Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Isn't it kinda ghetto to pull out the screen (Digital Wheelz)? Can you motorize it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Head 'n Shoulders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it kinda ghetto to pull out the screen (Digital Wheelz)? Can you motorize it?

I am really leaning towards purchasing a digital wheelz screen setup, but i cant get over how ghetto it looks to pull out the screen.

I mean what if your on a first date and your like "check this out" and then you reach inside your cubbyhole and pull out a tv. Imagine what she must be thinking- (ghetto). Or at least thats what i would be thinking. It just seems a bit akward.

Anyways, this comes to my question. Can you modify the screen so it is motorized? Or at least spring loaded so all you have to do is push a button and it will pop up?

I cant see myself pulling out my tv from a cubbyhole. sorry

Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A. If you are trying to impress your date, then perhaps it is you that shouldn't have been ghetto in the first place by not getting the factory NAV.

B. If you've taken apart the dash/console/HVAC unit, you would truly understand what a brilliant and innovative design the digital wheelz setup is. Far from ghetto.

I see where you are coming from, but you simply could have asked for a version 2 with those features you'd like to see. You aren't exactly going to fall into god_of_cpu's (digital wheelz) good graces by calling his work ghetto.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Head 'n Shoulders
I dont mean by any way to condescend god_of_cpu or his products in any way. I think his product is the best thing on the market and that is why I am seriously considering buying it. The manual extraction of the nav unit is the only thing that is apprehending me from doing so. Sorry if i came off the wrong way. Anyways, i do regret not getting the nav. I didn't think too much of it at the time of getting my car.

Anyways, back to the topic. Is there any way this unit can be motorized or equipped with springs so it comes up somewhat automatically? Or perhaps god_of_cpu can make a custom order ?

Old 03-18-2005, 12:39 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can have your dash remolded, put in an Avic 1

Old 03-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Head 'n Shoulders
Ehhh i dont really wanna mess with remolding and stuff. Im sure that type of work gets complicated and expensive.

Have you seen saridi's white g coupe? I love his setup. He has an avic-1 custom fitted in the lid of his cubbyhole. Looks hot

Old 03-18-2005, 02:12 AM
I really wouldn't mind seeing a motorized or at least "spring loaded" set up. Something like the factory set up

Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I ve asked chuck (god of cpu) in regards to putting in some sort of actuator or motorized unit. It isnt possible b/c there is just barely enough room to fit the screen/housing let alone a actuator motor/arm to move the housing up and down. The fact the screen isnt motorized isnt a big deal to me, I just purchased rims so I gotta relax for a bit on the spending!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Maybe you need more game if you need a motorized Nav screen to impress a chick?

Old 03-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by robbdogg
Maybe you need more game if you need a motorized Nav screen to impress a chick?

Hahaha. Thats what I was thinking. The honies are impressed when they see mine. Plus I almost always leave it flipped open unless I go out on the town for the night or in a bad area I'll hide it but to and from work and over to a friends place, its usually out. No complaints here

Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
I originally wanted to motorize it, but really theres just no room. You can't do a bolt-on vertically rising screen, like the stock NAV screen, using the stock non-NAV parts. The only way you can do it with an AVIC or something like that is cause you have to cut out duct work and do alot of fabricating for the install.

Unfortunatly its not about just installing a screen in the best way possible. Compromises do have to be made to fit a 7" screen in a 7" hole using the stock non-NAV parts for a bolt on install. If you don't like these compromises, talk to your local audio shop, who, given enough money, can probably do whatever your dreams desire.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 AM
DONT stop making the screens!!

Old 03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=afr0puff]A. If you are trying to impress your date, then perhaps it is you that shouldn't have been ghetto in the first place by not getting the factory NAV.

QUOTE]

Very true.....hehehehehe

Old 03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by pdjafari
DONT stop making the screens!!
I'm taking a break for now. I'll have a few more (< 10) that I'll be selling in May, but I'm not sure if the product will continue after that. If you want an 03/04 model though, e-mail admin@digitalwheelz.com and if I get enough response I may do another production.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I guess my dreams have been dashed for an '05 solution. Damn...

Old 03-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Sound Advice
I think this is a brilliant product the way it is and a value for the price. Motorizing it would greatly increase the cost of the product and installation. The screen would also have to get smaller. IMO the screen looks good to leave up most of the time the only time you need to tuck it away is if you are parking in a really shady neighborhood where you don't want anyone to see it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Isn't it kinda ghetto to pull out the screen (Digital Wheelz)? Can you motorize it?