Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

My New Stuff: elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Stuff: elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)

I always appreciate when people post details about their installs and it's finally my turn.

Overview
Car: ’05 G35 Sedan w/Premium Package C & Navigation
Objective: Upgrade the not-so-wonderful Bose stereo speakers

Parts
  • Front Components: Diamond Audio S600s (6.5”)
  • Rear Coaxials: Memphis MC60 (6.5”)
  • Subwoofer: elemental designs 11Ov.2 (10”)
  • Subwoofer Box: 4080 Sedan Box w/Infiniti Grill
  • Amp#1: 4 x 65W elemental designs NINe.4
  • Amp#2: 1 x 400W elemental designs NINe.2
  • LOC: David Navone 4 channel + a LOC for the subwoofer (not sure what brand, it was supplied by Sound Advice)
  • Miscellaneous: Optima YellowTop Battery, Memphis Audio cables/wires, sound deadening in trunk

Installation
Installation was performed by Sound Advice in Mission Viejo (highly recommended...extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff).

The Bose Amp was disconnected and replaced with the 2 elemental designs (eD) amps. The Bose subwoofer was also removed to allow the sound from the trunk into the cabin.

Hats off to Sound Advice...I went to at least 10 local stereo shops and none of them gave me a straight answer regarding time required or price. I e-mailed Rudy (frequenter of this forum) and he was able to give me a very detailed quote over e-mail! Plus, they did an amazing job!

Impressions
I'm really happy with all the parts I chose for my install. I was originally going to go the MB Quart (speakers) + JL Audio (amps) route that seems to be popular (not that that's bad), but decided to try something a little less conventional after visiting various other forums. elemental designs makes some really awesome stuff -- they are reasonably priced, have amazing customer support (they answer e-mails within hours + they provide a 3 year warranty on all their stuff no matter who installs it), and their stuff is really high quality.

The 4080 box, as everyone who's tried one can tell you, is a perfect fit and sounds awesome. On my way home today after the installation, I experienced what people refer to as bass that you can feel in your chest/gives you headaches -- I ended up turning the gain down on the sub amp. The bass is really tight and thumping and goes well with everything.

Places I Bought Stuff
www.elementaldesigns.com (amps + sub)
www.onlinecarstereo.com (Diamond Audio stuff)
www.davidnavone.com (LOC)
www.carsoundadvice.net (installation + Optima battery + rear speakers)

Pictures

Attached Thumbnails My New Stuff:  elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)-ampsinstalled.jpg   My New Stuff:  elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)-subnogrill.jpg   My New Stuff:  elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)-subwithgrill.jpg  
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Very nice clean install! I just did my coupe, but where did you get that grill cover for the sub???

Old 05-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by speedygp
Very nice clean install! I just did my coupe, but where did you get that grill cover for the sub???
Thanks speedygp,

I opted for the optional Infiniti grill cover when I bought my 4080 box (4080 is a forum member who makes sub boxes on this forum). You can try PM'ing him but I'm not sure what the fit would be like on a non-4080 box (it's a perfect fit).

Good luck!
Thomas

Old 05-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Another Elemental Designs sub fan! Their subs are the ****! I have the 13Ov2 in Drewer's (forum member) custom box, pushed by the Nine.2. Very nice indeed.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Sound Advice
Thomas,

Thanks so much for picking our shop to get your install done. It was a pleasure having you down here and congrats on a great sounding system.

Rudy

Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Nice.. how much did all of that set you back?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by SagiSRP
Nice.. how much did all of that set you back?
Thanks SagiSRP.

It ended up running me a little over $2100 total.
amps = $405
sub = $175
4080 box = $335 (that's including shipping)
front components + coaxs = $480
2 LOCs = $50
Optima = $180
misc including labor, wires, sound proofing, etc. = $535
I'm really happy with everything and I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade (though I might add a JL Cleansweep to see if it makes any difference).

Thomas

Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
What LOCs did you end up using? I picked up a set of Elemental Designs 6500s components. I plan to power them with a JL amp and from what I've read, you need to use a line out converter since there are no pre-amps on the stock HU. Anyone have a diagram of which wires to tap from the stock harness?

Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Espresso
What LOCs did you end up using? I picked up a set of Elemental Designs 6500s components. I plan to power them with a JL amp and from what I've read, you need to use a line out converter since there are no pre-amps on the stock HU. Anyone have a diagram of which wires to tap from the stock harness?
Hi Espresso,

I ended up getting a David Navone N-774V 4 channel LOC: http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm. I'm not sure which LOC for the sub (it was supplied by the installer since I forgot to get one!).

I read on this forum that the JL "slash" series lets you hook up directly without a LOC (but double check since I'm not positive).

Thomas

Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 PM
^^ Thanks for the reply. I will be using the JL 300/4 amp so I'm not sure if I will need a LOC or not.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Sound Advice
For the 300/4 you will not need the LOC. You will need an RCA to Speaker Wire Adaptor.

http://www.jlaudio.com/ecs/aicsw.html

Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rudy
For the 300/4 you will not need the LOC. You will need an RCA to Speaker Wire Adaptor.

Damn, awesome info on this forum. Any of idea of how much this adapter cost? I can't find an online store that carries it. Rudy, do you suggest tapping this adapter before the Bose amp harness and wiring it to the JL 300/4? I read in another post that you said to tap in after the Bose amp for better sound quality.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Technically speaking you dont need a LOC adaptor of any kind. The Blose HU sends a signal to the Bose amp. With that being said a simple splice of the speakers outputs (With RCAs)at the HU would result in having preouts from there. You are just converting the signal from a speaker wire to an RCA. Works wonders for the Maxima owners...

Old 05-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Great info from you guys. Since I don't need to run RCA cables from the HU to the trunk, I'm guessing 2 meter RCA cables are more than enough.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Rudy

I'm having problems find this adapter online or at local audio shops. Can you make this adapter by using regular RCA cables or does anyone have an alternative?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My New Stuff: elemental designs + Diamond Audio + 4080 box (with Pics)