Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mpeg-4 Divx Player vs. PS2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mpeg-4 Divx Player vs. PS2

I have a dillema and wanted to ask your opinion. I will be replacing the navi system in two weeks (the Infiniti US one cannot be converted to work in Europe) and as my dash will be stripped anyway I decided to install a DVD player. I have two options: Pyle MP4 which can play all the DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, S-VCD, VCD, CD, MP3, WMA, DivX/MPEG4 formats or Playstation 2 (slim) for DVD only and potentially games. What would you choose?

For those who already have installed PS2 - how user friendly is it as a car DVD player? How is it with the IR eye and the big remote?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Eddie23
I have a dillema and wanted to ask your opinion. I will be replacing the navi system in two weeks (the Infiniti US one cannot be converted to work in Europe) and as my dash will be stripped anyway I decided to install a DVD player. I have two options: Pyle MP4 which can play all the DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, S-VCD, VCD, CD, MP3, WMA, DivX/MPEG4 formats or Playstation 2 (slim) for DVD only and potentially games. What would you choose?

For those who already have installed PS2 - how user friendly is it as a car DVD player? How is it with the IR eye and the big remote?
I haven't installed a PS2 on my G (yet) but I can tell you that it won't be a good idea because the PS2 can only play Region 1 Encoded DVD's (NTSC format) while I believe Germany falls in Region 2 which is (PAL format). I'm not familiar with the Pyle MP4 but it sounds like it may be Region Free meaning it can play multiple formats. There are various websites that offer Region Free DVD players and also websites that perhaps tell you how to modify your player thus voiding your warranty of course.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
I think there should be no problem with the region compatibility as I would install a German PS2. I will not be driving the G in the US anyway.

In which place do you plan to install it yourself? The glovebox?
Do I need the PAC unit for the PS2 to work with the factory screen?

Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 05 glovebox might be too small for the new ps2 slim, and yes you will need some sort of RGB converter to be able to utilize the screen. However, make sure what type of input you will be using (NTCS, PAL, etccc) with the PS2 so that when you buy your module, you'll be sure it'll accept that type of input.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks. Is the RGB conveter also necessary to install an aftermarket navi system with the stock navi screen? Or is it only for DVD?

Old 04-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't know if the glove box for the 05 is different but here is a link to the thread where the guy put the new ps2 in the glove box. He has an '04. Good luck.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=slim

Old 04-30-2005, 05:40 AM
I must add that with the RGB converter, you may not get your movies to display properly from the PS2. It'll display games in nice RGB color but when you play movies, the PS2 automatically switches to composite video mode. You can look in the manual for further info. I know this from experience when GeneratorLabs and I prototyped a unit similar to the NavBox, but for PS2.