http://www.directed.com

They make quality systems.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Clifford and Viper are both great systems that are easy to install and easy to use. DEI has outstanding customer/tech support. I would definately go with either one of them

Old 04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
s2l
Originally Posted by wnt1bd
The best of the Best is Compustar. They are a 2 way sytem that monitors your car , not just sounds a horn. You can remote start a manual tranny, and it's range is enormous. Very costly though. I going to be getting one soon, but another member on here is looking @ $650-$750 for alarm & install I believe.
I concur. I just recently installed the 2W900FM-AS into my car and the range is insane! One of the best alarm systems ive ever had. PITA to install, but well worth the effort. PM me for pricing if you are in the SF bay area and is interested in getting one.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
s2l
Originally Posted by jeepman
I went to my local compustar dealer yesterday to look at some and get some prices. Turns out they have stopped carrying them because of malifunction issues, and poor service and support from compustar.
I find this hard to believe since I had great service from Brian Shaw, the lead technical/R&D guy from Compustar. The guy went above and beyond what is expected of him and his company to help me with my install not to mention doing it on his day off no less. Maybe your installer caught them on a bad day? it happens. As for malfunctioning issues, i have had very little in the hundreds that my shop has sold and installed.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I have a Viper 2 way installed but without remote start thou...i really want and need remote start but my car is manual...does anyone here will do that?

And what kind of sensor will set off when u look into the window closely? i have experienced this on a few nice cars that had park on the street, like when i get may be 3~4 inches away from the glass the warning sound will go off... i want that sensor can any one here give some answers?

Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM
s2l
adding a neutral safety switch for a manual transmission can be a bit tricky. What ive read and seen work is using a magnetic reed switch (the kind you see on house security systems for doors) You have it situated so that when the stick shift is in the neutral position, it creates a open loop. But when its in gear, it will register a closed loop thus causing the remote start feature to not operate. Its sort of tricky to get the positioning just right. The compustar bypasses this by demanding that you go through a song and dance to get the unit to remote start.

The sensor you are speaking of is called a Motion/Proxy sensor. Most security places will have them for about roughly $40-$65 each.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM
G'z 6MT
Originally Posted by aszatk01
anyone know the range of this Clifford setup? as far as how far you can be for it to be effective? 400 doesnt sound all that bad for a high end alarm, autostart and lcd.
I'm surprised I have not heard much talk about the system I have in my G.
I had it installed when I purchased the car. Very simular to "On-Star" & "Low Jack", however I can locate my car anywhere by simply going on-line. Also notifies you of any problems with the car. Quite a cool gaget. Here the link for more info.

http://www.networkcar.com/networkcar/pub/main

Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I've had alpine, DEI's alarms, and Prestige. I'd recommend the DEI lines and the Prestige. A great website/retailer to check for any alarm products is www.autotoys.com I've bought multiple alarms from them in the past and they have great tech support and super prices. From what they have, usually the Presitige line has the best features (including remote start for manual tran), and my prestige had a range of ~2 miles!

But I must also agree with the earlier posts - no alarm is going to prevent theft of car or contents. Mostly just self reliance or deter a delinquant teenager. I had my car broken into with alarms (yes more than 1) blarring at 12:30 lunchtime (nice sunny busy parking lot), horn going, lights, pager...whole nine yards. They stole an $800 amp and looked vigorously for my faceplate (that was with me), or they would have probably taken my cd player too. Breaking/entering should = death sentence! Just think how many theifs would retire!

Old 04-28-2005, 06:07 PM
G'z 6MT
Originally Posted by wnt1bd
The best of the Best is Compustar. They are a 2 way sytem that monitors your car , not just sounds a horn. You can remote start a manual tranny, and it's range is enormous. Very costly though. I going to be getting one soon, but another member on here is looking @ $650-$750 for alarm & install I believe.
Now why would you want auto start for a "Manual Tranny" I would def disagree with that. "Why you ask!!!... Well my son has that same gismo on his 2000 Camaro and the Installer suggested he not add that item to his alarm and though he was discouraged to do it... He did. Now I know you should not start your car in gear with the "Auto-Start" but one fine day you will... Just like he did and guess what *$%#!!! his car drove into the garage and hit the Waterheater and drove the heater through the wall... Though you might say I would never do that ..Well you where warned.

NOTE: Fine, If you own an AT

Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned any products my Omega. My local Infiniti dealership said they have been using Omega products for over 18 years and never had any problems. They wanted to charge me $285 including installation, for the Omega K9 alarm system that includes 2 additional sensors (1 in each headlight for headlight theft protection). I went to another place who said they would install the upgraded alarm called the Omega Excalibur and also the additional Echo-2 Upgrade Kit which comes with the LCD remote that extends the range to 1,500 ft. This seems like a pretty excellent deal so I told them I would get it installed this Saturday. I will let you know how that comes out but if you guys are saying you got up to 2 mile range with Prestige then I should probably check that one out as this one is only giving me about a third of a mile range. They also mentioned how much of a PITA it is to install Clifford alarm systems and they always cause problems. Let me know if any of you have had problems in the past with Clifford, thanks. Btw omega's website is http://www.caralarm.com so check it out
-GoldSport

Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by G6MT
Now why would you want auto start for a "Manual Tranny" I would def disagree with that. "Why you ask!!!... Well my son has that same gismo on his 2000 Camaro and the Installer suggested he not add that item to his alarm and though he was discouraged to do it... He did. Now I know you should not start your car in gear with the "Auto-Start" but one fine day you will... Just like he did and guess what *$%#!!! his car drove into the garage and hit the Waterheater and drove the heater through the wall... Though you might say I would never do that ..Well you where warned.

NOTE: Fine, If you own an AT
There is a way to set it so that it won't turn on if the car is in gear.. so basically it'll remote start only in neutral

Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
clifford is not the best alarm...Viper is the best of the best, it is made by the same company as clifford but is way better and has all these options your looking for...go to www.dei.com

Old 05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
G'z 6MT
I wish my Son would have known that!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who makes the BEST Alarm?