Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer Navi in Cubby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pioneer Navi in Cubby

I found this on the net; perhaps I'm not the first person to bring this up, but this looks like the ideal way to install a aftermarket NAV. I just don't know how the hell he did it.... Any ideas?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/saridi

Last edited by Beowulf; 03-18-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Head 'n Shoulders
yea thats my favorite setup as well. I think it would take alot of work though. You would have to precisely cut into the lid and take down the back wall inside the cubby cuz the unit is too big. But it looks like it can de done without excessive work.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Do you think there is enough room behind the back wall or do you have to cut into the dash even more? I would be afraid I would go through cutting it all then find out they had to do something really hard to get it all the way in.

I would figure if it were as easy as cutting the back wall more people would do it this way?

Last edited by Beowulf; 03-18-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Head 'n Shoulders
hmmm im not sure if there is a major obstruction behind the cubby wall. Im betting not though. Probably just massive wiring which could be moved around. If you do it, lemme know though. Im really interested in this setup too.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
hey wolf... whats that thing at the very bottom of ur console... looks something like a cassette player, but its a screen instead? mp3 player??

Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
rrpnow, I don't think thats Beowulf's car but it looks like the EDFC controller for the Tein adjustable coilovers.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Beowulf
Look for some posts by Saridi, he's a user here on g35driver. I'm not 100% sure but I remember something about cutting into the A/C ducts that are behind the cubby.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Wolf keep us posted if you try this assembly and take great pictures if you do. I know I would be interested in something like this.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:07 AM
These are just some pics I found on the net not my car.
I've also heard rumors that you have to cut into the AC duct to get this to work. But I haven't talked to anyone that could confirm this. I'll look for some more posts about it, and if I actually get the ***** to try this I will post some pics.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:40 AM
"BEOWULF" I have a fried who had a similar install...He went to his local amusement park and someone ripped his avic N1 right out of his dash because it was exposed to anyone walking by...have you see the totally hidden nav install?
http://www.nairod.com/G35MODS

Old 03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I like the hidden install. It looks like they mounted it vertically into the cubby rather than more horizontally as in my example. I can see how they avoided the AC ducts that way. Its too bad they didn't include what they thought was the "big challenge" when installing it. I don't have too much of a problem with paying a custom shop to do it assuming the price is resonable, but I can't drive to New York to do it...

--Paul

Old 03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
The difficulty they ran into was making the AC/heat controls functional after removing the indash cd changer without purchasing the separate ac control sold online. (also I hear when you buy the separate ac control you lose dual climate control functionality). Eventually they figured out that they had to remove the indash cd changer but keep the cassette deck because for some reason Japan has all wires for ac’heat etc connected through the separate cassette deck. Also it was trial and error fabricating brackets for the nav unit because you had to get the correct angle for the unit. The nav unit is not mounted upright…it’s mounted on a 45 degree angle, Pioneer documents states that you shouldn’t mount the unit at an angle of more than 30 degrees…after calling Pioneer tech support I was told by several techs that mounting at a 45 degree angle is fine

Last edited by MorenoEnNYC; 03-21-2005 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
is that your car moreno? if it is... how much did precision installation charge for that custom install?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
yes it's my car...I had all the equipment already so they just charged me around 500 for the install and that's because I knew the owner. The install took about 8 hours...I'm sure thay can do it in less time now that they somewhat have it perfected

Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Thats a great deal considering you didn't get the navi through them.

So I take it the cd player does not work at all now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Navi in Cubby