Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone have a JL Cleansweep??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a JL Cleansweep??

Still in the planning stage for my system - very interested in the Cleansweep - does anyone have one yet? Seen one available? TIA...

Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
The latest I got from my installer is a mid-may release.
Jeff

Old 04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
JL has a history of delaying products though. I would say it will be available in the summer. If it does come out in may, I would be shocked.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Any idea of the price range? I'm thinking it's gonna cost about $3-400

Old 04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I think the press release said $350.

I was originally looking at an AudioControl EQL for about $170 - but after reading from a couple posters that the damn factory equalization is still fu'ed, thought more about the Cleansweep.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Any competent eq will be more than enough to fix the factory eq issues. At least it was for me.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys...i work at a SF bay area stereo shop and like others have mentioned, JL plans to release the item in mid to late may. The price on the Cleansweep should be in the $350-$400 range. We have already placed our orders, and at this point we are patiently waiting arrival.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I have read on another site that the head unit puts out a flat signal. If that is the case the cleansweep wouldn't really so that much for improving the SQ. i understand tht some RTAs can read the signal out of the HU and measure the response with the proper adapter. I personally don't have dorect access to one but might be able to. If someone does have access it would be great if they checked and posted the results.

Check here

http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimate...1;t=023201;p=3

Mark

Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
That is a gigantic thread - I saw a reference to some Bose equipped vehicles (Escalade) having a flat output, but nothing specific to Infiniti - did I miss it? This is a fairly important issue, as it will determine if I wait for a Cleansweep, or just go with an AudioControl EQ instead. Sure seems to be alot of differing opinions on this issue...

Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Until the JL comes out, and is tested, no one will really be able to say what the better option would be.

Everything about the JL is pure speculation at this point. I would wait until people test it before I pay big bucks for it. Just get an LOC or cheap EQ to hold you over until there is more info about it.

One thing to note is that Bose makes stereos for several car companies, catering to different parameters in each situation. One vehicle with a bose HU might put out a flat signal, while another might not. Until the JL is tested in our cars, there is no saying what it will, or will not do.

Only time will tell...

Old 04-22-2005, 09:31 AM
This why I am hoping someone can test the our head unit output, before and after the amp... I know the Auto Volume Control still works on my car so some processing is taking place in the HU. Even if it is "flat", how how does it compare to aftermarket?

Anybody competitors w/a RTA????

Old 04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I know almost as a fact that the Bose amp does not output a flat signal. you can clearly hear it in music when set at 0/0 bass/treble. The music sounds hollow and there is no mid-range. The EQ goes really crazy when you move the bass to +1 or +2. The upper bass/lower mid-range levels are over-boosted and it gets so muddy it sounds like I'm in a cave.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:22 PM
,,,which raises the question: what are the best Treble and Base settings for the Bose HU to get the flattest output?

There may be more than one opinion here....

Old 04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
P,

I believe the amp does has a curve to it but is suppose to correct for in car measurements. Adjusting the tone controls does not necessarly mean that there is a curve in the equipment. It could be from speaker placement or reflections from glass or absorption from the carpets, canceling waves,or many other possibilities that cause the sound you hear.

Mark

Old 04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by opimax
P,

I believe the amp does has a curve to it but is suppose to correct for in car measurements. Adjusting the tone controls does not necessarly mean that there is a curve in the equipment. It could be from speaker placement or reflections from glass or absorption from the carpets, canceling waves,or many other possibilities that cause the sound you hear.

Mark
Yes, the output is not flat, and some of it has to do w/ the design for the car's cabin, but some of it is also the way Bose makes audio equipment. Bose does things wildly different than pretty much every other audio equipment manufacturer out there.
I am not sure what you mean by "Adjusting the tone controls does not necessarly mean that there is a curve in the equipment." The tone controls will raise or lower the amp's output levels over the frequency spectrum based on your settings. Theoretically, if you did have a flat output at 0/0, raising bass/treble would modify the output curve. The exact EQ profiles for each setting are customized by Bose, and I feel that when you raise the bass setting, it adds too much coloration over too much of the spectrum.

My tone controls are usually the following:
Radio: 0 bass, +2 treble
CD: 0 bass, 0 or +1 treble
Stern in the morning: -2 bass

I will sometimes go +1 bass but I've found I have to change these settings from song to song.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a JL Cleansweep??