Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

i envy about ppl who got navi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: i envy about ppl who got navi

Both. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why I love my nav system (affectionately named Sal by my friends)-

I signed the title for my g35, handed over a check, and drove it straight from the dealer in Indianapolis to Destin, FL. I stopped on the way to pay an impromptu visit to a friend in Murfreesboro, TN: I just put in his phone number and it got me right to his front door. On the way, it found me an incredibly fast route (shaved an hour and a half off of the traditional route) using some small towns in Alabama. When I was almost out of gas, it told me I had 60 miles left, and that if I passed an upcoming gas station, the next would be 75 miles away. As I arrived in Destin, my friends called to tell me they had changed hotels and didn't know the name of the road it was on. I simply chose the Hotels category and found it in the Nav system within about 5 seconds.

While in Destin, it found restaurants by cuisine again within 5 seconds, looked up the phone number of a nearby Papa John's while we were on the road so we could order on the fly, and got us to the closest hospital when a friend got major food poisoning en route to the beach (We think it was from the Papa John's. Oops).

Even driving around Indianapolis, I can see where every street in a mile or so radius is in relation to me, so if I hit traffic I can see where the thru-streets are and bypass it all. With the gift of free DVD upgrades every year for 5 years from my dealer, it's well worth the investment to me.

George

Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be sad. How about a PC for the car? I saw a thread (not sure if it was on this list) of a fellow who put a PC in the trunk of his G35C. No pop up and down screen, but the screen was in stock location, about the same time. It had Nav, DVD, 1000 MP3s and wireless internet access. ALL for less than $1500, (not counting installation.)

04 G35 6MTS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem/Wint (Hopefully Sept 03)
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 06-06-2003, 12:56 PM

I've noticed when using my navi that you can only input directions when you're at a full stop, I know this is a safety feature but is there an option on the screen where we can disable it?

Old 06-06-2003, 01:31 PM

When I was first shopping around I thought the navigation would be a total waste like many of you. Then I rode in my future bro-in-law's 04 Maxima and saw the Birds Eye View mode and thought that it might be an interesting thing to have. After some consideration I also began to think that if the car had navigation that it would probably be easier to sell because of that bonus feature. So I went ahead and bought a G35 w/ navi for more practical reasons going into it. However, now that I've gotten to play with it a bit I think it's worth every penny. Locate the nearest hotels, ATMs, restaurants on the fly with a simple push of a button. Find out what the name of the street you are coming up on when driving in unfamiliar neighborhoods. Track your gas milage records and try and keep the leaf over 20mpg (Those who have it know! . I highly recommend choosing that option if you get a chance to.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Quick note- I completely neglected to mention that the G and my navi helped catch a criminal this past weekend.

I witnessed a hit-and-run, a black cadillac sts turned left illegally into oncoming traffic and hit another car head-on (oncoming car was probably going ~50), spinning it into two more. As soon as the caddy driver realized what had happened, he started to speed away (MAJOR damage to his car). I made sure everyone was okay, dialed 911 and sent them to the intersection, then followed the cadillac. The driver was obviously impaired and almost hit three cars head-on at about 50mph (his hood was folded up over his windshield). I followed him as he made several sudden turns, and I was on the phone with the police telling them exactly where we were, what street we were turning on to, and what streets were coming up. This was in a part of town with which I'm not farmiliar, so being able to know every street coming up really helped. I eventually enlisted the help of a gas company truck by motioning for him to follow me- he realized the situation, as my emergency lights were on and I was blaring my horn to warn traffic of the essentially blind drunk driver approaching intersections. The truck turned on the red/white flashing light on his truck and this made the drunk driver pull over into a parking lot and escape on foot into the woods. We got the police to our exact location and they chased him down. I'm just glad no one at the scene was seriously hurt and that we got this guy behind bars...
George

Old 06-06-2003, 07:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats dude, and chalk one up for Infiniti's Navi. Sounds like "Crime Stoppers" owes you some dough (and a medal) [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Interesting update... Friday night I was driving through the same intersection and witnessed ANOTHER accident there. A woman blew a red, clipped a Merc as it was going through, and sent it through a fence about 20 yards away... When I called the cops, the same officer as last weekend showed up. After talking to him for a while, he told me he'd just pull my info from the other report, and as I was leaving he said "See ya next weekend". The girl in the car told me and my friend (who was with me last weekend too) that we were the guardian angels of that intersection... my dad said it sounded more like we were the Typhoid Marys.
George

Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM

What aftermarket nav fits in the same spot? Please list name and modle number and cost.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2003, 12:26 PM

I just got a NAVMAN 630 for about $830 + $70 for a 256MB SD momory card.

big discussion over at freshalloy aloong with pics.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Also for a similar price is the Garmin Street Pilot III. (A new model of the Garmin is rumored to be coming soon?)

Also can go with a more OEM type instal but those will typically run $2-4k and are not easy to move from car to car (I generally figure if you wanted to spend that much you would have ordered it in the car to start with.) Depends on what you want to get.

2003.5 G35 Sedan

Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 PM

My Goodness, Kudos. What intersection is that...I need to make sure I avoid that one.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Man this thing is ooooooooold hahaha after market is way better than stock navy, I got an after market touch screen with navy pioneer to be exact and it has the ipod and blue tooth intergration, I love it.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Yeah, this thread is OLD!

Aftermarket FTW!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get the Nav System on my car either. Also my Palm Treo has Navigation on it.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Goddamn this thread is old!!!

I bought my car with the navi just because of the fact it has a motorized screen... but it's ultimately a $2000 7" tv... Inifniti navigation sucks... it doesn't tell you where there's traffic, it always gives you the most f'd up routes without giving you an option, and the interface is the worst part...

Every few seconds, the screen always cuts to an annoying zoomed in screen (so you can't really use the thing as a map anymore) as it cuts off your music so you can hear a voice tell you how far you are from your exit or the next turn (and by every few seconds, I mean every few seconds).

And it's not even touch screen... On top of that, the controls are pretty awful, and you can't enter anything when the car is moving. It really works best as a monitor for my PS2... Would I buy the same options again? Yes, but only because the motorized screen is so cool... If we're talking about the new gen sedans without the motorized navi screen, then no.

Last edited by dofu; 10-23-2008 at 06:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: i envy about ppl who got navi